SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

East Anglian Revolution If you're based in East Anglia, then this could be for you.

Old 27-01-10, 07:49 PM   #511
Seggons

Default Re: 'Ere 'ere is the EAR Megathread

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellyjo View Post
Just been looking at the GM3 threads. Is anyone going from the EAR? Has anyone done either of the first two? Looks really appealing, its just so far away!!!
I've been on the last two but this years one is looking very unlikely. It is one of the greatest trips you can do. The people are great, the roads are amazing and the scenery is spectacular. Just make sure you spend plenty of time up there, don't go just for the weekend because you'll regret it when your back.

The ride up there isn't that bad. The last 2 I've been with Pete and Lissa, we get up early, get sorted, throw the luggage on and go. We then hold a suitable progressive pace, a couple of fuel stops and a nice lunch stop and we are there. Don't let the distance put you off because it is such a blast.
Old 27-01-10, 09:24 PM   #512
kellyjo

Cheers Seggsy!!
The problem is that its during term time and although the kids are with their dad that weekend i would need to be back by monday tea time. How long did it take to get up there? Do you think it would be realistic to leave home friday 9.30am, ride out saturday and sunday and then come back monday during the day, bearing in mind that i would usually sit at 85-90mph on the motorways? Sorry for all the questions, just not sure if i should commit or not. Apparently the campsite is the same as for GM1, was it ok or did you camp and freeze? I really want to go just not sure if it'd be asking too much of myself timewise
Old 27-01-10, 09:59 PM   #513
Seggons

Quote:
Cheers Seggsy!!
The problem is that its during term time and although the kids are with their dad that weekend i would need to be back by monday tea time. How long did it take to get up there? Do you think it would be realistic to leave home friday 9.30am, ride out saturday and sunday and then come back monday during the day, bearing in mind that i would usually sit at 85-90mph on the motorways? Sorry for all the questions, just not sure if i should commit or not. Apparently the campsite is the same as for GM1, was it ok or did you camp and freeze? I really want to go just not sure if it'd be asking too much of myself timewise
I'm not 100% sure and I'm sure if Pete or Lissa see this they will correct me if I'm wrong. I think we left for 8 - 9 in the morning and got there for about 3 or 4. It is feasible to do as you plan and do just the weekend. But I'm sure you'd enjoy it more if you could spend the Monday up there and come back Tuesday. Think of it as a mini break or something.

I did camp at the GM1 camp-site and it wasn't too bad. To go to bed I wore a thin jumper and thin bottoms with a warm-ish sleeping bag on a airbed. The issue I had was my tent was only 1 skin thick, so each time I touched it I got wet. With me also being quite tall my head hit one side and my toes the other.

The other thing to take note of is to make sure your bikes ready. Tyres need to be reasonably fresh. Since you'll be motorwaying it the centre of the tyres work hard. Make sure your chain and sprockets are also in good condition. The last thing you want is to get up there and have a chain snap on you.

But overall if you can do it then go for it. If you can spend extra time there it's a bonus.
Old 27-01-10, 10:16 PM   #514
Lissa
Just Ballast
Mega Poster

Kellyjo, according to google maps, Peterborough to Inverarnan is 371 miles, around six and a half hours. Factor in fuel stops and drink/food/pee stops and you're looking at around 8 hours I reckon.

It's a long way to travel if you have to leave on the Monday. Even if you could stay the extra day you'd probably be there on your tod, as those who haven't already gone home will be moving on to other places.

You may find someone to travel up and back with to keep you company though, which would make it less stressful I'm sure.

I'd Rather Have Two Big Bangs Than Four Little Strokes

Last edited by Lissa; 27-01-10 at 10:39 PM.
Lissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-10, 10:37 PM   #515
Seggons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lissa View Post
Kellyjo, according to google maps, Peterborough to Inverarnan is 371 hours,

Maybe if you go via the USA.
Old 27-01-10, 10:40 PM   #516
Lissa
Just Ballast
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seggons View Post

Maybe if you go via the USA.
Or she walks!

I'd Rather Have Two Big Bangs Than Four Little Strokes
Lissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-10, 11:58 PM   #517
Skip
Mega Poster

Quote:
Wanna see a pic of my pussy?

Please don't tell me off skip, it'll just make me worse
Oi keep it clean you!

Quote:
Just think, Skips got all this to come and he has no idea.....heeheehee
I will have you know we have had 4 antenatal classes - expert now me...
Old 28-01-10, 08:32 AM   #518
speedplay

Morning all.

2 hour commute hell this morning on the M6 carpark

I overslept and left home 10 mins later than usual so took the car as I had planned to take the bike but its buried behing 2 crossers and a couple of mountain bikes...

How do people forget to drive when its damp or cold?!
Old 28-01-10, 01:25 PM   #519
Mike2165

I couldn't be bothered this morning, so I had an extra half hour in bed
Old 28-01-10, 02:21 PM   #520
kellyjo

Well ive just clocked up another 50 miles this morning, thats about 250 since saturday I can feel myself gaining in confidence with every trip out and reckon im about back to the best i was at last year (so still not very good!!).
The bike feels great, just feels like it could go on forever (now just wait for tomorrows post saying its gone horribly wrong ), my only concern is that the optimiser always shows full charge when i leave home but is never on full when i return, is that normal or is that a sign that somethings not working as it should and the battery isnt being recharged properly?