SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 28-10-17, 02:31 PM   #1
Seeker
Mega Poster

Default Top selling bikes

The top selling bikes in the UK are:

10 Bmw s1000xr
9 Mt10
8 Mt09
7 Tracer 900
6 765 RS
5 Africa twin
4 Bonneville bobber
3 Kawasaki Z1000SX
2 Bmw R1200GS Adventure
1 Bmw R1200GS

I've hardly seen any of these bikes in NE Lincs, the Kawasaki is probably the exception. I've seen more MVs, KTM's and Aprilias which I always thought odd as the nearest dealers are some distance away.

What's it like in your area?
Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-17, 03:25 PM   #2
Bibio
Mega Poster

Default Re: Top selling bikes

only thing i have seen is bloke across the back got a new bobber.

looking at the new 765 they do a low version from factory pity it will be welll out my pocket fluff.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-17, 04:10 PM   #3
Chris_SVS

1200GS series is big here as is the Tiger, lots of ZX10s and S1000RR's***

***I don't quite understand the need for a superbike on the road, at what point on the road is anyone using anything like the potential of the bike and legally??? Looks good in a carpark eh?
Chris_SVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-17, 05:19 PM   #4
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Organ donors ride superbikes on the road. Way too much traffic and too many drivers messing with phones these days to carreer around at those kinds of speeds, you can get into a world of trouble very quickly. The SV is pretty ideal in its power delivery and flickable handling, with decent mpg and as a bonus it sounds great.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-17, 05:23 PM   #5
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_SVS View Post
1200GS series is big here
1200GS is big everywhere, it is just big....... designed by same bloke who designed their WW2 tanks.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-17, 05:52 PM   #6
Chris_SVS

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV650rules View Post
1200GS is big everywhere, it is just big....... designed by same bloke who designed their WW2 tanks.
haha true

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV650rules View Post
Organ donors ride superbikes on the road. Way too much traffic and too many drivers messing with phones these days to carreer around at those kinds of speeds, you can get into a world of trouble very quickly. The SV is pretty ideal in its power delivery and flickable handling, with decent mpg and as a bonus it sounds great.
Can get into plenty of trouble on a wee 650 if so desired, makes me chuckle when people who don't understand bikes ask what CC it is, the response is often "wow that big"

With the exception of my colleague who rides a 50cc moped on L plates and a Varadero 125, my SV is the smallest CC bike in the shed at work, but the most ridden

Last edited by Chris_SVS; 28-10-17 at 06:01 PM.
Old 28-10-17, 06:01 PM   #7
Bibio
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_SVS View Post
1200GS series is big here as is the Tiger, lots of ZX10s and S1000RR's***

***I don't quite understand the need for a superbike on the road, at what point on the road is anyone using anything like the potential of the bike and legally??? Looks good in a carpark eh?
its not about how fast it goes. there are a lot of other factors to consider. take the gsxr 750 for example, same weight as the sv but comfier, double the ponies for overtaking, better brakes and suspension. only problem is that people cant keep a calm head and its those that usually end up spare parts but that can be said about anybody riding any size of cc bike. put a fast bike in inexperienced hands and its a lethal combination.

i had considered getting a gsxr 750 then putting a comfort kit on it at one point.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-17, 06:04 PM   #8
Chris_SVS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
its not about how fast it goes. there are a lot of other factors to consider. take the gsxr 750 for example, same weight as the sv but comfier, double the ponies for overtaking, better brakes and suspension. only problem is that people cant keep a calm head and its those that usually end up spare parts but that can be said about anybody riding any size of cc bike. put a fast bike in inexperienced hands and its a lethal combination.

i had considered getting a gsxr 750 then putting a comfort kit on it at one point.
Of course and fair point, It was mostly the superbikes with no wear on the outer 2/3s of the tyre parked up at tea wagons I was getting at ****

**** A gentleman who passed his test a few weeks before I did (Oct 24th 2005) spent his career on all manner of ZX6's and ZX10's all modded tastefully(usually with a power commander) He was a quick but not necessarily a safe rider, well known for his exploits on a particular local road, in fact very few riders could keep up. Until one day at a tea wagon, testicle size came into the mix and off he goes, he was buried 3 days later. One of those guys who'd never put a bike near a track because it would show up how terrible he actually was, no brains when a wide open throttle is all you need.

The bike was quicker than he was and much more capable, but the road he was killed on (I know it but can't remember the name) certainly isn't one you'd get comfortably over 60 on, like most in the general area, and an awful lot of NI

Last edited by Chris_SVS; 28-10-17 at 06:21 PM.
Old 28-10-17, 06:21 PM   #9
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

I only ever see SV650s and BMW tourers around us. Might be a case of noticing the bike / car you own more though. BMW tourers with full panniers / tank bags do seem to be popular too though.
Adam Ef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-17, 08:55 AM   #10
Talking Heads

I reckon that's just the bikes over 750cc category.
Talking Heads is offline   Reply With Quote