SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Photos Place your images here. There's also a "U" rating so please respect this.

Old 02-11-11, 04:04 AM   #1
kyuss74

Default Street tracker

Was looking for the 'introduce yourself thread', but i'm either too blind or too drunk I couldn't see it. So as this place seems friendly enough that I won't get flamed for starting a thread as my first post I thought I'd start here with my concept for an SV street tracker.

As a tall (and fat) guy I've always been drawn to taller bikes and although the SV isn't ideal as a base I've always had a soft spot for them and think it could be made to work as a street tracker/supermoto kind of thing more suited to us big guys.

Don't have the budget (or mechanical know-how) to make this happen at the moment, but I can dream.... and I'm hoping it could be built at some point in the future. As a designer I know how I want my bike to look and will be looking to the technical know-how on here for tips on what will/won't work in a technical aspect.

Thought I'd draw on the expertise here and see if you think this could be possible.

I know there will be lots of machining/fabricating needed but my thoughts so far are:
Standard tank, frame and motor.
RM-Z forks, brakes and hub built onto 19 inch rim. (would it be easier to shorten a motocross fork or lengthen a gixxer fork?)
RM-Z rear end, built onto 18 inch rear rim (could use standard swing arm with longer shock if this is possible).
Ducati monster seat unit with custom sub frame.

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Last edited by kyuss74; 15-11-11 at 02:45 AM.
Old 02-11-11, 09:51 AM   #2
maviczap
Mega Poster

Default Re: Street tracker

I like the look of it, but I can't help you with your questions
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-11, 10:56 AM   #3
Berlin

That looks lovely!

I do belive by law the rear tyre cannot be the furthest part back and you'd have to fit something (that may completely ruin the lines) to make sure it wasn't. Have a look at a rear splash guard on a BMW 1200 GS for ideas.

Forks you can either go road based (GSXR etc) but that would make front wheel choice difficult. maybe half and half like the Versys front forks or just graft in full M Cross forks and use a motorcross front wheel. Lots less trouble.

That looks like a GSXR 600 K1-k3 rear swing arm you've used and that might just fit. I know if you reshim the pivot point it'll fit into the frame but can't advise on whether it would foul the rear exhaust and whether the suspension mounts would line up or need moving.

Good Luck! It'll look great when its finished!

C
Old 02-11-11, 11:07 AM   #4
Owenski

You're not the first one to come up with the concept:

Thats not mine and details can be found on it here:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=283894

As the orgs resident hooligan my thoughts would be:

Forks, you'll need the longer travel of the RMZ (they're good showa parts too) in order to ride it like a supermoto. If you shorten the forks or use GSXR ones you'll be making a streetfighter, not a supermoto.

You'll need to scrap the standard SV tank and seat, the geometry of steering a supermoto works by getting your weight forward. You cant do this with a tank wider than most folks waist.

Exhaust would need to route outside the swing arm in order to allow for enough extension of the rear shock.

Wheels wont be a problem any dirt bike will source you decent size rims, however the tyres which fit these rims will limit your riding style.

In summary in my opinion, its possible - but difficult. There will be a lot of swearing and a lot of money spent on bits which never make it to the bike.

If you do it though, make about 1000 of them because I recon they'd sell like Cheryl Coles dirty thongs.

If you scroll down that page I've linked to there is a fantastic example of a black one at the bottom but for all intent and purpose thats simply a front end conversion, the rest of the bike remains the same.

Last edited by Owenski; 02-11-11 at 11:33 AM.
Old 02-11-11, 03:39 PM   #5
kyuss74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berlin View Post
That looks lovely!

C
Thanks. Putting it together in photoshop is much easier (and cheaper) than making it happen in real life.

With regards to the rear end. There are certainly custom bikes on the road at the moment though that have the wheel as the rear most part. I'll need to read up on the law.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owenski View Post

As the orgs resident hooligan my thoughts would be:

Forks, you'll need the longer travel of the RMZ (they're good showa parts too) in order to ride it like a supermoto. If you shorten the forks or use GSXR ones you'll be making a streetfighter, not a supermoto.

