SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 03-01-06, 03:34 PM   #1
Mervin

Default Knackered ignition methinks

It takes a good 5 mins or so for me to be able to turn my key in the ignition. The key goes in ok but I have to wiggle it for ages to get it to turn.

I've tried my spare key and it's the same story. Time for a new ignition barrel I reckon.

I'm thinking breakers yard or being lucky on Ebay.

Anyone know where else I an get a decent lockset? Is it easy to replace or am I going to be stiffed by my local dealer?

It's a SV650S K2 btw.

ta.
Old 03-01-06, 06:02 PM   #2
haggis

It's not too hard to replace. You need to get an SV specific one as there is an anti-tamper device by way of a resistor in the barrel and some other Suzuki's omit this, or use a different resistor.

To remove the barrel you'll need a security torx bit, (a #6 if my memory serves me well), which is all that holds it to the underside of your topyoke.

Alternatively, I had a normal torx bit so had to drill out the centre stub which wasn't as problematic as I imagined. Just remove the whole yoke and put it in a vice. This also means you'll need a big spanner for the top-nut too of course!

HTH.
Old 04-01-06, 07:50 AM   #3
PeterM

STOP!!!!!!

There's no need to replace the barrel. Like anything with moving parts it needs lubrication. Get hold of some graphite powder, available from most hardware stores or locksmiths and put a bit in there. Work your key in & out a few times & you're laughing. If it still doesn't want to turn, give the end of the spare key a tap with a small hammer when in the ignition (straight down) and then turn normally.
Old 04-01-06, 03:36 PM   #4
Mervin

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterM
STOP!!!!!!

There's no need to replace the barrel. Like anything with moving parts it needs lubrication. Get hold of some graphite powder, available from most hardware stores or locksmiths and put a bit in there. Work your key in & out a few times & you're laughing. If it still doesn't want to turn, give the end of the spare key a tap with a small hammer when in the ignition (straight down) and then turn normally.
Blimey it worked!!

Just chucked some old fashioned grease in there and gave it a wiggle for about 5 mins and it goes in almost every time.

Well done that man.
Old 05-01-06, 12:23 AM   #5
Vfr400

Arrrgh grease! probably the worst thing to stick in a lock as it attracts every bit of crap going.
As Peterm said the only lubricant to stick in a lock is graphite powder or believe it or not some air-gun lubricant as this is usually graphite powder in a dissolvable carrier.
Old 05-01-06, 12:47 AM   #6
PeterM

OK,

Now it's been established that while the grease worked, it's got some downfalls.

Get hold of some degreaser and spay it in the mechanism & flush it through. Then chuck in the graphite powder & you're set.
Old 05-01-06, 10:47 AM   #7
creamerybutter

So every time mine gets stiff I shouldn't just fill the thing with WD40?
Old 05-01-06, 05:19 PM   #8
Mervin

Quote:
Originally Posted by creamerybutter
So every time mine gets stiff I shouldn't just fill the thing with WD40?
I tried WD and it didnt work.

I'll track some Graphite Powder down at the weekend.
Old 05-01-06, 05:54 PM   #9
independentphoto

Oxford sell stuff with their name on it as a lock lubricant. Got a small aerosol of it with my Monster disk lock. If you can find something like that, it'll last for ages and save you trying to go out of your way to find a locksmiths or whatever.

Alternatively, if you have access to an electrical / electronics supply firm (or Maplins for that matter), why not try some "DFL" spray (Dry Film Lubricant) - it's good stuff and dries out in order to avoid trapping dust and metal filings (from the key / lock). Oh and you can use that on those house door hinges too without worrying about your cream carpet

Cheers,

Garry