SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 27-01-09, 02:09 PM   #1
Nobbylad
Mega Poster

Default Other pillion grab rail/handle options

Does anyone know of any options for pillion grab rails/handles other than:-

- the stock grab rail
- love handles (or similar)
- the handles that fit onto the fuel filler assembly?

I took the rear grab rail off to fit my sw-motech rack and the rack itself is difficult for a pillion to hold onto. Don't like the idea (or price) of the handles that fit on the fuel filler assembly and have tried the love handles without too much joy.

Was wondering if anyone has seen any handles that can/would fit on or near the undertray on the SV or if there are any other options out there.

Have searched the net and the forum but can't really see anything else available.

Thanks
Nobbylad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-09, 02:21 PM   #2
Gazza77

Default Re: Other pillion grab rail/handle options

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobbylad View Post
Does anyone know of any options for pillion grab rails/handles other than:-

- the stock grab rail
- love handles (or similar)
- the handles that fit onto the fuel filler assembly?

I took the rear grab rail off to fit my sw-motech rack and the rack itself is difficult for a pillion to hold onto. Don't like the idea (or price) of the handles that fit on the fuel filler assembly and have tried the love handles without too much joy.

Was wondering if anyone has seen any handles that can/would fit on or near the undertray on the SV or if there are any other options out there.

Have searched the net and the forum but can't really see anything else available.

Thanks
Do you actually need any? Could your pillion not just hold onto you as needed; I tend to find as an ocassional pillion that I don't really need to hold onto anything other than for sharp acceleration and breaking. A triboseat cover would also help, as it will stop the pillion sliding about so much.

Then Triumph Sprint ST with scottoiler and R&Gs & TOR exhaust

Now Benelli Tornado
Gazza77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-09, 02:26 PM   #3
Dappa D

not sure what they are called but have seen something that that rider wears around the midriff that has handles on.........although thats not a big difference to holdong onto you
Old 27-01-09, 02:27 PM   #4
philbut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dappa D View Post
not sure what they are called but have seen something that that rider wears around the midriff that has handles on.........although thats not a big difference to holdong onto you
Those are the love handles.
Old 27-01-09, 02:35 PM   #5
Nobbylad
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazza77 View Post
Do you actually need any? Could your pillion not just hold onto you as needed; I tend to find as an ocassional pillion that I don't really need to hold onto anything other than for sharp acceleration and breaking. A triboseat cover would also help, as it will stop the pillion sliding about so much.
The wife feels more comfortable holding onto something solid (other than me ) and whilst my riding style is neither jerky nor fast acceleration/deceleration, if it makes her feel more comfortable then so be it.

Again, it's not really about her being safe, it's about her 'feeling' safe. The triboseat wouldn't really help as there are no issues with her sliding about, it's just that she wants to feel more secure.
Old 27-01-09, 04:04 PM   #6
FG1

If you aren't taking the rack of why not put a top box on. She can't complain then surely..
Old 27-01-09, 04:06 PM   #7
Nobbylad
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by FG1 View Post
If you aren't taking the rack of why not put a top box on. She can't complain then surely..
You've not met my wife!

Seriously, the Givi soft luggage I have clips on/off the rack so isn't used all of the time, however when it is on, it's too far back for her to use as any support etc.

Really wondered if you can get grab rails that go either side of the bike underneath the pillion seat nr. the undertray? I might just have to make something that bolts onto the fixings of the motech rack.
Old 27-01-09, 04:13 PM   #8
missyburd

Get a sissy bar

How many times has she been pillion? Is it just the feel of being on the back she needs to get used to?
Old 27-01-09, 04:16 PM   #9
Dappa D

Quote:
Originally Posted by philbut View Post
Those are the love handles.
ahh kk....in that case nah cant help lol....
Old 27-01-09, 04:29 PM   #10
Nobbylad
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by missyorkie_chris View Post
Get a sissy bar

How many times has she been pillion? Is it just the feel of being on the back she needs to get used to?
She's been on the back loads, but always liked the comfort of being able to hold onto the rear grab rail when she wanted to move from just holding onto me/leaning her hands against the tank.

Since I fitted my sw motech rack, she's missing the (mostly psychological) support of having the grab rail available to hold onto.

The rack is just a bit too tight to the seat to get your fingers under.