SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 12-07-19, 09:45 AM   #1
Irish_SVS

Default RPM and speed not working - 2005 SV650S

Hi all,

Feedback would be appreciated please.

The panel on the LCD panel on the instrument cluster of my 2005 SV650S got cracked and me not taking care of it resulted in water leaking in - at the time the LEDs stopped working along with the speedo and RPM (which were intermittent at the time).

I glued the crack and after it had dried out the LEDs for the trip, clock are working but now the only things not working are as follows:

RPM level.
Speed and total miles done (this now shows 0 miles done!).

Would it be a case that the water damaged the sensors for the RPM and speed or could a fuse be blown?

Or would it require a replacement cluster?

Thanks in advance!

Stephen
Irish_SVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-19, 09:49 AM   #2
DarrenSV650S
Mega Poster

Default Re: RPM and speed not working - 2005 SV650S

The circuit board will be fkd. Time for a new cluster I'd say
DarrenSV650S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-19, 09:55 AM   #3
Irish_SVS

Thanks for that Darren - time to pull it out to get the correct part number...
Old 12-07-19, 10:10 AM   #4
Othen

The attached circuit diagram may help.

I don’t think it can be sensor failure because the RPM and speed sensors are different, and I don’t think it can be a fuse because some things work, others don’t.

That leaves either the cluster that has failed, or a bad connection block leading to it. Either way it has to come apart (taking the fairing off to get access doesn’t take long), then check all the block connectors first, because they are the cheap bit. Use a test meter to check for voltage and continuity as per the diagram. Give everything a spray with some contact cleaner as you put it together. If you are very fortunate it may be a block connector - if it was intermittent before the crack occurred it could be water ingress or corrosion.

If that doesn’t work then by a process of elimination it probably has to be the instrument cluster - which will probably be an expensive part (new) but because SVs are so common there will be a cheaper used part around (it may well have the wrong mileage reading, but I don’t think it will be electronically keyed to the original bike).

I hope it is just a bad connection or two, but I fear it is probably the instrument cluster. Take your time and check everything methodically before you buy the expensive bit.

Good fortune,

Alan

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited by Othen; 15-07-19 at 06:34 AM.
Old 12-07-19, 10:28 AM   #5
Irish_SVS

Thanks very much for the diagram Alan! Everything was working without issue until the water ingress unfortunately. Now I think about it, the rev counter started going a little crazy on me before it finally gave up the ghost - showing it revving even when the bike was sat still. I'll look for a secondhand part, the mileage won't bother me as I've had it 11 years and don't have any plans to get rid of it. The wife doesn't complain! Thanks again, Stephen
Old 12-07-19, 06:53 PM   #6
Othen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish_SVS View Post
Thanks very much for the diagram Alan! Everything was working without issue until the water ingress unfortunately. Now I think about it, the rev counter started going a little crazy on me before it finally gave up the ghost - showing it revving even when the bike was sat still. I'll look for a secondhand part, the mileage won't bother me as I've had it 11 years and don't have any plans to get rid of it. The wife doesn't complain! Thanks again, Stephen

It looks like there are a couple of used items that would fit for about £40 on eBay, although a new one is £275!

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F123789610498

Alan

Last edited by Othen; 12-07-19 at 07:09 PM.
Old 12-07-19, 11:33 PM   #7
Bibio
Mega Poster

its feked get a new one off ebay...
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-19, 08:47 AM   #8
Irish_SVS

Sorry for the delay in replying Alan. Thanks very much for posting that eBay listing - I'll see if he'll post to Ireland.

All the best.

Stephen
Old 15-07-19, 11:10 AM   #9
Othen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish_SVS View Post
Sorry for the delay in replying Alan. Thanks very much for posting that eBay listing - I'll see if he'll post to Ireland.

All the best.

Stephen

Ah, you mean RoI, not NI. I suppose post might be a little more difficult. It might be worth trying to source one more locally Stephen, isn’t there a bike breakers somewhere in RoI that would have one?
Good fortune,
Alan

Old 15-07-19, 03:59 PM   #10
Irish_SVS

Thanks again for the info here Alan - the prices would be much higher here than the UK, as would the selection of parts - I messaged the seller on eBay to confirm he will post it to Ireland.

All I need to do now is get the old cluster out to confirm the part number. My pointy 650S is a 2005 reg with the aluminium frame (not black). I've read in threads where the cluster is different for the different years?

Thanks again for everything!

Stephen