SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Thames Valley Rideouts and meets for Thames Valleyers and beyond..

Old 29-01-08, 05:29 PM   #21
Stig

Default Re: Good luck Si

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASM-Forever View Post
Bonus....you might be able to keep it.

In that case i retract my well wishes.
I'd expect nothing else
Old 29-01-08, 08:14 PM   #22
Messie
The Teacer
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by HooliganDan View Post
What, did they have two wheeled motor scooters back then?

I'm a cheeky so and so.
Not only did they exist, our esteemed moderator used to ride one - scooter that is

Oooops sorry did I say that out loud?

GWS poor little pinkie - didn't go 'weee, weee weee all the way home then'?

xx
Old 29-01-08, 08:24 PM   #23
K

Well I s'pose at least now you can accurately assess which is more inconvenient - a bent pinky or a straight one.

Wonder why they didn't think of attempted repair before and initially went straight for the 'off'?
Old 30-01-08, 07:22 AM   #24
Stig

Quote:
Originally Posted by K View Post
Well I s'pose at least now you can accurately assess which is more inconvenient - a bent pinky or a straight one.

Wonder why they didn't think of attempted repair before and initially went straight for the 'off'?
We did have a discussion about it. Before the op had actually taken place it was thought (primarily because I said so) that one of the tendons had snapped. I thought this as this is what I had been told previously by another surgeon. A Harley Street based surgeon no less. Goes to show just because it's Harley Street, doesn't mean they are all excellent surgeons who know everything. Anyway during the op he realised that the tendons are still in fact attached and as such repair was a possible option.

I haven't been able to use that finger properly for many years so whether I get all the movement I require to stop the finger getting in the way of my riding is yet to be seen. Physio starts Monday.

At the moment I am prepared to leave it as a result of a motorcycle accident in the time before dinosaurs, but it looks increasingly more likely that the finger injury and the bending of the finger is more a coincidence than a direct result of the accident.

I suffer from Raynaud's. Look it up for those that don't know what that is. It would now seem the surgeon thinks I could be suffering from CREST Syndrome. The two are both linked. He examined all my other fingers and there is evidence that three other fingers are showing signs of doing the same thing (curling over). This is really not cool so I will carry on believing it was an accident and is now sorted. I should get more information on Monday.
Old 30-01-08, 09:49 AM   #25
Fizzy Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigApe View Post
and second, I could watch the operation.
weirdo!

good luck with the recovery btw
Old 30-01-08, 10:22 AM   #26
Stig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fizzy Fish View Post
weirdo!
Do you remember the scene from Terminator where he cuts the skin off his wrist and you see all the mechanics working inside. It was like that with my finger. I tried as much as possible to move my finger so I could watch the internal parts move. I couldn't do it because of the injections to block movement but need not have worried. The surgeon rigged me up to an electrical circuit to see if my nerves were still working. So I got to see it in action anyway.

It wasn't like you see in the movies but cool none the less.
Old 31-01-08, 01:10 PM   #27
Warthog

That's good news then, you might not be a freak after all! Let's hope you can get the finger out for all of us to see next time we meet!
Old 31-01-08, 01:14 PM   #28
Mr Toad

Good news you've still got it

It occured to me that you could have Mark's toe grafted on instead

Might smell a bit though

Old 31-01-08, 01:25 PM   #29
SoulKiss
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigApe View Post
Do you remember the scene from Terminator where he cuts the skin off his wrist and you see all the mechanics working inside. It was like that with my finger. I tried as much as possible to move my finger so I could watch the internal parts move. I couldn't do it because of the injections to block movement but need not have worried. The surgeon rigged me up to an electrical circuit to see if my nerves were still working. So I got to see it in action anyway.

It wasn't like you see in the movies but cool none the less.
And no camera phone footage - damn.

Well glad to hear the good news

█╬╬╬╬()i¯i▀▀▀▀▀█Ξ███████████████████████████████)
SoulKiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-08, 01:35 PM   #30
Stig

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulKiss View Post
And no camera phone footage - damn.

Well glad to hear the good news

No unfortunately not I'm not really sure the surgeon would have been happy with that, but I guess I should have thought about it and asked anyway.

I have high hopes as to the success of the operation. I took all the dressings off as I was getting very frustrated losing the use of my whole hand just for a little operation on my little finger.

I now have just the little finger bandaged up and I can already see that I can straighten it to almost vertical again. Until the stitches have dissolved and the cut has healed, I don't really want to test it. But I have a feeling it will be as good as it was before.