SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 02-05-07, 08:10 PM   #11
OldBoy

Default Re: Filtering - police view

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky strike
They all tend to do that as they are far too old and shouldn't really be on the road, but in doors with a pipe and slippers

I tend not to filter once past 80 mph though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpion View Post
Oooooh er misus! I know a few org riders won't like that.

Tee hee
What's this! some young whipper snapper saying I'm too old.

I did smoke a pipe but have given up all forms of the weed, still got the slippers though.
Old 02-05-07, 08:14 PM   #12
Stingo

Had a police car move over to allow me to filter once. You just need to be sensible and real. Being dressed correctly and all that sort of helps too. I believe a precedent has been set on filtering in a particular court case (twas on this forum last year) - the judge said wtteo "Well, that why you have a motorbike, isn't it? So you can filter to the front". Something like that anyway.
Old 02-05-07, 10:12 PM   #13
injury_ian

I wasn't Interfering with other drivers, just making best use of the gaps in traffic, i know in a car it would be highly unacceptable.

felt a bit like playing chequers lol
Old 02-05-07, 10:46 PM   #14
lucky strike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stingo View Post
.....You just need to be sensible and real.....
By far the most valuable piece of advice you'll read on the t'internet! Each case is different and must be judged accordingly so. Never underestimate the stupidity of car drivers (not that us rufty tufty bikers are always switched on all the time )

p.s - OldBoy, I'm only joking of course chap............

....they should all be 'filed' away down the local ol' folks home
Old 02-05-07, 11:14 PM   #15
wyrdness

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky strike View Post
They all tend to do that as they are far too old and shouldn't really be on the road, but in doors with a pipe and slippers
These days, BMW riders are just as likely to have loud pipes and slipper clutches!
Old 02-05-07, 11:28 PM   #16
northwind
Mega Poster

No such thing as a black and white answer... Folk say "Filtering's not illegal", well, not in itself but it is if it crosses the line into dangerous driving. But where's that line? Just about every time someone passes me when I'm "making progress" on my commute is, IMO, riding dangerously. But then, just about everyone I pass probably thinks I'm riding dangerously
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-07, 07:59 AM   #17
Reckless Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by mister c View Post
This might help. It is a lot to read, but it sheds a lot of light on the subject.

http://www.motorcycle-training.f2s.com/filtering.html
Good guide!
I've filtered past dozens of police cars and filtered behind p. bikes, no problem...
The only time I've had near misses in traffic is when I've not been filtering, just following the car in front.
Cars have swapped lanes into bit of road I'm on!

RR
Old 03-05-07, 08:03 AM   #18
Baph

When I'm riding agressively, I filter hard. I know damned well that I've cross that line countless times that Northy was talking about.

Luckily, I've always been on the right side of it when police have been around. To me, that's the part that matters.
Old 03-05-07, 09:11 AM   #19
New Leaf

its one thing hiding from the police - buts it the grim reaper u really want to be scared of.
Old 03-05-07, 10:10 AM   #20
Ceri JC

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluePete View Post
That will get their attention very fast. Don't do it unless you are willing to accept a due care if you cause other road users to brake, swerve to avoid you etc. Apparently, if traffic is moving at less than about 20mph in all lanes, then filtering is accepted.
I believe the guidelines are something like, up to ten mph faster than other traffic, up to a maximum of 40mph (your speed). A colleague filters at about 10-15mph faster than other traffic on motorways, up to about 90mph (his speed, not that of other traffic). He does this all the time and has done this for over 100K (primarily motorway) miles, over the past 5 years. The only "trouble" he has gotten into was he once got a tug when doing it at close to the ton. He was civil and the traffic policeman sent him on his way. Mind you, he is an old beemer rider with a beard. I doubt a younger lad on a sportier bike would get the same treatment.

I've filtered (admittedly at lower speeds) in clear view of marked police cars, not to mention however many more unmarked ones and have never been pulled/flashed for it. I've followed police riders who were filtering and they've only ever given me only a friendly wave as I turned off. As others have said, if filtering was illegal (and the prosecution of it was actually enforced) there would be little point in having a bike for me. I have just come back from America (where, in many states, filtering is illegal) and I didn't see any "working bikes" and comparatively few commuters. Bikes were basically evening/weekend toys. I was surprised to read about a bike courier in an American magazine as I didn't see any, even in big cities. I can only assume there are comparatively very few of them and that they run the constant risk of prosecution.