SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 12-11-21, 08:01 PM   #1
garynortheast
Mega Poster

Default Universe

Anybody else watching this? I'm finding it absolutely fascinating. Up to episode four now, all about black holes.
garynortheast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-21, 09:33 PM   #2
Seeker
Mega Poster

Default Re: Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by garynortheast View Post
Anybody else watching this? I'm finding it absolutely fascinating. Up to episode four now, all about black holes.
I've been watching it. Truthfully, I'm a little disappointed because it seems to be so dumbed down and slow. The effects are great but how many times do I need to see professor Cox trudging across snow, sand or sailing across oceans? I haven't seen the black hole episode yet but I will continue to watch the series.
Old 13-11-21, 12:24 AM   #3
svenrico

I watched the episode on how the universe was formed which was very good , but I just can't grasp the concept of the universe ,galaxies and infinity !
svenrico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-21, 11:04 AM   #4
embee
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker View Post
..... it seems to be so dumbed down and slow. .....
That seems to be the way these days. It's a bit like the media (BBC) making the same inane statement every day about "number of deaths recorded within 28 days of " ...... blah blah, or explaining every time what the Northern Ireland agreement is. Yes, we get it, we got it 12 months ago.
People who watch science documentaries are generally interested and moderately educated in the subject. Wake up programme makers, you are not going to attract those who know absolutely nothing about the subject and keep their attention by playing continuous background music and stretching it out with arty-farty imagery, and it's likely to put the more involved folk off watching because it's so dumbed down and tediously slow, as Seeker says.

If you haven't got enough content to make it a one hour prog, then make it a 30min one and keep it to the point. It's rarely a case of limited attention span, more usually a case of giving it a few minutes benefit of the doubt before deciding it's just dross.

Billy Connolly on weather forecast dumbing down ....... "Here's a wee cloud.... "
Old 13-11-21, 12:24 PM   #5
svenrico

Quote:
Originally Posted by embee View Post
That seems to be the way these days. It's a bit like the media (BBC) making the same inane statement every day about "number of deaths recorded within 28 days of " ...... blah blah, or explaining every time what the Northern Ireland agreement is. Yes, we get it, we got it 12 months ago.
People who watch science documentaries are generally interested and moderately educated in the subject. Wake up programme makers, you are not going to attract those who know absolutely nothing about the subject and keep their attention by playing continuous background music and stretching it out with arty-farty imagery, and it's likely to put the more involved folk off watching because it's so dumbed down and tediously slow, as Seeker says.

If you haven't got enough content to make it a one hour prog, then make it a 30min one and keep it to the point. It's rarely a case of limited attention span, more usually a case of giving it a few minutes benefit of the doubt before deciding it's just dross.

Billy Connolly on weather forecast dumbing down ....... "Here's a wee cloud.... "
I think the computer generated imagery on something like Brian Cox's universe programme that I watched helped explain things. After all, the topic isn't exactly that easy to understand.
ps if anybody can explain infinity ,please let me know.
Old 13-11-21, 12:36 PM   #6
embee
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by svenrico View Post
.....if anybody can explain infinity ,please let me know.
How long have you got?
Old 13-11-21, 12:39 PM   #7
svenrico

Quote:
How long have you got?
Not an infinite amount of time !
Old 13-11-21, 12:47 PM   #8
embee
Mega Poster

You're not going fast enough.
Old 13-11-21, 01:03 PM   #9
svenrico

Quote:
You're not going fast enough.
That was another thing, Einstein's theory of relativity, always had a bit of trouble with that !
Old 14-11-21, 10:22 AM   #10
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Quote:

Pretty much everything is dumbed down these days, or hyped up in the case of some things to do with climate and covid 'cases (as opposed to people who are actually sick enough to need hospital ), if you are testing every man and their dog twice a week you are bound to find a lot of cases.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote