SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 01-04-05, 09:20 AM   #1
andyrs

Default High mileage

Hey
At the moment im currently on the look out for an sv, but seem to find that there are plenty of sv's out there, but most around the 2-2.5k bracket have very high mileage, often over 30000miles.
Generally how do sv's cope with this kind of mileage? Do they suffer noticeable power loss as the engine wears?

Any help would be appreciated
Thanks

Andy
Old 01-04-05, 09:24 AM   #2
Viney
Mega Poster

my sv that has 37000 and is for sale, in all honstey seems ok. Its been serviced regulalry and thats all you can ask of it.

There has been cases of engines letting go at 10,000 miles. Its like all things, you get good ones, you get bad ones, and milegae sometimes has very little to do with it.

At the end of the day, if you brought a 4 year old car with 30000 miles on it, it would be a bargin!
Viney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-05, 11:35 AM   #3
SVeeedy Gonzales

Lots of people seem concerned about high mileage on a bike as regards the engine, yet I've never met anyone who wore their engine out. There are engines that are knackered through heavy use/being a duff one/lack of care, but it's usually just individual parts wearing out and needing replacement.

High mileages are mostly off-putting due to the likelihood of parts needing replacing - fork springs and oil, rear shock, some parts of the engine, bearings... it will all wear out eventually.

It may be worth looking out for high mileage bikes where there's been recent work done - new shock, fork springs, etc. as this will give another 10-20,000 miles before you'll need to replace it. Most modern 4-stroke car and bike engines (as in, the core parts - pistons, etc.) should be good for 100,000 miles+ if looked after and given regular oil changes. But cam chains and other stuff in there may easily wear out before then.
Old 01-04-05, 11:49 AM   #4
jon

And as i'm sure jonboy will point out, you can get a low milage engine / gearbox / clutch off ebay for anything as low as £400 so if the engine does let go after x miles it's not the end of the world.
Old 01-04-05, 04:36 PM   #5
RandyO

I have 106,000 miles on my original motor and still going strong, haven't done any more or any less than suzuki recommended maintenance.

parts that I have had to renew and approx milage

@ 49,000
replaced Reguator/Rectifier & battery
replaced rear caliper
replaced shifter linkages
@ 65,000
rebuilt forks
@ 90,000
replaced front calipers & rotors
@98,000
clutch & throttle cables
clutch perch & lever
@102,000
clutch fibres & springs
@ 105,000
radiator hoses
shifter linkages
Old 01-04-05, 04:46 PM   #6
jon

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyO
I have 106,000 miles on my original motor and still going strong, haven't done any more or any less than suzuki recommended maintenance.
Wow, that must be one of the highest miler SV's going?!