SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 06-07-17, 08:57 PM   #4641
maviczap
Mega Poster

Default Re: Gripe of the day - What is yours?

He's one of them weekend warrior's

Only cycles at the weekend, in the summer and in full replica Team Sky kit.

Wears Rapha cycle wear, nice kit if you can afford it, extra bragging points.

Rides deep section carbon wheels, just like Chris Froome, extra bragging points.

It's the latest 'man thing' to do, because all you mates are doing the same
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-17, 09:09 PM   #4642
DarrenSV650S
Mega Poster

Give him a £90 halfords steel frame with knobbly tyres and see how far he gets. There's no accomplishment in making your workout easier with expensive lighter bits
DarrenSV650S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-17, 09:43 PM   #4643
andrewsmith
Mega Poster

Location: Newcastle upon Tyne, Just south of salad dodging country

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrenSV650S View Post
Give him a £90 halfords steel frame with knobbly tyres and see how far he gets. There's no accomplishment in making your workout easier with expensive lighter bits
This

Did it on a Giant downhill frame and went past a few not even trying

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

Every year we meet old friends, gain some new ones, lose old ones and you always remember them all.
“Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.” Mahatma Gandhi
andrewsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-17, 10:38 PM   #4644
garynortheast
Mega Poster

I've been riding a pair of Halfords Apollo bikes for the last 16 years and wearing kit bought in Lidl and Aldi. The bikes have been regularly ridden in all sorts of conditions, are still in one piece and I bet I've had at least as much fun on them as the feller on the ten grand carbon fibre creation.
garynortheast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-17, 10:41 PM   #4645
DomP

He loves the fact his bike costs more than my SV...I LOVE the fact my SV costs less than his bike!

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk
Old 07-07-17, 06:17 AM   #4646
Littlepeahead
Mega Poster

Everywhere you go now there are sweaty mamils. I'm always having to climb over bikes to get on the rush train. I go for a peaceful Sunday breakfast and there they are, perspiring in their skin tight outfits putting me right off my eggs Benedict with their precious bikes cluttering up the outside space of every cafe.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Old 07-07-17, 08:54 AM   #4647
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrenSV650S View Post
This bloke worked all the hours god sends and commuted about 100 miles a day in his BMW, poor bugger never had the time to ride his bike.

It doesn't take much to work out that the more money people pay for their bike the less they are gonna ride it, is this the same with motorbikes ? Discuss please ................

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Last edited by SV650rules; 07-07-17 at 09:12 AM.
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-17, 08:58 AM   #4648
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by littleoldman2 View Post
Equally true of tarmac coloured cars and folk who ride a multicoloured bike and wear camo gear that breaks up their shape.
Even a tarmac coloured car has a big advantage over a pushbike or motorbike in the visibility stakes, that it is one solid block of colour that blocks out whatever is behind it, bikes are made up of spaces and bits of colour. The car probably has DRL's as well, I fitted a pair of 10W LED spots to my SV and now Tim Peake has me clearly visible on one of his famous photographs he took from space station. Nice bright white light is your best friend if you want to be noticed, these LEDs make my extreme bright blue xenon headlight bulb look positively yellow.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Last edited by SV650rules; 07-07-17 at 09:01 AM.
Old 07-07-17, 09:10 AM   #4649
DomP

SV650rules- how did you fit them and are they designed as a bike lamp or something you've made up. Are they road legal as I'd be interested to increase my visibility.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk
Old 07-07-17, 09:32 AM   #4650
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomP View Post
SV650rules- how did you fit them and are they designed as a bike lamp or something you've made up. Are they road legal as I'd be interested to increase my visibility.
http://www.alchemyparts.co.uk/spot-f...riceasc&page=2

No they are proper motorbike quality IP66 etc. Mine are the 10 watt Cree led at bottom left of page, £55.09 – but plenty of others from 3 watt upwards, I would recommend the Cree LED chips as made in USA and bulletproof quality. Had these fitted since May 2016 when I got my AL7 - the only proviso on the ones I got is that the screw in the joint between the lamp body and its stainless steel bracket is a bit small and easily stripped, I ended up with some epoxy in the joint (it doesn't need to move anyway so may as well be solid). My brother also fitted these same ones to his CBR600 and is well chuffed.

They do wiring kits but I just bought a handlebar switch from Alchemy (black body with red colour switch rocker matched the other controls perfectly) and wired an inline 10 amp fuse from sidelight circuit.

alchemy also on amazon https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?me=A2FD1QJ3QJ1O94

photo attached - my garage is much tidier now, and those oil spots aren't from the SV. The lights are mounted off mirror mounts (mirror stem to bar clamp fasteners are both LH threaded on my bike).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC02449.jpg (115.2 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by SV650rules; 08-07-17 at 08:43 AM.