SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 11-09-12, 03:33 PM   #11
stewie

Default Re: 9/11 respect

We've been fortunate to go to NYC a few times now and took these in 2007, they were taken near a disused parking lot in Greenwich village, when the towers started to fall people ran south down the avenues and ran out of energy and adrenaline near the parking lot, there was a small artist's shop which speciallised in painting on ceramics and people began to leave messages of hope on the chain link fence.

Old 11-09-12, 03:44 PM   #12
daveyrach

Last edited by daveyrach; 11-09-12 at 03:45 PM.
daveyrach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-12, 03:51 PM   #13
stewie

I watched the whole thing live from just before the 2nd aircraft went in, it was the most profoundly shocking spectacle I have ever and probably will ever witness, just normal people going about there buisness.
Old 11-09-12, 05:19 PM   #14
Bibio
Mega Poster

while a tragic event and my heart truly goes out to the families that have lost loved ones in the event i cant help but wonder why...

why does a group of intelligent individuals take it on themselves to organise and execute something so devastating?

one man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter. it's a very very clever word that 'terrorist'.

ooohhhh and it's 11/9 in this country.

@ Messie. it was the WORLD trade centre where people from all over the word meet to do business so affected the whole globe.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-12, 05:21 PM   #15
Small Clanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Messie View Post

I don't think it is our place to have special remembrance for those in an American tragedy - just a general remembrance for all those who lose their lives or health in innocence
I've long since given up trying to win virtual arguments with real idiots but I would like to point out that people from all over the world died in the 9/11 atrocity, regardless of the subsequent actions from many countries.

RIP to them.

Last edited by Small Clanger; 11-09-12 at 05:46 PM.
Old 11-09-12, 05:23 PM   #16
Messie
The Teacer
Mega Poster

I know that (I am not an idiot) and fully respect that.

That's why I said ALL who lose their lives.

The devastation at the WTC was a tragedy. There have been many other tragedies in many other parts of the world. It is that aspect - that all the other tradegies are not given the same sort of reverence - that I am highlighting

Last edited by Messie; 11-09-12 at 05:25 PM.
Messie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-12, 05:44 PM   #17
stewie

I think its because 3000 died right in front of our eyes live on TV that still reverberates around the world, a friend of mines dad should have been on of those aircraft but he missed his connecting flight, at the end of the day if you want to remember these people whats so wrong with that ? I mean you can always switch the telly off or not contribute to a thread.
Old 11-09-12, 05:55 PM   #18
Milky Bar Kid

We commemorate 11/11/1911 ever year Messie? We commemorate things such as Hillsborough disaster, Lockerbie, 7/7, etc.

Whilst 9/11 may be more widely commemorated, I agree, we do still commemorate other tragic events. Everything that has happened as a result of 9/11 is a tragedy. Be it the thousands killed in the WTC, thousands killed as a result of war, or the emergency workers/volunteers who continue to die as a direct result of the toxic dust from the collapse of the towers. I for one think of all of these people.

2996 people died on 11/9/01, of all nationalities, faiths and races. As bibio said, it was the WORLD trade centre. Not the American Trade centre.

Compared with Britain's biggest mass murder - Lockerbie, 270 deaths, I can understand why it is commemorated an personally, I will continue to do so.

I respect other peoples right not to, but don't think that this should be called "guff".
Old 11-09-12, 09:07 PM   #19
Biker Biggles
Mega Poster

I dont really feel strongly either way on this arguement but one thing I do know------the powerful always see to it that the victims relevant to them are remembered and no one can ever forget them.There are plenty of others who get largely forgotten.
Old 14-09-12, 08:12 AM   #20
Elliott

I'm deeply saddened by the terrible event that unfolded and feel very passionately for the family's and friends that have lost family members.

However, things need to be put to rest. To remind people ever year is not right. Every decade makes more sense.

Just my 2 cents.