SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 29-11-08, 12:05 PM   #1
Jase22

Default Insurance query

Basically I seem to be getting a bit shafted for my premium on my bike insurance which is due for renewal in the next couple of weeks.

My wife has had a couple of accidents in the car, she's a named driver on my [car only] policy, and I seem to be suffering on my bike insurance as a consequence. One incident was a non-fault where a third party hit our car in the rear, the other ended up being 50/50.

What I'm wondering is whether I am obliged to inform my bike insurers of incidents on my car insurance (which incidentally don't involve me) as these are clearly unrelated to my bike insurance?

Well, I don't get any credit on either policy for no claims discounts on the other policy, so it would seem to follow logic that I shouldn't also be double penalised for any accidents / claims. Then again, insurers don't appear to follow logic at times

Cheers
Jase

Last edited by Jase22; 29-11-08 at 12:24 PM.
Old 29-11-08, 12:12 PM   #2
Dangerous Dave

Default Re: Insurance query

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jase22 View Post
What I'm wondering is whether I am obliged to inform my bike insurers of incidents on my car insurance (which incidentally don't involve me) as these are clearly unrelated to my bike insurance?
When an insurance company asks you about previous accidents this includes all vehicles which you were operating, whether personally or during business use. However if your car was being driven by your wife then that is not your accident and thus they do not need to know unless you plan to put the wife on your bike insurance too.
Old 29-11-08, 12:16 PM   #3
Jase22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous Dave View Post
When an insurance company asks you about previous accidents this includes all vehicles which you were operating, whether personally or during business use. However if your car was being driven by your wife then that is not your accident and thus they do not need to know unless you plan to put the wife on your bike insurance too.
That's interesting, I do not intend to have my wife on my bike policy. The only thing is, I don't want to void my policy through non disclosure.
Old 29-11-08, 12:18 PM   #4
Dangerous Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jase22 View Post
The only thing is, I don't want to void my policy through non disclosure.
You shouldn't void it, it is your wife that has had the accident in the car making her the riskier to insure and not you. If she is a named person the policy covers her.
Old 29-11-08, 12:22 PM   #5
Jase22

Tres bon. I shall make a few phone calls and see what price I can get.
Old 01-12-08, 04:07 PM   #6
AndyW

Hastings bike insurance specifically do NOT ask about any accidents on the car insurance. If you have a few car ones, then they will prolly be cheapest.
Old 01-12-08, 04:47 PM   #7
ricky

i havent told my bike insurance about my wifes accidents because one shes not involved in the bike at all, its not MY accident.

all they ask for on the quotes is accidents that you have been in ie you driveing the car riding the bike.
Old 01-12-08, 05:32 PM   #8
muffles

If you have a joint policy on the car, does it count as 'your' claim? That's the only way I could see it being linked to you - as ridiculous as that link sounds. So if they ask for *your* incidents (no), accidents (no), or claims (hmm...?) what do you put for claims...
Old 01-12-08, 05:49 PM   #9
Jase22

Quote:
Originally Posted by muffles View Post
If you have a joint policy on the car, does it count as 'your' claim? That's the only way I could see it being linked to you - as ridiculous as that link sounds. So if they ask for *your* incidents (no), accidents (no), or claims (hmm...?) what do you put for claims...
I think this is the loophole the insurance company were quoting to try and shaft me out of my hard earned moneys. I'll give Hastings a call I reckon and see what they can offer me price-wise.
Old 01-12-08, 06:54 PM   #10
mattb200

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyW View Post
Hastings bike insurance specifically do NOT ask about any accidents on the car insurance. If you have a few car ones, then they will prolly be cheapest.
yeah I had this too with Hastings. At renewal time I asked them if they needed details of my car accident and they were'nt in the slight bit interested.

The thing that bothers me is that I don't see why we need to tell them anything as I am sure they have access to this information anyway on a system that all insurers can access for fraud purposes??