SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 18-07-17, 07:19 AM   #1
BoltonSte
Mega Poster

Default To the Triumph Posse...North West Chapter

Anyone got a Street Triple in the North West (I'm in Bolton) who would be kind enough to let me try their clocks on my bike?

I've been having issues with the clocks dying, and managed to sort it last time but they may be gone for good now. I've gone through the wiring and had an auto electrician do the same, which hasn't thrown up anything.

Before I get it towed to a dealer for diagnostics I thought I'd see if there are any kind souls who could give me a hand.

Beer tokens can be provided in exchange for an hour of your time.

Bike is a 59 plate, with the 2 button half coloured rev counter: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Triumph-St...oAAOSwiO9Xipkb

Cheers

Ste
BoltonSte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-17, 12:13 PM   #2
Bibio
Mega Poster

Default Re: To the Triumph Posse...North West Chapter

is it just the clocks or the whole bike that is cutting out?

i know carelescucca had problems with the battery terminal bolts coming loose all the time on his, were talking within days sometimes.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-17, 06:49 PM   #3
BoltonSte
Mega Poster

Hi Bib, it's the clocks, no dash (LCD) which cuts the fuel pump as well. This happened around Christmas, the usual suspect is a block connector near the headstock. I took it apart, cleaned and greased it and everything was fine.

I rode the bike a couple of weeks ago in the rain, parked it up, went back to it the other day and the clocks were dead again: indicators work with/without alarm (I've since taken this off - plug and play) lights work, horn works. I've stripped/cleaned the same connectors (I thought the spray terminal protector may not have been good enough) and nothing worked. I had a local auto electrician come out and he couldn't find any issues with the wiring - no broken wires, power is going up to the clocks. I called him after I posted this and there may be some heat damage inside the clocks, but it could just be a manufacturing mark. If there is a way of getting power to the clocks off the bike, I could try that and see if they light up at least. The dealer is talking about diagnostic time (hence I'm on the scrounge to cut that down) then new (£800) or second hand clocks.
Old 18-07-17, 07:01 PM   #4
Bibio
Mega Poster

one thing to check (if there is one) is the fuse. sometimes these get work hardened or the tabs fur up.

something else to try is taking the clocks off sticking it in a cloth bag and placing it in a box with kitty litter or wrap it in a nappy/sanitary towels overnight. this will draw out any moisture if there is any.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-17, 10:45 PM   #5
BoltonSte
Mega Poster

There's only the normal fuses iirc, these I've checked, but I may as well switch them all out anyway incase one is ropey. I'll check inside the clocks.

I may as well try the nappy job and see if that makes a difference.

I now have a mate, who's bringing an OBD lead round see if that tells me anything.