You'll need to scrap the standard SV tank and seat, the geometry of steering a supermoto works by getting your weight forward. You cant do this with a tank wider than most folks waist.

Wheels wont be a problem any dirt bike will source you decent size rims, however the tyres which fit these rims will limit your riding style.

In summary in my opinion, its possible - but difficult. There will be a lot of swearing and a lot of money spent on bits which never make it to the bike.

If you do it though, make about 1000 of them because I recon they'd sell like Cheryl Coles dirty thongs.
I'm not looking for a full on motocross/supermoto ride height (or handling) hence the question about shortening/lengthening forks. I guess you could describe it as more street fighter than supermoto (I always think of Spondon framed GSXR's when I think of street fighters though). Aiming for something with a stance more like the flat trackers from the USA. Something between a supermoto and a sports bike.

Thanks for the feedback. I'm sure I'll be back picking the brains of members once I've collected some parts and made a start on it. It's very much a long term project though so don't hold your breath for any build threads in the near future..

Last edited by kyuss74; 15-11-11 at 02:08 AM.
Old 02-11-11, 03:55 PM   #6
Reeder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owenski View Post
they'd sell like Cheryl Coles dirty thongs.
Nothing can compare to how well they'd sell.
Old 05-11-11, 01:09 AM   #7
BanannaMan

Your concept bike looks very nice!
But being an old git who can still remember way back when, I'd deffo pass on the spoked rims for a street bike.
Aluminium wheels never need adjusting and tubeless tyres don't leak down in 5 seconds or less should they get a puncture.

You know you're getting old when practical becomes a consideration.

"The Mountains are calling and I must go"

Last edited by BanannaMan; 05-11-11 at 01:11 AM.
BanannaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-11, 01:14 AM   #8
saintnick

great minds think alike

So much nicer than yet another a cafe racer, more comfortable and better suited to the Lagos road surface standard Hammersmith Council consistently attempts to emulate

A few years back PB mag converted an R1 to a taller set up, kind of using the practicality of a TDM but with R1 power. By all accounts it worked brilliantly, do a search for BABIYOS - Build a Bike In Your Own Shed - the guy that built it is a bit of a genius.

You may find that a SM look with sportsbike suspension wont work as well as simply using long travel SM forks which have a lot more damping than standard. Remember, you can do a track day with straight KTM/WP SM forks and have a lot of fun. Certainly from a build stance using SM forks would be the easiset solution - true dirt suspenders will always be a bit too soft, while sports suspension may feel a bit disconnected on a high rise. If this goes further, keep us posted...
Old 06-11-11, 01:24 AM   #9
saintnick

EDIT: links for this project

www.redmaxspeedshop.com - email them for advice
www.shorttrackuk.com - there were a couple of 650 trackers for sale on there recently
www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHli_K1lLxs = the BABIYOS project original vid
www.bikerglory.com - stuff on BLITZ (French builders) and bike style in general.
Old 15-11-11, 01:36 AM   #10
kyuss74

Thanks for the links saintnick. Red Max has been in my bookmarks for a while but the short track and biker glory sites look interesting. Thanks.

I know what you mean about the cafe racer thing too. It's done to death at the moment and although I do love the cafe style it has to be done right (i.e. triumph, norton etc.) or built using something completely different/original. I'm cuurrently having dreams about a KTM Super Duke based cafe racer.

I'm meant to be helping with my dads old CB750. He's the mechanic, I have the aesthetic sensibility, and I just can't seem to persuade him that the last thing the world needs is yet another 'build by numbers' CB cafe racer. Nothing against them but I can't help thinking we have the opportunity to do something a little bit less obvious. As such the build is on hold until he comes round to the chunky tired, hard tail, metal flake baby blue, 'brat style' bobber idea.

Last edited by kyuss74; 15-11-11 at 02:46 AM.