SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 26-06-17, 10:34 PM   #1
Bibio
Mega Poster

Default Degreaser

big thumbs up for Screwfix no nonsense degreaser. its best stuff i have used by far and that includes paraffin. i'm very impressed. unlike paraffin you can wash this stuff off with just water and the grime just disappears.

i used it neat then tried 50/50 mix with water and the 50/50 was just as good. i used a pup spray bottle to mist in on then a paint brush and hosed it off, grime gone

ok so i would not go using it every wash but to get rid of the build up of crud once in a while would be perfect.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-17, 10:50 PM   #2
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

Default Re: Degreaser

Screwfix do some great stuff at good prices.I use GT85 chain lube as a de-greaser/cleaner with the added advantage is lubes the job as it cleans
Old 26-06-17, 11:03 PM   #3
Bibio
Mega Poster

i have a rag (micro cloth) that has ACF-50 on it that i use to go over plastics and other black stuff like wheels etc.etc afterwords, works a treat. i used to use backtoblack gel but the ACF is just as good.
Old 26-06-17, 11:09 PM   #4
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

Acf50 rocks.I work in the Aircraft industry and sometimes I can get a can for free from the stores
Old 26-06-17, 11:14 PM   #5
Bibio
Mega Poster

it sure does and it goes a looooong way. i told one of the mates to carefully go over bits on his bike when he was laying it up over winter and what did he do... yup sprayed a whole can everywhere then complained that his bike was smoking like a good one at the start of the season. 'it took me ages to was it off' was his reply.. go figure.
Old 26-06-17, 11:22 PM   #6
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

Heh Heh.Spay on the rag,not the bike
Smells nice as well.
Old 27-06-17, 08:10 AM   #7
Craig380
Mega Poster

ACF is fantastic stuff, I used it primarily to protect the chrome on my old GT380, most of which was the original factory finish and therefore already a little pitted and rust-prone.

I used to paint it on the mudguards, wheel rims and all the other chrome bits in October, then left it on without disturbing it until April, while continuing to ride on the salt/grit-strewn roads. It looked horrible after a couple of weeks with all the muck on it, but a quick Gunk off, wash and dry in April and you'd think I'd been keeping the bike in the living room the whole winter. Even the pitted sections of the chrome showed zero rust creep.

It's great for freeing off rusty nuts etc too. If you use a paint brush and rag to apply it, a can lasts years.
Craig380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-17, 09:42 AM   #8
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

One of the first things I did when I got my Curvy this year was to pull apart every electrical connector and clean with Isopropanol Switch cleaner(Maplins or Servisol) and once it's evaporated treat the connector pins/sockets with ACF50 and also where the cables go into the plugs.

I also did all my bulb holders including the ones in the Headlight nacelle.
I also spray some from time-to-time down the ignition barrel and the Rear seat lock.

I've been doing this for years on motorcycles and have never had an electrical breakdown since using ACF50 that was not my own fault.

Do this every couple or three years and you can prevent roadside breakdowns over 90% of which are electrical and not mechanical breakdowns.

I also use to to preserve the coolant hoses and my rubber coated brake lines and used it on the Steel braided ones on my other Motorcycles.

I also use it on a rag to wipe the whole bike and then dry off with a clean rag.Obviously keep it away from brake pads and disks.It seems to stop fading on the paint as well
Old 27-06-17, 10:04 AM   #9
Craig380
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1ffR4ff View Post
One of the first things I did when I got my Curvy this year was to pull apart every electrical connector and clean with Isopropanol Switch cleaner(Maplins or Servisol) and once it's evaporated treat the connector pins/sockets with ACF50 and also where the cables go into the plugs.

I also did all my bulb holders including the ones in the Headlight nacelle.
I also spray some from time-to-time down the ignition barrel and the Rear seat lock.

I've been doing this for years on motorcycles and have never had an electrical breakdown since using ACF50 that was not my own fault.
Yep, I do this too with the connectors & earth points that I can get at. I haven't managed to get to the 'green connector' yet though, because I can't be bothered removing the airbox to get at it ...
Craig380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-17, 10:17 AM   #10
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig380 View Post
Yep, I do this too with the connectors & earth points that I can get at. I haven't managed to get to the 'green connector' yet though, because I can't be bothered removing the airbox to get at it ...
Make the effort when you can as that one had some corrosion on the pins when I did mine Just a breakdown waiting to happen

PS
A bit of ACF50 inside the Air-box tubes makes them go back on easy