SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 10-01-17, 09:08 PM   #4051
Trev B

Default Re: Gripe of the day - What is yours?

Foresooth,I fear that the words that spring forth from thy lips doth trouble my ears,for I know not the meaning of them,tis a language from a land far across the seas ? ...I fully agree with what's said,even in my 62 years there are now words I'm not allowed to say and many new ones( mainly due to pic ), as much as I find it annoying I'm afraid life moves on,things change ( and not always) for the better innit !!!
Old 11-01-17, 06:50 AM   #4052
Littlepeahead
Mega Poster

I'm fine with the progression of language, we don't all speak like Chaucer, but I agree it needs to be spelled correctly. Your, you're, to, too, there and their etc. Learn the difference. My annoyance is the failure to use the shift key.
Old 11-01-17, 08:38 AM   #4053
shiftin_gear98

As long as these stay the same I'm happy.
****, ****, ********, ****. Last three removed as to not cause offence.

Wow who knew t0sser, bellend and w#nk all went through the spell check!

Last edited by shiftin_gear98; 11-01-17 at 08:41 AM.
shiftin_gear98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-17, 08:39 AM   #4054
timwilky
Mega Poster

New boss. Like the last based in another country. He doesn't know me. My strengths/weaknesses etc.

But he wants to change my role/responsibilities. Bet no more money, but more hours, stress.
Old 11-01-17, 08:51 AM   #4055
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Due to progress in many areas we need to add new stuff to our lexicon all the time, that's why English language is so subtle and nuanced. We have been absorbing words from other languages for centuries, English is the only truly international language and we are its custodians - it is our duty to nurture it and keep it healthy and relevant. I can remember once when I was with a group of people on a business trip with Americans and a couple of people from Singapore, the yanks were taking the p!ss due to my limey accent when one of the Singapore men piped up - "hey steady on guys, it's his language, you can't tell him how to speak it", needless to say the Asian spoke Queens English and put us all to shame. We should be proud of our language and not be guilty of letting it become meaningless badly spelled babble by sheer laziness.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-17, 08:52 AM   #4056
synXero

Getting on a 0730 tube. **** the tube so much! Still - hoping I'll get an SV out of it.
Old 11-01-17, 09:14 AM   #4057
Littlepeahead
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV650rules View Post
Due to progress in many areas we need to add new stuff to our lexicon all the time, that's why English language is so subtle and nuanced. We have been absorbing words from other languages for centuries, English is the only truly international language and we are its custodians - it is our duty to nurture it and keep it healthy and relevant. I can remember once when I was with a group of people on a business trip with Americans and a couple of people from Singapore, the yanks were taking the p!ss due to my limey accent when one of the Singapore men piped up - "hey steady on guys, it's his language, you can't tell him how to speak it", needless to say the Asian spoke Queens English and put us all to shame. We should be proud of our language and not be guilty of letting it become meaningless badly spelled babble by sheer laziness.
Working in cricket means a whole language just for that with all its technicalities. And it never ceases to amaze me how many phases you probably all use that originate from it. On a sticky wicket, bowling a maiden over, just not cricket, hit for six, and so on. Then read Hamlet and see how many times you still hear those phases in everyday use without even realizing Shakespeare wrote them. In my mind's eye. Shuffle off this mortal coil. Neither a borrower or a lender be. There's a method in my madness. Woe is me.

The English language is a wonderful thing. I co-edit a heritage magazine as part of my role and it is always a joy when a really well written article arrives for a first read.

Spelling, punctuation and the appropriate use of capitals are all as important as the words written otherwise the correct meaning of a sentence can be completely lost.
Old 11-01-17, 05:17 PM   #4058
Red ones
Mega Poster

Donald Trump's inability to complete even a single sentence.

I'd love to be able to tell him that he is completely incomprehensible as he drivels and rambles on with seemingly endless arrangements of random and often nonexistent words.

Why doesn't a journalist just ask him to summarise any of his answers or proclamations in no more than 12 words?
Red ones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-17, 06:04 PM   #4059
Littlepeahead
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red ones View Post
Donald Trump's inability to complete even a single sentence.

I'd love to be able to tell him that he is completely incomprehensible as he drivels and rambles on with seemingly endless arrangements of random and often nonexistent words.

Why doesn't a journalist just ask him to summarise any of his answers or proclamations in no more than 12 words?
He usually just goes with 140 characters in block capitals.
Old 11-01-17, 06:15 PM   #4060
SV650rules
Mega Poster

George Bush junior was far worse than Trump, sometimes it was touch and go if he was even able to string two words together, let alone an understandable sentence. Dan Quayle was also noted for his lack of skills with English.

Don't understand why people are being so nasty to Trump, he is the fairly elected president, democrats never stood a chance because apart from Hillary there is no one over 24 years old in either the party or its support base, the old, uneducated, racist, redneck people won, just like Brexit LOL.

He will likely be the best thing to happen to USA in the last 30 years.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Last edited by SV650rules; 11-01-17 at 06:25 PM.
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote