SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 25-05-13, 09:56 AM   #1
Foamer

Default Ignition fuse blowing - Curvy.

The sun is up and I have no ignition, the 10A ignition fuse has blown. the other day at work, started bike as normal, rode 20 meters or so then CUT OUT.
All electrics on but no power at starter switch.
Break down guy arrived and found 10A ignition fuse blown, put his instruments on and said ystem pulling high amps indicating a short somewhere.
Clutch switch fine so if I'm right, that leaves damage to the loom wiring somewhere, kill switch, side stand, ignition barrel.

When he tested across the fuse connector, he commented on the side stand relay next to the fuse box being hot.

Has anyone had this problem and changed this relay cos its the easiest thing to get at and change.

Much appreciated
Mike
Old 25-05-13, 10:20 AM   #2
rictus01
Mega Poster

Default Re: Ignition

have you checked the normal wear points on the loom, known issue, do a search, plenty of posts on it.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride!
rictus01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-13, 10:36 AM   #3
Foamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rictus01 View Post
have you checked the normal wear points on the loom, known issue, do a search, plenty of posts on it.
Thanks for the reply Rictus
Whats best to search, can you direct ?
Old 25-05-13, 10:41 AM   #4
rictus01
Mega Poster

search (top menu bar)/ advanced search (in the box)/ keyword "loom"/ seach button at the bottom.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride!
rictus01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-13, 11:04 AM   #5
wideguy

It's not too difficult to test relays. You can do it with an ohmeter, or you can simply apply twelve volts to the relay and see if it closes.
If you simply remove the turnsignal/side stand relay from the circuit and install a jumper wire, everything should work just fine. If it blows another fuse when you jumper across it, there's a short somewhere else in the circuit.
Old 25-05-13, 11:19 AM   #6
Foamer

I just jumped out terminals D and E and fuse blew when ignition turned on.
I referenced the terminals on page 20 of the manual (electrical system) do you think I did it correctly ?
Old 25-05-13, 02:57 PM   #7
Foamer

Bike now working
Tested side stand relay with 12v supply and all ok, rear bodywork off and a nasty rub on loom from subframe, nearside rear.
1 wire taped up, loom re-taped and eased off tight corner.
New 10A fuse in and BINGO, test ridden round the block then down M6 and back, no probs.
Thanks again to all who replied and thanks to Pete from SOS motorcycle recovery who brought me home the other night.
Mike