SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 27-12-12, 06:33 PM   #1
savage86

Default Scotland trip

Starting to plan a mini tour of Scotland. Thinking of stopping off and camping for a few days at loch lomond and also fort william/ben nevis for a spot of hiking and exploring. Start and end point will be stranraer.

Just wondering is there anything else thats worth seeing around these parts, hiked loch lomond before never got a chance to do nevis due to weather.

Rather more interested in nature and scenery than nice pubs lol yes i'm an old man stuck in a young man's body all thoughts appreciated.
Old 27-12-12, 10:52 PM   #2
christoph

Default Re: Scotland trip

if your interested in hiking you might want to head round to glencoe,not far from fort william.much more exiting than 'the ben' and beautiful views,the roads are great aswell.some good climbing including the aonach eager which is a fantastic scramble.you've also got the buachaille just along the road which is one of the most photographed mountains in scotland.theres some nice cafes in aviemore if you're round that way

dont worry you're not the only one who prefers the outdoors

Last edited by christoph; 27-12-12 at 10:55 PM.
Old 27-12-12, 11:03 PM   #3
Bibio
Mega Poster

when are you thinking of gracing us?
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-12, 12:09 AM   #4
savage86

Quote:
Originally Posted by christoph View Post
if your interested in hiking you might want to head round to glencoe,not far from fort william.much more exiting than 'the ben' and beautiful views,the roads are great aswell.some good climbing including the aonach eager which is a fantastic scramble.you've also got the buachaille just along the road which is one of the most photographed mountains in scotland.theres some nice cafes in aviemore if you're round that way

dont worry you're not the only one who prefers the outdoors
Thank you sir i'll look into that maybe split my time have always wanted to climb nevis just to say i have if nothing else. You wouldn't know of any good campsites around that part have been stung by pics and bogus reviews before on websites before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
when are you thinking of gracing us?
At the minute im looking around the 2nd week in April if all goes to plan but nothing set in stone so far.
Old 28-12-12, 08:47 AM   #5
christoph

cant help with any campsites there im afraid but its a massive tourist trap so there should be plenty,think theres a couple down glen nevis(filmed some of braveheart down there).the site i normally use is ukcampsite.co.uk. it's pritty decent and has honest reviews.be prepared for some snow on the summits,normally stays for months.make sure you have a tatse aswell,very refreshing...but not the yellow stuff...

Last edited by christoph; 28-12-12 at 08:55 AM.
Old 28-12-12, 11:39 AM   #6
-Ralph-

Are you going on the bike? If so I'm more than happy to recommend roads.

Campsites, there is a good on actually at the entrance to Glen Nevis itself. Ben Nevis is just to say youve done it TBH, its a very easy and well trodden path as you can imagine, old ladies and young kids do it in flip flops every summer, not exactly a challenge.

Hills to climb, you can pretty much take your pick and you wont be disappointed. There is a ridge on the next mountain north of Glencoe which is very spectacular, it may have been mentioned above but I forget the name of it. TBH there are loads of websites that will give you info on mountains to climb, much better than you may get on a motorbike forum.
Old 28-12-12, 12:01 PM   #7
savage86

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Ralph- View Post
Are you going on the bike? If so I'm more than happy to recommend roads.

Campsites, there is a good on actually at the entrance to Glen Nevis itself. Ben Nevis is just to say youve done it TBH, its a very easy and well trodden path as you can imagine, old ladies and young kids do it in flip flops every summer, not exactly a challenge.

Hills to climb, you can pretty much take your pick and you wont be disappointed. There is a ridge on the next mountain north of Glencoe which is very spectacular, it may have been mentioned above but I forget the name of it. TBH there are loads of websites that will give you info on mountains to climb, much better than you may get on a motorbike forum.

Yeah will be taking the bike. So wouldn't mind an afternoon exploring roads around the area.

Yeah have seen the Glen Nevis campsite website seems reasonable enough and is the front runner at the moment. Don't want to difficult a hike this time as im recovering from a dislocated knee at the moment all being well it shouldn't be a problem to climb Ben.

Have been looking up info on the surrounding area's is there anything further up into the highlands that is worth seeing/doing? Might extend my stay a day or too if something caught my eye, have toyed with the idea of going to john O'Groats again just to say i've been.
Old 28-12-12, 01:10 PM   #8
Dicky Ticker

Just go to SKYE good campsite in the Broadford-Portree road[middle] Cullins to walk /hike spectacular scenery and nice day rides round the island.You can do Ben Nevis on the way up and the youth hostel is opposite the little bridge that leads to the path.The YH is about 2 miles up Glen Nevis.
Loch Lomond is overated and no wild camping due to yobbos,better to go up via Callander,Loch Katrin and the Duke's Pass, on to the Green Welly across Glencoe to Ft William and Glen Nevis.
Old 28-12-12, 01:21 PM   #9
joshwalker094
Mega Poster

Watching fifth gear, A93 looks a nice a road and is highest public road in the uk
Originally Posted by Reeder View Post
Josh Walker sounds quite an epic name to be honest.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reeder View Post
JOSH WALKERRRRRRRRRRRR

joshwalker094 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-12, 05:24 PM   #10
Bibio
Mega Poster

A93 is nice.

sorry to offend residents but Ft Billy is a shizz hole, its only good for petrol and Neptune's Staircase.

the general area of Sky is by far the best place to be as there is loads to see.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote