SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 22-09-09, 06:34 PM   #1
mazza7282

Default New end can & k & n without jetting it ?

Hey, Im new, so hey

Had my s.v 650s on a 99 since April 2008, actually passed my test in March 2009 and sat in various garages for about a year proior to that.

Things are going to start needed doing now as i'm out and about on it. It came to me with 3.5k on the clock and I've put around 3k on it this summer going to shows, dottering around with mates etc

Just got myself a new Beowulf end can for it, Always said the exhaust had to go when i first got it, and now i'm not disappointed

Due a service though, and i wanted to get myself a k & n as i've managed to pick one up cheaper than a new standard filter would have set me back.

Although I am concerned about the amount of air going into the carbs and making it run lean. I know your supposed to get jet kits for these things once you put an exhaust and performance filter on it.
But I do not want to spend the money on getting it Jetted because, well the bike is what it is and I hope this bike would give me a good few years before I get another one, a means to an end if you like.

Also instead of binning the standard air filter each time I change it, id rather save money and wash the k & n and oil it, saving me money in the long run from binned old ones.

Just wondered about other peoples opinions on this ? One freind of mine says its a terrible idea, that with my exhaust & filter. Without setting it up properly its going to want to overheat, run crap and someone else says well its only going to suck in a tad more air anyway and the engine would sort itself out eventually getting used to the amount of air entering the intake.

Bike runs perfectly with just the end can on it, was thinking of sticking it in anyway and if the radiator fan comes on more than usual. Then decide, ok bad idea (hopefully before anything happens)

Thanks
Old 23-09-09, 05:54 AM   #2
mazza7282

Default Re: New end can & k & n without jetting it ?

Hey,anyone lol ?
Old 23-09-09, 07:57 AM   #3
suzsv650

If you get a K&N + end can your gona need a re-map/ rejet. Other wise its gona run like a dog.
Old 23-09-09, 11:27 AM   #4
Binky
Emily Howard rides an SV
Mega Poster

I've got a Scorpion end can and new filter. Bike runs much better with these two combined and it's not been re jetted etc.
Old 23-09-09, 12:08 PM   #5
ophic
Mega Poster

K&N isn't supposed to flow any more than stock. Can't imagine it'd cause any problems.
Old 23-09-09, 12:37 PM   #6
Taipan

If you really want to get it right, get a dyno run by a reputable dyno centre. They'll tell you if its dangerously lean. They'll also advise you on what needs doing to rectify it, if it does need anything. Or of course you can pay them to set it up for you.

You can normally "get away with it" by just never sitting at a constant throttle for mile after mile.
Taipan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-09, 10:19 PM   #7
mazza7282

We'll the filter cost me £14.99 (cheaper than a stock one, I get it friday) I guess i'll put it in for now, if i'm concerned then ill rip it out, re sell it and put a stock one in.

Once again still mixed opinions lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binky View Post
I've got a Scorpion end can and new filter. Bike runs much better with these two combined and it's not been re jetted etc.
How long you had yours like that ? is yours carb or the newer injected one ?

Thanks
Old 23-09-09, 10:31 PM   #8
barwel1992

hmm it can cause problems but should be ok as long and the bikes looked after
Old 23-09-09, 11:03 PM   #9
Binky
Emily Howard rides an SV
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazza7282 View Post
How long you had yours like that ? is yours carb or the newer injected one ?

Thanks
Had the can about 12 months and the filter about 6 months.

In the last six months with both in i've done about 8,000, nearly 'commuteless', pleasurable miles and it's been spot on.
Old 24-09-09, 10:04 PM   #10
mazza7282

Just recieved filter, fitted it and OMG what a complete disaster

The bike was already up to temperature when I fitted it, chucked it in, it did sound lumpy but I thought not too much from it at the time. Went to pull off, and it cut out, then it wouldnt start.

Managed to bump it on a hill, after that riding down the road, extremely jerky, no smooth power. Felt like crap

So ripped it out, chucked old one back in (which looked in pristine condition actually anyway) just gave it quick hoover.

Batt went dead from me trying to fire her up, the bike still idled all over the place with the old one back in but then everything settled down back to normal. (apart from me bending the gear selector rod with my hand trying to get it into a higher gear to bump it)

So my advise in this case, would be 100% jet it, my mate said this would happen, hes gonna wet his pants with laughter lol