SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Guildford Massive For the Guildford Guys N Girls.

View Poll Results: What do you think?
Get a GM megathread going for banter 1 33.33%
Practice self-moderation 2 66.67%
Shut up we like it just how it is 0 0%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

Old 24-05-07, 10:36 PM   #1
Mark_h
Mega Poster

Default GM megathread

Folks,

Do we need a GM megathread?

Many of the threads go off topic and end up either picking on Dan, accusing Law of not riding his bike, or Falc and Tara deciding who needs to collect milk on the way home.

If you look through, most collapse into a multi-page banter fest going completely off track and making it too hard for anyone to actually get the original value out of the thread.

My "what bike" thread is an example. Started off well, then Law and Dan start debating whether or not Dan called Law a dizzy blond (clearly not) and then it died. I'm sure some people who may have been interested in the carefully crafted ride report would have seen the "oh yes you did, oh no I didn't bit" and then not bothered to read the bit I took the time to write and so not added their contribution to the original thread theme.

Perhaps I'm out of order and this is how everyone else likes it, if so, I'll get back in my box. If not, perhaps we could each exercise some self-moderation or the many forum mods could prune some of the more valuable threads once they disolve (bit like Falk pruned the route thread).

So what do you think?

Get a GM megathread going for such banter?
Exercise self moderation?
Actually we all like it just like it is so shut up?

Sorry if I'm out of order or if anyone thinks they're being picked on (not intentional) but a trawl through any recent threads will show there are many offenders (if it is an offence) myself included.
Aliquid prudentissimus delectabiles et intelligentes in adamasset lingua.
Mark_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-07, 12:40 AM   #2
dirtydog
Knob faced knobster
Mega Poster

Default Re: GM megathread

We could try a GM megathread but i think that the other threads will still decend into chaos like they do now (and seem to in all the other sections) but it's ceratinly something we could try.

We could selectively prune threads that are informative etc like your what bike thread for instance, but that will only work if people don't start complaining about edited/delted posts that sort of thing

I spose if people want to read a particular thread then they will read it all and ignore the did he, didn't he bits

well that's what i think anyway
Old 25-05-07, 05:17 AM   #3
falc

I dont think we need a GM Megathread, there is already one megathread so we should make use of that instead of having another thread similiar to it.

Yes alot of the threads do descend into chaos I would hope people reading this could then self moderate themselves as you say and keep the banter to the silly threads but this is an offshoot of the increased activity in the Guildford section. Alot more people use it and there is alot of friendly banter and the last thing I would want to do is curb that and say banter can only be done in one thread cause that would just ruin it.

I would say if the thread is serious or asking a sensible question then we should respect it as that and keep the banter down in that particular thread. If there is one or two replies off topic we could prune them but as DD said people may complain.
Old 25-05-07, 09:05 AM   #4
DanAbnormal

While I do see some benefits to your idea Mark I think it would end up being very quiet in the GM section. It's taken a year for it to become fairly busy and moving forward I hope that it continues. I certainly will try to moderate myself a little more.
Old 25-05-07, 10:07 AM   #5
Stu
Trinity
Mega Poster

I like Mark's idea.
But it doesn't look like it will happen.
I don't really want people to self moderate as Dan just said, it's quite often funny if you've got the time to read it, but can make info hard to find if you've not got the time, like meets being changed at the last moment
I do accept that it has taken time and effort to get the GM to where it is so it's hard to know what's the best solution
Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-07, 10:30 AM   #6
Law

I'm not sure a GM megathread would work, IB has a megathread but the other threads there still derail.

I admit people derailing the rideout thread and meets thread before they actually happen make it hard to know what's going on, who's coming, etc.

Self moderation and proper mod moderation would prob would help a bit.

Anyway, Mark did you try out the bandit 12 to compare with the CB? What...? Sorry, wrong thread!!!