SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 01-09-12, 09:07 AM   #2491
stewie

Default Re: The Cycling Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzwheel View Post
Done it, In 4 days I have covered 104 miles.
Good one, anyone watching the track cycling atm ? how bloody inspiring are those cyclists ?

Last edited by stewie; 01-09-12 at 09:16 AM.
Old 01-09-12, 09:59 AM   #2492
maviczap
Mega Poster

Yes, I think they'ed put a lot of us to shame

Did anyone watch the Trios E'tape on Eurosport, there's a guy cycling up the likes of the Galibier with a carbon lower leg.

Also reminds me of the tale of the guy who hand cranked up the Tourmalet, on a trike with his wheel chair on the back
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-12, 11:51 AM   #2493
Luckypants
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by EssexDave View Post
Oh and lucky - I did want to do that ride as it looked like a killer but things just didn't work out
Here is a taste of what you missed, found a good video of the day on youtube.

YouTube Video
Error: If you cannot see this video, then either YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed to play it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xymzxLb6QVY
Snow Plough Appreciation Society - Member #3

Luckypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-12, 02:14 PM   #2494
EssexDave

Lucky - I'll have a look a bit later as a few things to sort out today.

Just getting ready to pop out and thought I'd update you all as to how my cycle went today!

I realised after hoping for a time of 1hour 15-30 for the 28 miles that it may have been a tad optimistic due to a 600m off road part, a couple of dodgy cycle lanes, open roads and the amount of slow people out and about cycling!

However, I managed to finish, after pushing myself to the brink of annihilation, in 1 hour 22 minutes. I lapped everyone I was doing it with (mostly non/recreational cyclists) bar one guy who cycles fairly regularly but still finished first (out of everyone) despite starting 30 minutes after the first start time.

Real happy bunny here - I think it may be time to attempt a proper TT or two!
Old 02-09-12, 02:54 PM   #2495
Jackie_Black

Top result that like.

Makes my 18 miles in just over an hour look very insignificant now. Must try harder!!
Old 03-09-12, 05:48 PM   #2496
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

F*CKS SAKE

Nearly re-ended tonight. I'm coming along my usual route, its a B road, I alter my trip home so I dont use this bit of road in rush hour, I avoid it and come along it at about 1815 ish

Blue Peugeot 206 behind me. Shes sat a bit close to me. I move out a bit wider to defend my space. Theres a maroon people carrier coming the opposite direction.

I hear the engine rev, shes about to overtake me then she bottles it and decides probably correctly that she wont make it past. Except this point shes along side me almost.

She hits the brakes I hear the wheels lock and I decide not to brake, so I start to sprint for all I'm worth, I look behind me to see the bottom of the front bumper almost scarping the tarmac and the front wheels locked with clouds of smoke coming from the front tyres. I'm thinking I'm going to get hit any minute and close my eyes and wait for it, I'm still sprinting and the screeching stops. Shes stopped in the road and I am wondering on how earth she didnt drive / slide into the back of me.

I livid, I'm looking round and gesticulating at her. She eventually comes past me leaving me plenty of room, shes in tears and mouthing the words "I'm so sorry" and suddenly the anger puddles out of me and I'm thanking my lucky stars I'm not under the wheels of her car.

Scarey stuff. I can still see the front of the car bearing down on me now..

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition

Last edited by fizzwheel; 03-09-12 at 06:50 PM.
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-12, 06:34 PM   #2497
maviczap
Mega Poster

Lucky escape Fizz, we had a similar experience a few weeks ago, an old boy decided to overtake a group of us on a blind bend. The revs increased as he went to overtake us, then more so, as a car was coming the other way. They clipped wing mirrors and he nearly took out the lead cyclist.

So many impatient drives who just need to hang back a bit.

After your accident earlier this year, this can't have been good for you.
Old 03-09-12, 06:53 PM   #2498
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

I dont feel to bad and I finished off the ride I wanted to do. I can still see the front bumper looming towards me when I shut my eyes, I expect I will for a few days.

I wish she had stopped and I could have talked it through with her, but I'm not surprised that she did not. I think she's given herself a damn good fright and I hope it'll make her think about her over takes a bit more in future.

I'll ride over that road tomorrow night I wonder how long the skidmarks are...

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-12, 07:03 PM   #2499
maviczap
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckypants View Post
Here is a taste of what you missed, found a good video of the day on youtube.

YouTube Video
Error: If you cannot see this video, then either YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed to play it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xymzxLb6QVY
Looks like the Vuelta organisers took a leaf out of your sportive organisers book

Mega hard stage today, 17% bits with 24% bits as well, mental
Old 03-09-12, 09:43 PM   #2500
EssexDave

Fizz that sounds absolutely horrifying. I've only ever had 2 'bad ones' and they don't even come close and are bad enough.

They should bring in (and I've been thinking about petitioning for it) compulsory section in the theory and practical tests about overtaking, focusing on vulnerable road users.

They theory test is pants and pretty much focusing on horses and what you should do (e.g. be prepared to stop, slow down etc).

Too many people don't realise how to overtake and when to and not do it. I reckon if a petition was started you could easily get 100,000 signatures at which point the house of commons has to debate it. I can't see it being a bad thing. Anybody else willing to support such a petition and stick the word out?

On another note, the 24% bits is the only time they do as slow as I do uphill! They were doing something like 9-11kmph up that section - I wonder what gearing I'd need to make it up!