SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 06-10-21, 04:52 PM   #1
gadget

Default Alternative mirrors for curvy 'S' ?

Hi all, as title suggestes.. I'll be needing some slightly longer stemmed mirrors for my curvy 'S' as now gotten rid of the clip-ons andI've fitted risers and bars ... the brake and clutch levers contact the very bottom of the mirrors on full lock! The screen has now been trimmed and clears all the bars controls etc but levers hit the mirrors. So ... does anyone know of a straight forward replacement ... a bit wider/ longer stems too as the 'S' mirrors gave a great view of my elbow with clip-ons but now with higher bars are even worse!
Anyone done this? Not really wanting to go with bar end mirrors unless I absolutely have to.
Cheers all.
gadget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-21, 11:20 AM   #2
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

Default Re: Alternative mirrors for curvy 'S' ?

IIRC they are standard 10mm fitting?

If so there's loads on eBay,

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_f...rs=spell_check
Old 08-10-21, 03:30 PM   #3
gadget

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1ffR4ff View Post
IIRC they are standard 10mm fitting?

If so there's loads on eBay,

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_f...rs=spell_check
Thanks for the link, but I'm looking for alternative fairing mirrors, was hoping to get a pair from a different bike that's a bit higher using the original fairing mounts and hopefully the same bolt pattern. If it's going to be a right pita .. I'll have to go with bar ends.
Old 08-10-21, 04:13 PM   #4
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadget View Post
Thanks for the link, but I'm looking for alternative fairing mirrors, was hoping to get a pair from a different bike that's a bit higher using the original fairing mounts and hopefully the same bolt pattern. If it's going to be a right pita .. I'll have to go with bar ends.
Do you have a motorcycle shop local that does 2nd hand spares. We have a couple here in HU4.

Google map it it for your area or even Gumtree.
Old 09-10-21, 06:26 AM   #5
gadget

Unfortunately not, the only breakers/spares outlets are all 'on-line' dealers. No actual shops near me I've called deal in used spares! The only possibilities I've come across is Honda NC30 mirrors, same bolt fixing, a little longer but ... no higher to allow my bars and levers to clear them on full lock!
Having said all that... I've now spotted a couple of options for bar end mirrors ( as a second choice) and tbh I think they're probably going to look pretty good.
It's all a bit of a faff tbh as I'm retaining the curvy faring but have changed the yoke to 3 inch risers and superbike bars so everything is a bit of a compromise... fitment wise.
Old 09-10-21, 04:27 PM   #6
Airsafari87

3d print some spacers.
Airsafari87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-21, 08:15 AM   #7
gadget

Good call, it's not just the width of the standard mirrors that's the problem but the height also! Just using spacers will only take care of the width and not the height in order to clear the levers on full lock.
I have heard that Honda NC30 mirrors bolt straight up and are a little wider but I'm unsure if they are any higher to avoid the levers issue.
Old 10-10-21, 06:41 PM   #8
gadget

Well... after all the faffing about and indecision on mirror choice, I have now made my own glass fibre mirror spacers, approximately 12mm thick slightly angled upwards too ( kind of wedge shaped), then removed the oem m6 studs from the mirrors and replaced them with longer studding to take care of the extra thickness. Once the stud was thread locked in place, the spacers were fitted and the studs were slightly angled upwards so the sleeved fixings lined up perfectly. So ... levers and bars completely clear the oem 'S' mirrors now, are also slightly wider and higher. Mirrors have enough adjustment left to get the right viewing angles and dont look out of place. All in all ... a good day, glad I didn't g down the 'bar end' route or alternative mirrors nightmare!.