SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 13-08-13, 10:17 AM   #1
dirtyred619

Default How do you fit your action cam to your bike?

Not quite as daft as it may sound at first this one. I've got a Drift HD170 cam and on my SV I had aftermarket mirrors fitted that had a round stem, so I used a mount to attach my camera to that. Now that I've got the GSXR, when I came to attach the mount to the stems they are more oval and so the mount doesn't fit tightly without a bit of fettling.

I'm thinking of using the helmet mount with the sticky velcro pads they provide but have been a little reluctant so far for a couple of reasons. The first is when/if I decide to remove the velcro pad is it easy enough to do without scratching or damaging the helmet? And secondly, is it safe to attach the camera this way i.e. is the sticky velcro pad upto the job of holding the camera securely and steadily, especially if getting upto higher speeds? Don't want the camera flying off whilst doing 70* on the M60 for instance!

Also, if mounting to your helmet, is it best to mount on top or to the side?

Cheers
Mike

*ish!

Last edited by dirtyred619; 13-08-13 at 10:24 AM.
Old 13-08-13, 01:07 PM   #2
Tomor
Mega Poster

Default How do you fit your action cam to your bike?

Hi Mike. I have my drift ghost mounted to the top of my helmet using the 3m sticky pad. I wouldn't use the Velcro pad, ask fallout why. I also have a mount on my handlebars( not helpful for you as I have a street triple) if you really don't want it on your helmet, have you looked at the suction mount?

Tom
Old 13-08-13, 01:26 PM   #3
Dabteacake

Default Re: How do you fit your action cam to your bike?

What about this to the tank or on the front of the screen?

http://www.actioncameras.co.uk/drift-suction-cup-mount
Old 13-08-13, 02:28 PM   #4
jambo
Mega Poster

I have a Drift 170 (well the stealth, but I don't think the colour matters a great deal)

I've mounted it to the side of my lid using the supplied clip and, because I wasn't sure if I wanted to keep it, some gaffa tape. It's held rather well for the last few months, I really should just take the gaffer tape off and just use the sticky pad....

On the track bike I mount it to the handlebar as there's no fairing to get in the way.

Jambo
Old 13-08-13, 07:58 PM   #5
Stenno

I've used the non velcro mounting from drift on top of my lid. It didn't fit on the side very well due to the profile. Although I wouldn't have thought the velcro would come off, the velcro could certainly come undone from itself.

I've put it on my lid without thought about taking it off. It's quite sticky stuff from 3M but I imagine some careful persistance could eventually remove it.
Old 13-08-13, 07:59 PM   #6
Stenno

Oh and tape the bracket on before settling on the 3M in order to get the angle right. I hate watching videos of the tarmac below :P
Old 14-08-13, 12:05 PM   #7
dirtyred619

Thanks for the replies. I only got the velcro sticky pad with mine but glad I asked as I probably would have gone ahead andjust used that, I'll have to see where to buy just a double sided sticky 3M pad from thats good and strong. Are they easy enough to remove without causing any damage though?
Old 14-08-13, 01:26 PM   #8
M65

Check out this thread:
http://www.r1-forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=325840

They make mounts for various different bikes and I recently got one for my SV. I can vouch that they are good quality and do the trick. Got plenty of footage using it and its all been good.
Old 14-08-13, 01:35 PM   #9
granty92

i mount the gopro on top of my helmet using the 3m sticky pad, wouldn't trust velcro at all,
Old 14-08-13, 02:12 PM   #10
speedyctr

Quote:
Originally Posted by M65 View Post
Check out this thread:
http://www.r1-forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=325840

They make mounts for various different bikes and I recently got one for my SV. I can vouch that they are good quality and do the trick. Got plenty of footage using it and its all been good.
I clicked the link M65 but where did you buy the mount from? Have you a link to a video recorded from this mount?

speedyctr is offline   Reply With Quote