SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 28-11-08, 10:15 PM   #1
Saralou313

Default Opinions please...

Just after some opinions...

I am 10 weeks pregnant and me and my husband are made up about it. Everyone at work, and in the family (but not my hubby), seem to think that that's it now, I can't get on the bike until the babys born. Is this just ignorance on their part not having ridden, or me being irresponsible?

I haven't ridden for a few weeks, partly cos the bike needs some work, but also it's not that easy getting off the bike and taking your lid off to deal with morning sickness!

What do you think?
Old 28-11-08, 10:23 PM   #2
Dangerous Dave

Default Re: Opinions please...

Congratulations, stay off the bike though love as you have a little more to worry about than before.
Old 28-11-08, 10:24 PM   #3
lily

First off congulations!!!!!

At the end of the day it is your choice, its a form of transport like a car is (people don't stop driving!!!)

Can understand your passion for the bike, can also understand people's concern for you and the baby.

At the end of the day i think you need to do what feels right for you! If you feel you want to ride for a few more months ride until you can no longer fit in your bike gear due to a large bumb.

Hope you make the right decision for you

Lily x
Old 28-11-08, 10:26 PM   #4
Mr Speirs
Mega Poster

Up to you really. You do have a little more to worry about but you always will from now on. Does that mean you shouldn't ever ride a bike again?
Smokey Black Burnty 02 - Racetech Smoulderlators + .90kg BBQ Springs, zx10r shockingly toasted, Conti Road Attacks heat up very nicely, R&G Crash Bungs but what f**king use are they, No Colour Matched Hugger, Flame Extenda, Beowulf Titainium Oval Flame Thrower.
Mr Speirs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-08, 10:26 PM   #5
FG1

I was out for a short bimble into town a couple of weeks ago and as it was just down the road I thought I would just wear my jeans. Still wore the jacket and boots but settled with jeans.
Then, out of nowhere I must have fooked up because I ended up highsiding.
Now, I don't want to preach but accidents can happen at anytime and anywhere.
Personally, I would prefer it if my wife would leave the bike out of the equation for a while until after the birth.
At the end of the day, it's your decision but if you need to ask then it shows there is an element of doubt in your head.
Go down the "better to be safe than sorry" route.

Congratulations by the way.
Old 28-11-08, 10:26 PM   #6
Foxy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous Dave View Post
Congratulations, stay off the bike though love as you have a little more to worry about than before.
+1 , wait until you have had the baby but that is your decision. As Lily says, hope you make the right choice for you and your bump. Congratulations
Old 28-11-08, 10:30 PM   #7
Shellywoozle
Mega Poster

+1 as Lily says.

I personally would give biking up if I had a child on the way or a dependant but that is just because I have had an accident where I thought I had fractured my spine. I have also seen lots of fatal bike accidents through work and am a morbid soul.

You know what is best for you and your body/baby and your hubby and family should respect you in your decision. Of course they will worry but bet they did before the bump. Whatever you do take care xx

Oh and a big CONGRATULATIONS too !! Woo hoo Mummy Saralou
Black K4 Pointy named Zuky, OEM belly pan, OEM hugger, OEM cowl, R&G bungs, akrapovic system, tinted double bubble Fabbri screen, tail tidy, scottoiler, alarm, datatagged, lowered seat for short ass rider named Shell.

RIP PC David Rathband sad day 29/2/2012
Shellywoozle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-08, 10:34 PM   #8
tanis34

congratulations , i must admit i would worry about the missus being on the bike but its your choice
Old 28-11-08, 10:55 PM   #9
Saralou313

Thanks guys, it has really helped. I'm wondering if the main reason I'm so unsure is because I didn't get one last proper ride (the bike needed the work before I found out I was pregnant, I was rather embarrassed when the garage pointed out just how bad the bike was, needs new pads, chain and sprockets, rattly noise which I think is the cam chain tensioner needs sorting too, and a good service).

I will have to ride it to my nans to tuck him up in the garage, so I guess that will be the last ride, obviously once the works done.

Not bad timing though, baby's due in June so hopefully will be back on the bike for the summer! My hubbys planning on doing his test in the new year so I'm sure he'll keep the bike going for me, if I let him!

Thanks again
Old 28-11-08, 11:21 PM   #10
Ed

Saralou, you're pregnant. Not ill.

Ride your bike as long as you feel physically comfortable doing it. Why stop now? Are you stopping doing anything else that might be considered remotely risky?

I don't believe that pregnancy = wrap up in cotton wool.