SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 02-07-07, 10:55 PM   #1
veraliar

Default Another day, another lesson (long story)

Been riding my SV for a while now. Crashed it a while back shortly after buying it due to an SUV runnin the stop sign; I was ok, SV wasn't. Finally got it fixed a couple months ago and been riding almost daily with no problems. Each ride I take it a little closer to the edge and last week I think I was down right reckless for my skill level. Well, today (though I was riding mildly) I got a few fresh kicks in the ****. Ironically, it is my previous recklessness which consisted of learning new lessons each ride (like downshifting, using front break properly), that resulted in my not crashing today vs. me crashing back in winter.

Back in winter, the SUV ran the stop sign and I grabbed a fistful of front breaks. I saw her before she pulled off the line but she was stopped so I figured I was all right. It happened too quickly for me to push left and flex my breaks well enough not to slam down. Similar thing happened twice today. I didn't learn my lesson till the second time, but for a different reason, hence this thread.

The day started off with me being in a kind of a "you shouldn't ride today" mood. I rarely get these and I remember reading on here how if you do, you better stay off the bike. The bad news: I didn't listen. The good news: getting to the end felt that much more rewarding. So I roll her out, in a t shirt and leather pants because I'm gonna stop by the dry cleaners to pick up my leather jacket - but of course they messed up the tailoring on it and it was delayed. So in a crisp 50 F weather I ride on.

At one point I find myself alongside a state trooper. Still feeling kinda crappy, I barely get off the line and ride at about 40 mph in a zone where I usually push 55 when this bloke pulls out of the left and cuts across the road. 1) it's illegal to cut across this particular segment. 2) I'm not sure if he stopped or not but he sure as hell didn't see me before he pulled out. I grabbed my front breaks and let go of my throttle till about half then touched the rear, pretty much a perfect stop (at least for me), barely missing his back bumper. I saw the trooper behind me stop in the middle of the road for about 3-5 seconds while I kept going as if he were trying to decide whether to pursue that jerk or not. He decided not to do it.. -shrug-

The problem was I didn't learn my lesson, not really anyway. I blamed my skills on the situation, forgetting a whole other part of the equation - the weather and the bike's own limits. You guys talk about this a lot here but when you've been successfully careless on a consistant basis you start to get kinda arrogant so that's what happened to me.

On the way back, I'm feeling much better, it's sunny and I'm in a good mood. I'm actually driving far less recklessly than before, but on a particular stretch of road I kind of drift off into my habits and do something stupid. We're going down a long stretch of road with a stop light on it. The road is leaning right though I wouldn't call it a turn per se. There's a guy in a kia in front of me, we're both pushing 50 mph, and at a distance of about 10-12 cars in front of the light (I suck at estimating distances so it mighta been closer/farther but it was no where close enough for me to stop if I didn't start doing it right there and then), the light turns yellow. Well, I had the same exact situation happen a couple days ago, and the bloke in front of me burned it through, I did the same, hitting the light just as it turned red. I guess in that split second decision I say to myself "do it." And don't touch the breaks.

After about a second of what appears to be the same thing, the Kia guy slams on the breaks. I already see myself flying over the top of his car. Somehow, my subconsciousness took over, I hit the rear breaks, downshifted (actually not sure if that was smart but that's what I remember reading here), and grabbed the front just enough for the front not to lock up. Basically I did the same thing as I did that morning. And something funny happens that I never felt before, my rear wheel (feels like it) is riding alongside my front.. hello!

I turned the bike straight so I was going into the place between the Kia and the car on the left of it (yeah, there was a huge van there). The road only turned slightly so even though I was going straight, I don't think I was gonna hit the van. Not sure how but I did a number of things that I never done before that lead to my stopping next to the bumper of the car in front. I let go of the rear break and I think because I downshifted and haven't fully let go of the throttle or just by luck, I felt my rear wheel catch, then I hit it again, it locked up again, I let go of it, and the next time it caught I managed to stop. After a brief shock, I began to widely grin and breathe. Cursing myself and the Kia dude. He definitely hit the breaks too late for that light, even if I were in a car I woulda been in huge danger... but as I've read here, if you hit the back of someone it really is your fault because you shouldn't be riding so damn close.

My major lesson learned was the weather factor. I did the same exact stuff as I did during the morning, in fact, I think I even hit the rear a little lighter and the front heavier, but it felt like I slid WAY sooner than I should have. During the morning the road was cold, this time it was hot so I shoulda been sticky but I frogot about oil and humidity. Doh. Boston has been suffering from a crappy mix of heat/cold fronts and random showers, high humidity, and lots of sun. That road saw a lot of traffic.. it was basically an ice patch.

Anyway, sorry for this long thread but this was a hell of a day. And a hell of a lesson to learn.. no matter how well you ride.. you don't respect the weather and you won't get respect in return.

p.s. I'm very thankful for these boards.. the stuff I read here caused me to practice simple things like using the front break during rides when I didn't need to do it. In fact, I cannot recall a time I ever felt like I NEEDED to use it till today.. but if I hadn't practiced that stuff.. oof..
Old 03-07-07, 05:16 AM   #2
TC3

Default Re: Another day, another lesson (long story)

Does not sound to me that you have learnt your lesson. You keep assuming that other vehicles will do this and that and fail to be ready to act if they change their speed or direction. Blaming the weather is bull **** in my opinion mate....sorry but that is how i see it
Old 03-07-07, 07:35 AM   #3
muffles

I see TC3's point, I think you've learnt some things but need to be a bit more prepared for what a car is going to do (e.g. not sitting so close - consequences are much higher on a bike!). But good for you on the stuff you have learnt. Btw how did you ever manage to ride without using the front brake??
Old 03-07-07, 09:16 AM   #4
Steve_God
Mega Poster

I'm with TC3 here... without trying to sound harsh, you haven't learn't anything from that (or at least it hasn't come across that way).
What you should've learn't from that experience is:

- Don't assume anything of other car drivers. Yes, you can try and think 'Well If I was in that car then I would've done something different'... but it never works that way.

