SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 25-11-21, 01:58 PM   #10251
Seeker
Mega Poster

Default Re: Gripe of the day - What is yours?

Software updates.

I have a Lenovo 330S laptop that I have never liked. I replaced it with an HP Probook (much better) but still use the Lenovo occasionally for streaming. On last boot I was informed that there was an update for my Radeon (graphics) software and foolishly I went ahead.
It re-introduced a recurring issue with the Lenovo that means it won't shut down or restart - the screen blanks off but the power button stays lit and the keyboard is inoperative. You have to force quit by holding the power switch down. I turned back the driver update but it didn't help, I did find that safe mode fixed the problem but trying to isolate the start up setting or particular driver eluded me (and considerably raised my blood pressure).

I reset Win10 and, of course, that didn't help. I even tried Win10 21H2 which windows update has been pushing; nope.
I'm currently wiping the laptop completely and loading Win10 1809 which is quite old. This in itself proved more aggravating since pressing F12 at the Lenovo screen didn't start the process - another hour or so wasted. It suddenly decided to play - maybe there's a 5 microsecond time slot when you have to press F12?

This Lenovo has always been quirky (and that's being generous), I had to run sfc /scannow quite often on it because it would suddenly get slow or programs stopped working, meanwhile my original Toshiba Satellite laptop chugs along with no issues.

Edit: Well 1809 has fixed the problem, now I have to wade back through all the win10 updates

Last edited by Seeker; 25-11-21 at 02:54 PM.
Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-21, 06:33 PM   #10252
Sir Trev
Mega Poster

Some of my colleagues have been testing my patience today. Have been busy on a report the boss asked for but two people thought I should stop and help them with their tasks instead because they did not think to ask me in good time. Sorry, but your failure to plan ahead does not make it my problem! "I'll help you tomorrow if I finish this in time" was not the answer either of them wanted apparently.
Old 26-11-21, 10:17 AM   #10253
embee
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by embee View Post
It is standard practice for would-be dictatorships to gain power by identifying an "enemy" and using popularism to win votes on the basis of bigotry and prejudice, xenophobia, lies etc. Vote for us and we'll sort "them" out for you.

Once in power they take measures to control state media (e.g. BBC), and then take measures to restrict or neuter the state justice system, at least the bits they don't like which are usually the parts which can hold the government to account. Look at any despot or dictator and you'll find those measures in the power grabbing process. Once they get to the point where it is near impossible to actually challenge them, they grant themselves emergency powers or use statutory instruments (not requiring Parliamentary debate) to simply enact the laws they want.

Familiar?

Be careful, we get what we deserve.
The next nail in the coffin of freedom and democracy?
https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknew...edgdhp&pc=U531

I'm not alone in perceiving the regime as a "would be" dictatorship.
https://www.thenational.scot/news/19...boris-johnson/
(other more detailed articles in other publications)
Old 26-11-21, 04:36 PM   #10254
Bibio
Mega Poster

about time something was done about protesting scum who get up in arms about nothing... insulation is a prime example... really insulation..... fek aff and get a life. i would personally want to see the water jet cannons or rubber bullets shot at them. who do they think they are disrupting peoples every day life's. how would they like it if i went and chained myself to their door in protest of them protesting. effin morons of the first order.

well done the Gov for having the balls (slight pun) to do it.. its about time this country got tough.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-21, 04:48 PM   #10255
CheGuevara

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
about time something was done about protesting scum who get up in arms about nothing... insulation is a prime example... really insulation..... fek aff and get a life. i would personally want to see the water jet cannons or rubber bullets shot at them. who do they think they are disrupting peoples every day life's. how would they like it if i went and chained myself to their door in protest of them protesting. effin morons of the first order.

well done the Gov for having the balls (slight pun) to do it.. its about time this country got tough.

Bit harsh. Did they hold you up on the way to your jazzercise class at the local senior's centre?
CheGuevara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-21, 05:07 PM   #10256
Bibio
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheGuevara View Post
Bit harsh. Did they hold you up on the way to your jazzercise class at the local senior's centre?
not harsh enough.. think of the people that can die due to emergency services not getting through in time. people getting held up in traffic for hours on end. kids standing outside schools waiting on someone picking them up (stranger danger alert) lack of police that would otherwise maybe catch some criminals... the list goes on and on. not to mention how much it costs the taxpayer.. which in turn pushes up the cost of living... or reduces services. does protesting by affixing ones self to stuff sound like a good idea now?

i dont like they way i have to stand in a queue in a shop but do i go and chain myself to the doors of it in protest..... no. so why should i have to suffer morons that only think about what THEY are doing. there is enough of that going around already.

i dont object to protesting but be sensible about it.. if you dont like something about how your Gov runs your country then vote for someone you do want in power..... not just one of the big two.. want change then make change by not being a sheep.

thats my rant of the day
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-21, 06:42 PM   #10257
embee
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
... think of the people that can die due to emergency services not getting through in time. .....
Fair point .....
https://www.theguardian.com/society/...side-ae-report
Old 26-11-21, 07:12 PM   #10258
svenrico

Quote:
Originally Posted by embee View Post
I agree there should be 'some' control over demonstrations and holding up emergency vehicles is unacceptable, but that article is about the delays experienced by ambulance crews in handing over patients after they arrive at hospitals.
svenrico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-21, 01:11 PM   #10259
embee
Mega Poster

The good old taxpayer picks up another £94M bill to pay for the deeds of the management of Post Office Ltd and the Horizon scandal.
https://www.msn.com/en-gb/money/othe...edgdhp&pc=U531
Old 27-11-21, 01:26 PM   #10260
MrMessy

The trend to use "passed" instead of saying died! Cannot even say passed away! Is this an American thing?
MrMessy is offline   Reply With Quote