SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 08-05-09, 10:59 AM   #1
sv182

Default Buying a 916

Hey all! Hope everyone is well.

Its no secret that I have always wanted a Ducati 916. Have done since they were launched and I was merely knee high to a grass hopper.

Instead of buying one that is in mint condition (as they rightly should be) I was hoping to perhaps find on that needs some TLC to get it back to where it belongs; the roads. It would also serve as a great project for me as well as a learning experience.

I've had a look around at the usual places like biketrader and eBay but so far I have found nothing. I have also looked at some of the 'damaged repairable' websites and again, nothing.

So, am I looking for something that can more or less not be found? I am happy to travel a bit to get what I want but within reason. I am based in NW Kent.

If anyone has any suggestions or tips then I would love to hear them!

Oh, and the SV will not be going anywhere for the foreseeable future so I am not leaving the wonderful world of the SV crew just yet. When I do, I hope that you will still have me.

All the best
Old 08-05-09, 11:00 AM   #2
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

Default Re: Buying a 916

if you havent have a look on here

www.ducatisti.co.uk

You might find something in the for sale section on there and there will be loads of advice about what your getting into.

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-09, 11:02 AM   #3
sv182

Nice one fizz!! Looking now. Many thanks.
Old 08-05-09, 11:02 AM   #4
ThEGr33k

Id not get one Dmg'd, the cost of parts would be pretty crippling!

You can get 916's in decent condition now for cheap. Well like £3000-£4000.
Old 08-05-09, 11:04 AM   #5
sv182

I here what you are saying ThEGr33k, but I'm not going to dive in at the deep end so to speak. A lot would hinge on exactly the damage was.

£3000-£4000 is about what I have seen as well, but they have all been well over 150 miles away from me as the crow flies.
Old 08-05-09, 11:06 AM   #6
ThEGr33k

Ahhh. Just dont rush, can take time to find the right bike. Im sure somthing will come along
Old 08-05-09, 11:07 AM   #7
sv182

Aye, certainly no rush. Been looking since just before Christmas and have not even come across one that I have even gone to look at.

Santa, if you are listening........ lol
Old 08-05-09, 11:26 AM   #8
Paws

Try this guy: http://www.cooperbmotorcycles.co.uk/...coop-stock.htm

Local dealer to me, he usually has/can get ducatis in stock, if hes not got anything in, drop him a email, hes a top guy and will keep an eye out for one for you
Old 08-05-09, 11:33 AM   #9
SantaClaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by sv182 View Post
Santa, if you are listening........ lol
lalalala *fingers in ears*
Old 08-05-09, 11:41 AM   #10
Mr Speirs
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by sv182 View Post
Instead of buying one that is in mint condition (as they rightly should be) I was hoping to perhaps find on that needs some TLC to get it back to where it belongs; the roads. It would also serve as a great project for me as well as a learning experience.
With all due respect seriously consider what you are saying here.

A Ducati which has not been looked after will invariably have no service historythis can lead to a massive long host of issues as Ducatis are highly tuned delicate machines that need care and attention.

One that hasn't been looked after will cost you the earth to put back to its former glory. I major service you would be looking at £600 and that's assuming nothing needs repairing. Rockers are the most delicate things inside a Ducati engine and getting one that hasn't been looked after would almost certainly need some of these replacing. At £120 per rocker and there being 16 inside the engine it becomes expensive. Belts would need doing about £150. Then there is the chain and sprockets, I believe you need the sprocket carrier with the 916 too.

So as you can see there is alot going against you when decide buy a 916 that way.

I would recommend spending more on an absolutely mint 916 as it would represent much better value for money as you know it has been looked after.

What Im trying to get at here is that a FSH is a must on any Ducati and ones that has been neglected need the money that the previous owner should have spent on it, only it'll be your money.

PeteVTwin knows ALOT more than me about the 916/996 series and im sure he'll be a long to add more words of advice.
Smokey Black Burnty 02 - Racetech Smoulderlators + .90kg BBQ Springs, zx10r shockingly toasted, Conti Road Attacks heat up very nicely, R&G Crash Bungs but what f**king use are they, No Colour Matched Hugger, Flame Extenda, Beowulf Titainium Oval Flame Thrower.
Mr Speirs is offline   Reply With Quote