- Assume that everyone on the road: Can't see you, or, can see you and want to cut you up at every opportunity. (I know not everyone is like this, some are kind and move over to let you past, but if you start out that way then you're less likely to get yourself into interesting situations.

- Use your front brake! (If you're going to ride like a nutter, don't bother with the rear brake for excessively fast braking, it WILL just lock-up). I personally only use my rear brake for slow maneuvering or in bad weather. Ideally use both, but it all comes down to conditions. It also sounds like you don't like using the front brake because of it locking up, which leads me onto:

- Progressive braking:
I've copied this off http://www.motorvike.com/MotoChat_Pr...ve_Braking.htm and I think this is were your main problem of locking up with the front wheel lies!!!

Quote:
An ideal stop goes something like this:

You apply both brakes gradually and with almost equal force for the first phase of your braking.

The weight will transfer forwards as the front suspension compresses, and your arms bend, the front tire now bites into the road.
There's now more weight on the front (up to 100% if you're braking at 1g - and modern road bikes can brake at up to 1.2g).
You now let off most - or all - of the rear brake and increase pressure on the front, which now has most or all of the grip. This middle phase of braking can be 100%:0% - if it is less than 85% Front, you probably aren't braking near your bike's limits.

The bike slows and the forces you are exerting through the brakes and tires diminish (the energy in the bike is proportional to the square of your speed).

The front begins to rise back up on its suspension.[If it's an emergency, you now breath a sigh of relief and a small prayer of thanks].

You taper off on the front brake - to prevent a slow speed lock up - and increase the rear brake pressure once more.

Even stopping from 100mph, the last 5mph is slow riding, and you should only use the rear brake for slow riding. So you do the final phase of stopping 0% Front and 100% rear.
So from reading that, you can see that "I grabbed a fistful of front breaks" will lead to a slow speed lock-up, and is what resulting in you coming off.
SV650s; K6; Metallic Euclase Silver; Fully Faired; Renegade Twin Exhaust Full System (Stubbied); Full ECU Remap; Fabri Tinted DB Screen; Hamicad Fender Eliminater; Bagster Seat/Suzuki Gel Seat; Fenda Extenda; HEL Braided Brake Hoses; R&G Crash Bungs; GSXR Front-end, Triumph Daytona 675 Front Brake Master Cylinder; RedFox Rear Hugger; BMC F.1 Air Filter; Top Box!
Coastal Tours:Great Britain (for Cancer Research) - 3588.2 miles: Completed July 2007. Ireland - 1466 miles: Completed for July 2008

Last edited by Steve_God; 03-07-07 at 09:19 AM. Reason: Minor Tweak
Steve_God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-07, 10:23 AM   #5
Baph

IMO, your machine control is almost perfect. Yes, you could have a little more finesse with the levers, but you stopped in both cases without hitting anything. That's the part that counts.

However, observation (and possible more so intuition) maybe needs a little work. Seeing a car stopped at a stop sign/light there is only one thing they WILL do. That's move. It's only a question of when.
Old 03-07-07, 11:14 AM   #6
Alpinestarhero

You sound like your riding a bike like driving a car - following the guy in front. Look two, three cars ahead - when they brake, you brake. Well before the guy in front!

Also, keep a distance. Then you wont be suprised

And always assume that the person in the junction will pull out. Unless you have made eye contact, they havnt seen you no matter how yellow your bike is and how loud the can is!

Ride safe, and ride sensibly

Matt

P.S. Are you from across the pond (i.e. USA)? Don't they train bikers differantly over there? As far as I'm aware there is little formal training?

P.P.S maybe some off-road riding would benefit you? This way you learn alot about a sliding motorcycle, and front end lock ups. Also, spend some hours practising emergency stops on a dry, quiet road with a freind or someone to look out for traffic for you, and give randomly timed signals for you to brake. I cant understand why you have little confidence with the front brake - it should be the brake you are using 95% of the time! Dont be afraid.

Last edited by Alpinestarhero; 03-07-07 at 11:19 AM.
Old 03-07-07, 11:18 AM   #7
Baph

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpinestarhero View Post
And always assume that the person in the junction will pull out. Unless you have made eye contact, they havnt seen you no matter how yellow your bike is and how loud the can is!
Sorry Matt, I disagree here. I couldn't give a monkeys if I've eyeballed someone or not, as far as I'm concerned, they're still going to try & kill me.
Old 03-07-07, 11:22 AM   #8
Alpinestarhero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baph View Post
Sorry Matt, I disagree here. I couldn't give a monkeys if I've eyeballed someone or not, as far as I'm concerned, they're still going to try & kill me.
Well, yes, ultimatly they are still gonna pull out on you. Dosnt matter if they have seen you or not they can still do it, but if they have seen you (and you know they have!) least they cant use the good ol' excuse of "sorry mate, didnt see you".

Matt
Old 03-07-07, 11:23 AM   #9
Baph

I'd just rather not stop & talk to them.
Old 03-07-07, 11:25 AM   #10
Alpinestarhero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baph View Post
I'd just rather not stop & talk to them.
I like to have a good word with those that pull out on me

If they don't look too mean and scary

Matt