SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 16-11-05, 07:54 AM   #1
Peter Henry

Default BMW F800S

Have any of you folks caught a peep of one of these? Very smart looking bike and not at all what one would expect from BMW. I am crap at posting pics but this link gives the details:

http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/photo...-BMW-F800S.htm

opps found another link with the bike shown in red...now that I like!

http://www.webbikeworld.com/BMW-motorcycles/bmw-f800s/

First parallel twin from our German cousins engine with 4 valves per cylinder designed by Rotax (makers of the Aprilia Mille motors?). belt drive and 2 into 1 exhaust. Claimed 80bhp.

Looks real nice to my mind but would have to go for a colour other than the yellow shown.

Could be what a farty like me changes to when accepting that playing boy racer is now beyond me!
Old 16-11-05, 08:08 AM   #2
Anonymous

Theres a fully faired one I think which looks a bit nicer IMO. I dont really like its looks and Im sure I'd buy something japanese in that range. The new R1200S looks really weirdy.

Apart from my GS the only other bike that really floats my boat in the range is the K1200R which if you havent seen in the flesh but like in the pics will find absolutely stunning and seems to try an drag the wallet out of the pocket by some strange force...

Oh, heres the fully faired one (cross posted from bmwhp.org...me bad?)
Old 16-11-05, 09:10 AM   #3
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

I like it, my only thought is that being a Beemer it could be priced out of it's natural market position, if it's priced right I think it'll do well.
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

"a deathless anthem of nuclear-strength romantic angst"
Sid Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-05, 09:32 AM   #4
Stormspiel

One word

FUGLY

Get rid of the stupid slabs that are suppose to be fairings and it could look ok.
Old 16-11-05, 09:49 AM   #5
Italianjob

Looks like a cross between an R1100S a Kwak Z750 and a bigger bore Honda CB500.

Fugly and will probably end up in the £6000-7000 price range.
Old 16-11-05, 09:59 AM   #6
wyrdness

Could we put a warning on this thread. I almost lost my breakfast. What were BMWs design department thinking of?
Old 16-11-05, 12:26 PM   #7
Peter Henry

Wyrdness....

Please explain? Is it that the F800 is much prettier than you normally expect for a beemer or what?
Old 16-11-05, 12:30 PM   #8
wyrdness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Henry
Wyrdness....

Please explain? Is it that the F800 is much prettier than you normally expect for a beemer or what?
"pretty ugly" in my view. I thought that you had good taste in bikes, what with the Ducati, but this thing is just hideous. I'll stick to my Speed Triple, thanks.
Old 16-11-05, 12:34 PM   #9
Kate

That isn't to my taste, but each to their own I guess.
Old 16-11-05, 01:33 PM   #10
Peter Henry

Wyrdnes..I have to agree it doesn't look too great fully faired..but it does have a certain something in the half faired version?

Then again the Ducati Hypermotard...oh my god...sooooooo.....sexy!