SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 17-09-21, 05:20 PM   #1
gadget

Default Alternative clutch cable for curvy

Hi all, I've now added 3 inch risers and ABM superbike bars to my curvy 'S', I've had no issues with throttle cable length at all as all I had to do was reroute them from in front of the forks to behind the forks as they exit from the right side of the fame headstock with a nice 'straight shot' and gentle curve up the the bars, so all good there. I have now ordered some new extended brake lines and now the only issue I have is the clutch cable, I understand that the naked cable has the extra reach I'll need but from what I've seen and heard so far it still can be a little tight! Is this correct? With this in mind ... has anyone fitted a cable from any other model with total 100% success with zero issues and zero last minute mods to make it fit? Ie... v-strom / bandit / etc. Ideally I would like it to be a 'plug 'n' play' swap.
Can anyone recommend what they themselves have done?
Cheers all.
gadget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-21, 01:58 PM   #2
gadget

Default Re: Alternative clutch cable for curvy

Decided to bite the bullet and buy an 06 vstrom clutch cable, apparently lots of success was had using one of these on a curvy 's' due to it's good length and shallower bend in the metal tube before the clutch pull. All fittings are apparently the same so shouldn't have any agro fitting it.
Old 03-10-21, 12:11 PM   #3
gadget

Quick update on vstrom clutch cable... fitted it a couple of days ago and it was a complete doddle to fit, no issues with length or routing either. Really pleased with the results. I thought the original 'S' cable was in good condition but after fitting the vstrom cable... much smoother. Just have to decide how I'm going to refit the master cylinder now as there's no provision for it on the new bars.
Old 03-10-21, 02:59 PM   #4
garynortheast
Mega Poster

That's going to be useful info about the clutch cable for anyone else making the same change.

As an extra piece of info for curvy owners.....
The standard clutch cable on the curvy has has a large radius curved steel guide at the handle bar end. I found that it used to rub on some of the dash/fascia. I replaced it with the cable from a 1986 GSXR400 GK71F which has a tighter radius, clears the dash much better, is a perfect fit, and a direct swap.

An unexpected bonus was the fact that the clutch action is much lighter and smoother. No idea why, I would have expected the tighter curve to make the the action heavier.
garynortheast is offline   Reply With Quote