SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 01-05-11, 04:49 PM   #1
RobH13

Default Charging problems.

Hi Peeps,

Well, I'm trying to get to the bottom of my charging Problem!!

I went to halfords today, had both batteries checked @ 250A and all appears ok.

Start bike,

reg/rec reading,

At tick over, the output gradually climbs to 13.8v

With nothing on at 5K I'm getting around 14.08V

Alternator output

Tick over 30.0V

@ 4K 75 ish over the 3 set's

Earlier today, I sprayed a load of contact cleaner over the cables leading from the Alt and then cleaned it with Parrafin.

Is it likely that the grime & crap around the cables is causing my charging problem or is it more likely to be a short?

Any help great appreciated as I feel like sticking a rag in the tank and lighting it

Regards

Rob
Old 01-05-11, 05:19 PM   #2
Garstang Rider

Default Re: Any Ideas?

I had a charging/starting problem for a while, for me it was the battery cable contacts that had a thin grimy crud on, a bit of scraping to expose bare metal resolved it. Still running on the same battery.
Old 01-05-11, 05:22 PM   #3
RobH13

Thanks Garstang,

I've been cleaning all sorts of contacts today, I've taken to the beer this evening, so got the batteries on charge and a trip in the morning planned

Heres hoping

Rob.
Old 01-05-11, 05:28 PM   #4
Garstang Rider

Sounds like the best stratergy at this time!
Old 01-05-11, 06:16 PM   #5
warmshed

The readings sound Ok to me, perhaps a little low at 5000 revs with no load, what is the voltage at 5000revs with the lights on? book says 13-5 to 15.5 at 5000 revs.

Last edited by warmshed; 01-05-11 at 06:18 PM.
Old 01-05-11, 08:10 PM   #6
warmshed

You have only given half the story, the battery you say is fine, the charge is too, so whats the problem? If you have trouble starting it then either you have a faulty starter motor drawing too much current, poor connections or a drain on the battery when you have switched the ignition off so it has discharged after leaving it for a while. or am I missing something????.
Old 02-05-11, 02:16 AM   #7
RobH13

It's starts first time, but doesn't appear to be charging the battery when i ride. I put a used loom in, the other had been butchered and the Immobiliser was also a pain and suspect of draining the charge. The only part of the loom that wasn't replaced was the Head light section.

I went for a short ride Sat without any lights, ran fine, on return, put lights on, approx 2-3 miles from home, just as i pulled onto the drive, the fuel light came on and mileage display starts to go to 88888. I was told that it's the Reg/Rec, but put a new one on around 12 ish months ago.

I'm just finding it hard to believe it's gone again. The more you read the more things it can be, I had little purge on things today cleaning connectors and spraying with contact cleaner, didn't want to strip it, as i was going to get rid next weekend via a trade in, but would prefer to sort it before passing it on.

Rob.

Last edited by RobH13; 02-05-11 at 02:19 AM.
Old 02-05-11, 08:56 AM   #8
Geodude
Mega Poster

Default Re: Charging problems.

Link to my voltage problems dont know about the fuel light and mileage display issue though never came across that one before.

Electrical fault finding guide and Regulator rectifier test

Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.
Geodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-11, 09:01 AM   #9
warmshed

I cant see the charging circuit being at fault if the battery stays close to 12volts or even slightly less, there is no way it could cause the low level light to come on, though the diagram just gives a square box for this area so there is no way to see how it works. The low fuel is activated by an earth on the black/green and/or red/green. so have a look around the connections in the back of the speedo.. Does anything else come on? or act up? Is the battery ok when you stop so it is able to start the bike again? if so I would forget the charging circuit.
Old 02-05-11, 10:02 AM   #10
RobH13

I'm pretty sure that all lights start playing up. Once it dies, it won't re-start the bike. A mate came out to me in his car, did a jump start and i then managed to ride home approx 8 Miles before it died completely.

Appreciate your assistants.

Rob.