SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

View Poll Results: Can You Help
Yes Count me in regardless 3 50.00%
Love the idea but have my own charity to give to 3 50.00%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Old 13-11-06, 09:59 AM   #1
Viper

Default Ride Out for Charity.. anyone interested

Morning All.

I have had a really crap week or so. My old man (age 55) had a mild heart attack at the beginning of the week. Whilst in Southampton general hospital last Sunday he suffered yet another attack. Unfortunately this attack was a nasty *******. It ripped the outer lining of the heart and shattered one of the valves and did untold damage. He was rushed into theatre and was operated on for 9 hours. The surgeons did a triple bypass, mended his valve and sorted out all the damage form the attack. He is still in intensive care in Southampton and has 2 full time nurses caring for him. They are doing a fantastic job and he is slowly improving.
In addition to all this care that the staff are giving him the hospital has provided a room in a share house 300yards from the hospital for my mother to stay in (they live 2 hours away from the hospital). They have provided all this FREE of charge. She can stay there as long as she needs.

I would like to show my thanks to the staff and all on the coronary intensive care unit by trying to raise as much money as possible so other people in my family's situation can have these services available to them.

Please use the poll to indicate if you might like to be involved. I am unsure of the format how how to go about raising some money so if anyone has any suggestions i would be greatful

Cheers Guys and Gals

Viper / Rick
Old 13-11-06, 10:10 AM   #2
keithd

20+ views and not a reply in sight! not even to wish your Dad well?

sorry to hear about the old man Rick. sounds like they are doing a fabulous job, the NHS don't always get the respect they deserve. i know its not the doctors and nurses fault its funding etc but its not the time or place to get political.

anyhoo, best wishes for a speedy recovery, good luck in the organising of the charity ride-out

keith
Old 13-11-06, 10:13 AM   #3
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

Sorry to hear about this, best wishes for a speedy recovery for your dad.

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-06, 10:13 AM   #4
hovis

sorry to hear about your father. sounds as if the hospital is helping out a lot

i have ticked the yes box. i would like to help if poss
stay strong. & i hope he is ok. its amazing what the docs can do these days
Old 13-11-06, 10:24 AM   #5
Beenz

I know how you feel Rick, my father went through some awfull times last summer, and will not recover to his former health. Unfortunately the hospital he was in was not at all good for him compounding his problems.

I hope your father is doing better now and recovers well. The staff at his hospital sound very good.

As for a ride out for charity, good luck, I like it. Its a personal thing for most people as for where money should be donated though. From a personal view I'd prefer to donate to the non funded areas like Air Ambulance.
Old 13-11-06, 10:35 AM   #6
Stu
Trinity
Mega Poster

I wish your Dad well in his recovery, just a thought, I know you are probably all fired up now, but I'm sure the unit needs money all year round, you might get more support (assuming you're thinking of a bike run) in the summer.
My IAM group did a John O'Groats to Lands End run in 24 hrs this summer and raised £10,000 (from that + an Elvis Night )
Don't know how the fund raising was organised - but sounds like it was effective with just 3 bikes doing the run.
Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-06, 10:37 AM   #7
Baph

Sorry to hear about this Rick.

You also missed an option "Would love to, but depends on distance & date."

Failing that, a donation to the specific department at the specific hospital. Yes, this isn't fair on those who don't attend that perticular hospital/dept, however, good service is good service. Not all hospitals offer the same level of service (for whatever reason). The way to make them improve service isn't to shower them in money, it's to reward the one's that are already achiving. This does only work to a certain point though.

So in short, failing a ride out due to the distance from me, or the date, I'm up for a donation to the department that helped your dad out. Not because of the nursing staff (inc doctors) but mainly for the policy of housing. Not all hospitals can do this, and those that can, often don't. It's unusual to find hospital directors etc that don't make life hard for the staff doing the grafting.
Old 13-11-06, 10:41 AM   #8
Viney
Mega Poster

GWS soon to your dad.

Charity rideout....sounds a good idea. Quite how you will raise money i dont know, but good intentions etc, i shall be there.
Viney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-06, 10:50 AM   #9
Tara

Rick i wish your dad a speedy recovery

a rideout depends on dates/weather and of course weather falc can make it
Old 13-11-06, 11:15 AM   #10
falc

Yup speedy recovery to your dad.

Post up some plans and we'll try and make it