SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 10-11-13, 10:19 PM   #31
G
Mega Poster

Default Re: Engineering career/general life advice...

Quote:
Originally Posted by timwilky View Post
Chris

I know we are looking for Mechanical Engineers. But i am afraid in Bristol. Ansys, Pro-E, Tidal Bladed, Fluidity etc.

It is a business that is only a few years old so nobody has decades of experience to compete with. Tidal Turbine Generators, we think it will be growth market and currently have a 1MW research turbine in the water. and need to move from research into industrialisation, development and production.
Definitely good to pick an up and coming industry. Most renewable businesses are up and coming and a good bet. Limited people have experience, and you can progress quickly.

Will just depend on whether you want on the tools in the field, or in the office designing / managing.

I manage a team of 20+ field based people, not one of them earn less than £70k, some of them have bugger all in terms of professional qualifications.

I'd suggest looking at either wind or tidal. Wind has been around for some time and will be tougher to get into, depending on what decisions the government make in December could mean a **** load more work until 2025. The company I work for has just started investing heavily in tidal technology recently, and they have never been wrong in 100+ years of business decisions.
Old 11-11-13, 09:25 AM   #32
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Tim, G, how would you rate my chances in such a field given that my experience isn't in software based design and CFD?

I'd love to work with tidal power for no reason other than I'd like to move near the sea!
Old 11-11-13, 09:57 AM   #33
Owenski

I think we graduated the same year if not a year apart and its amazing how all the way up to getting the degree everyone insists you need it to "open doors" and "better yourself" then when you get it you get a distinct feeling of all those doors slamming shut and those able to put you in a position to better yourself turn their back.

No one ever feels they're paid enough, I'm learning that now. Even the ridiculously overpaid think they deserve more. Just reading the above I've not noticed anyone discuss the short time you're working. Assuming you're company works a typical 40hr week then the annual salary for that position would be around £21k based on what you wrote.
Because you work 20% less than that by missing a day it takes you to around 17k before tax deductions. From an employers perspective you cant judge your role on a 17k salary, as its actually a 21k position now I don't know what a salary for someone in your field should be but its worth considering the above before marching in to the gaffer and whacking your testis on the desk.

If you're doing a job which could/should be earning 30-40k then by all means leave, they may be lovely people but don't think for a second that if times were hard for them they wouldn't cut you loose to better themselves, quite simply they would.
You've listened to me and bert **** and moan about our jobs many times over we're both underpaid but both have reasonable packages which offset the miserable salary. Namely we had uni fee's paid, were permitted 39days off work a year to attend uni and still made a salary ontop of that.
Not to say you're blinkered but make sure you're eyes are open the the full package and not just the take home.

Failing that if you want to earn a large salary whilst in addition getting 65 week days plus weekends a year as leave then turn to teaching... I'm seriously considering it starting a School Direct Training in Maths/Physics as that'll pay me £15k during the year it requires to train.

http://www.education.gov.uk/get-into...aduate-funding
Old 11-11-13, 10:47 AM   #34
Specialone

Even based on a 40 hour week, even knuckle dragger fitters (which I know Chris ain't) earn £12-£15 an hour before tax, £10 an hour is **** poor for an engineering role.
I suspect Chris could sign on with an agency and command more than that quite easily.

Bloody aldi pay their till ops around £8.50 per hour, something wrong there don't you think? (fair play to aldi, not knocking them btw)
Old 11-11-13, 04:41 PM   #35
ClunkintheUK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owenski View Post
I think we graduated the same year if not a year apart and its amazing how all the way up to getting the degree everyone insists you need it to "open doors" and "better yourself" then when you get it you get a distinct feeling of all those doors slamming shut and those able to put you in a position to better yourself turn their back.
Exactly my experience too. I graduated 6 1/2 years ago. Has also been mentioned in many other places too. Everyone wants experience.
Old 11-11-13, 05:09 PM   #36
Berlin

I apolgise for not having red the whole thread, its a busy morning.

Chris (et al) I found that everything you do up to the age of 27-29 is for fun. Everyone I know landed in their ideal situation between these ages. This is when you'll drop into what you're supposed to be doing. So until then, have fun. Use this time to get yourself into a position so that something exciting will present itself when you're about 28.

If you get to 30 and you're still not having fun or doing something to stir your juices... you're doing it wrong and should IMMEDIATELY change course to do what you want to.

Think of it this way. If you won the Lottery and had a couple of million in the bank and didn't have to work. What would you choose to do to keep yourself busy? What job would make you blissfully happy if you weren't working for the money?

And then ask the question, why aren't I doing that job now?

You are only limited by your own imagination and the amount you actually want it. So want it 100% and it'll happen.

Go and do it...

C
Old 11-11-13, 08:13 PM   #37
thefallenangel

The guy who taught me as an apprentice has now taken a staff job on 30k a year but he's 40. Been sat around doing not a lot and realised he had to get on but enjoyed the good money on the tools. Now the money is going he's jumped ship so look around.
Old 11-11-13, 08:34 PM   #38
barwel1992

as you know Chris im also in the industry

im 21, have no degree, no official CNC training just what i have taught my self, no real engineering qualifications, self taught on Solidworks, the only thing i do have is some CAM training

i do designs, program and run 2 VMC's, i do a fairly good job for the experience that i have (although as you have seen some of my stuff your better qualified to comment on that)

work 9 till 5 with half hour lunch, and i take home around £7.5h after tax so £17000 a year before tax im on a salary but never work past 5...

i have been looking at jobs and i'd say with your experience in my neck of the woods you could be on between 25-40K a year easily

from your brief description of where you work, sinking ship comes to mind

Last edited by barwel1992; 11-11-13 at 08:42 PM.
Old 11-11-13, 08:43 PM   #39
Ruffy

YC,

I work at National Grid and we are frequently looking for good technical staff and currently have a few opportunities knocking around. It'd be worth checking out our technical training programme either to give some serious consideration (not necessarily too late yet at 25!) or just to help you calibrate your expectations/aspirations. Compare with the graduate programme too, although that's less vocational/hands-on and more general business focussed (think CEng rather than IEng initially). A lot of our upcoming work is associated with connection of new generation, including offshore wind and new nuclear, so lots of potential for coastal proximity!

Hope that doesn't sound like a sales pitch - I am an Engineer by background (Leeds grad too, but next door from Elec Eng). Just wanted to give you something to consider and compare against - big corporate context if you like. Life in a big organisation isn't perfect but it can be a great development and foundation environment. Happy to bounce some PMs for further advice if it helps.

Alternatively, what are the odds of you being able to take over your current company in a few years and keep it going when the "old guard" retires, assuming they won't just wind it up and leave you all in the lurch. MD of a technical niche SME at 30 isn't a bad career ambition and would possibly tip the balance of your remuneration significantly in the above average direction!
Ruffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-13, 09:06 PM   #40
G
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkie_chris View Post
Tim, G, how would you rate my chances in such a field given that my experience isn't in software based design and CFD?

I'd love to work with tidal power for no reason other than I'd like to move near the sea!
I can only speak from a wind perspective, and based on the information you have provided so far... But I'd have thought with the right cv and a good attitude at an interview you could easily walk into an offshore technician role doing either commissioning, or mechanical and electrical completion work. This could lead to level 7 or installation lead type management role. Would be 2 on 2 off rotations anywhere in the world though.

If tht interests you I could give you more details.