SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 12-12-06, 10:14 PM   #1
ejohnh

Default vacuum gauges - carb synching (k2 naked BS)

Hi,

I want to buy a pair of vac gauges from busters to sync my carbs. During the online buying process I am asked if I require 6mm adaptors. Well, do I?

I haven't been on the beast since saturday and it's rain until next sunday.. It's killing..

John
Old 13-12-06, 08:29 AM   #2
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

No. The SV has two brass stubs on to which the rubber hoses from the gauges will push, no adaptors required.
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

"a deathless anthem of nuclear-strength romantic angst"
Sid Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-06, 08:35 AM   #3
Viney
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid Squid
No. The SV has two brass stubs on to which the rubber hoses from the gauges will push, no adaptors required.
...and the front one is a right paint ot get to.
Viney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-06, 10:17 AM   #4
chazzyb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viney
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid Squid
...and the front one is a right paint ot get to.
Yes, but if you source some vacuum pipe and leave 6" or so connected with a bung in it when not in use, it's only a problem once.
Old 13-12-06, 12:20 PM   #5
johnnyrod
Mega Poster

If you mean these ones

http://www.busters-accessories.co.uk...l.asp?prod=EVG

I've used them and they're crap. Get these:

http://www.mandp.co.uk/productInfo.aspx?catRef=525113

or Carbtune, not used Carbtune but no-one seems to complain about it. I know they're more but the Busters ones I found to be just toys. I know the Davida/Carbtune ones are more, but you can still balance a four with two gauges if you have to, so the fact a set of two costs as much as a cheap set of four doesn't matter really.
johnnyrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-06, 02:32 PM   #6
ejohnh

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyrod
If you mean these ones

or Carbtune, not used Carbtune but no-one seems to complain about it. I know they're more but the Busters ones I found to be just toys. I know the Davida/Carbtune ones are more, but you can still balance a four with two gauges if you have to, so the fact a set of two costs as much as a cheap set of four doesn't matter really.
I was meaning those but you've put me right off them! Thanks, I hate buying rubbish. I looked at the blurb for the davida and also the carbtune mark 2. I'm leaning towards the carbtunes together with the extension tubes which you can leave connected.

How can you balance 4 carbs with just 2 gauges?

The 4 column carbtunes are not much more than the 2 column ones, so would the 4 col be OK to balance 2 carbs? (in case I get a 4 at some future date)

Anyone got any doubts about the carbtune mk 2's ??

JohnH
Old 13-12-06, 03:29 PM   #7
gettin2dizzy

carbtunes are excellent. to balance 4 cylinders with a 2 gauge is easy, just balance 1&2, then 1&3 then 1&4 and then check the balance between 2&3&4.... Spigot was the word you were looking for! no adapters required. cheapest price for carbtune is their own website, customer service is excellent too
Old 13-12-06, 04:09 PM   #8
ejohnh

Quote:
Originally Posted by gettin2dizzy
carbtunes are excellent. to balance 4 cylinders with a 2 gauge is easy, just balance 1&2, then 1&3 then 1&4 and then check the balance between 2&3&4.... Spigot was the word you were looking for! no adapters required. cheapest price for carbtune is their own website, customer service is excellent too
Thanks for the info. Maybe I'll buy myself another kryssie prezzy then.
Old 13-12-06, 06:28 PM   #9
netsurfer

Default Re: vacuum gauges - carb synching (k2 naked BS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejohnh
I haven't been on the beast since saturday and it's rain until next sunday.. It's killing..
me too

Pete
Old 13-12-06, 06:43 PM   #10
Caddy2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejohnh
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyrod
If you mean these ones

I was meaning those but you've put me right off them! Thanks, I hate buying rubbish. I looked at the blurb for the davida and also the carbtune mark 2. I'm leaning towards the carbtunes together with the extension tubes which you can leave connected.

How can you balance 4 carbs with just 2 gauges?

The 4 column carbtunes are not much more than the 2 column ones, so would the 4 col be OK to balance 2 carbs? (in case I get a 4 at some future date)

Anyone got any doubts about the carbtune mk 2's ??

JohnH
Got them and love 'em!!! Got the 4 line one just because if I am balancing a 4 cylinder it saves a lot of faffing about and skin stays on my knuckles