SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 17-11-08, 12:30 AM   #1
chakraist

Default Weird electrical problems

So my clocks started bouncing around when I hit bumps a few days ago. This then graduated into completely haywire clocks. Then I turned the bike on, it started flickering the lights on and off; didn't bother going anywhere, wasn't urgent and I was afraid it would cut out. It's been sat in the rain uncovered a few nights in a row, I think it might be a funny connection around the clocks area or a bit of water in the loom. I'm going to take the fairings off tomorrow and get everything checked over at the front, but what do people think?

Thanks as ever,
Conrad
Old 17-11-08, 12:47 AM   #2
chakraist

Default Re: Weird electrical problems

Oh... also, weirdly the bike feels like it's cutting out when I nail the throttle from 3-4krpm, and then again a little jiggle at about 7krpm.
Old 17-11-08, 01:05 AM   #3
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Loose battery connections?
Old 17-11-08, 01:12 AM   #4
chakraist

I would think that, but it starts perfectly when the lights aren't flickering off. The clocks were going weird but the alarm was disarming fine and it was starting nice and easy. Makes me think a loose connection at the front as the clocks went first?
Old 17-11-08, 01:33 AM   #5
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Clocks and lights don't share feed, unless it's the earth to front half of the loom.
Old 17-11-08, 02:07 AM   #6
chakraist

Okay, I'll go through everything in order, from front to back and check all the connections, turn the key and see what happens each time, isolate the problem. After that if there's nothing I guess it's go buy a multimeter?
Old 17-11-08, 12:33 PM   #7
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Yeap. Just check usual stuff like the connection to starter relay etc first though. It's wierd what they can do.

E.g when connection to starter relay came loose on mine, it dropped down onto one cylinder, the clocks went mental etc... but if you pressed the pass button everything went back to normal!
Old 17-11-08, 12:52 PM   #8
Grinch

I'd have a look at the starter relay, the connector for the fuse on the relay tends to rot thought, as as it gets worse you notice the symptoms above. True on the curvy, not so sure about pointies.
Old 17-11-08, 01:38 PM   #9
chakraist

Wow, that's basically the problems I've been having, I guess the weird cutting out sensation is it dropping to one cylinder intermittently? I'll have a look through the haynes, but as I've got everything off the bike at the moment and can't see anything drastically wrong (I haven't checked the starter relay), I may as well take it all apart and put it back together again.

Last edited by chakraist; 17-11-08 at 01:42 PM.
Old 17-11-08, 02:06 PM   #10
chakraist

Right; got the starter relay out and it only has one 30A fuse instead of two. It has one on the side of the battery lead and not on the side of the starter motor lead. Confusion. Do you clever chaps think this might be my problem?