SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 07-06-11, 10:14 AM   #1
jonny.boyd

Default Worst Nightmare...

Sorry if this is a hitler post, but from my biking experience this was one of the things I dreaded most:

YouTube Video
Error: If you cannot see this video, then either YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed to play it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5Bci...eature=related
jonny.boyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-11, 10:18 AM   #2
G
Mega Poster

Default Re: Worst Nightmare...

Beasty, I saw the gaps between both trucks a mile off and thought either of the 4x4s might make a dive for one of them as I was watching the clip. Guess the rider in question didn't lol...
Old 07-06-11, 10:18 AM   #3
fenjer

Oowwwwwww!

I love the voices at the end. At least the biker was up and seemed generally unharmed.

(see his reflection in the screen)
Old 07-06-11, 10:24 AM   #4
jonny.boyd

I think in this kind of situation a loud can is your best friend! At least that's what i found, when filtering through traffic just giving the bike a little rev, people would hear you from inside their tin cans and know you were there..
jonny.boyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-11, 10:43 AM   #5
Reeder

He was going a bit quick im my opinion.
Old 07-06-11, 10:44 AM   #6
Owenski

far too easy to happen.
filtering past one large vehicle upto another with out rear/side windows is tempting fate.
On this occasion fate caught up with the guy.

Glad he was up and about ok, and dont pretend for one section that Im critical of his riding - we've all done worse and gotten away with it.

Edit: It took a second watch but just as the first 4x4 moves left to allow him through you can just see the white van is moving left. Its as though he was thinking of pulling into the first gap (also explains why the 4x4 brakes quite hard and the biker then decides to nip round) however having seen the lorry brake and a larger gap appear in front the van driver swung back out before continuing to the new larger gap. When he gets there he just chucks the van straight across - Based on the initial location of the bike behind the 4x4 he'll have been completly unaware of the bike now making progress, even if he had previously done all the correct checks before considering the first gap he'd still not have expected the bike to come through.

Last edited by Owenski; 07-06-11 at 10:50 AM.
Old 07-06-11, 10:47 AM   #7
JamesMio
Mega Poster

Entirely the biker's fault I'm afraid.

Should have spotted the gap between the trucks and assumed the 4x4 (which has got it's r/h indicator on)was going to be heading that way.

That said, ouch!

Creatomatic
JamesMio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-11, 10:56 AM   #8
Dicky Ticker

All I can say is that once it HAS happened to you you become much slower at filtering,not that I was going as fast as the bike in the clip.
Mine was with the traffic in the inside lane,which I was in,be it only fractionally over the white line and guess what,it was a 4x4 with me as well only no indicator in my case
Some 4x4's seem to have limited rear and peripheral vision due to the rear door and number,thickness of pillars that encroach into the drivers rear view.

Last edited by Dicky Ticker; 07-06-11 at 10:57 AM.
Old 07-06-11, 11:01 AM   #9
Viney
Mega Poster

Seen it happen a lot of times. Avoided it many times myself. I still filter at a brisk pace, but look for those gaps that others may feel the need to fill.
Viney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-11, 11:02 AM   #10
Dicky Ticker

Having an indicator on does not give you the right to turn over other traffic/change lane but likewise the rider should have seen it and been aware of the potential hazard.