SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 02-10-19, 03:32 AM   #11
yokohama

Default Re: Which New Boiler?

For what it's worth, we've had a Weissman Vitodens for the past 10 years, serviced regularly (which is needed to keep up the 5 year warranty) and it's been no trouble and is still going strong. Plenty of hot water and it heats 9 radiators over 3 floors.
The only time an issue arose was when it kept losing pressure and the expansion tank/pressure valve was blowing out. This wasn't due to a fault with the boiler itself but from a bit of debris that had come loose from within the radiator system (despite the powerflush) and had partially blocked a pipe in the boiler. Engineer fixed this and installed a wider diameter pipe so hopefully there'll be no recurrence.
yokohama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-19, 07:50 PM   #12
SV650rules
Mega Poster

We have had a Vaillant ecomax condensing natural gas system boiler with 14 rads and unvented DHW tank for 22 years now, no real problems, not serviced at all except by me, just a decent level of Fernox in the system will be the only maintenance needed. It had new pump about 10 years ago, does not have a fancy magnetic filter and has never had a powerflush. I worked out an early age that for every £1 you have in your pocket there are hundreds of people trying to get it off you by fair means or foul, and central heating companies tradesmen are some of the worst. If you have a house don't be frightened to find out how things work and learn to fix stuff, normally the parts cost a small proportion of the bill you end up with by getting 'experts' LOL, to fix things. Modern boilers do the fault finding for you anyway, put up error codes on their display, the vaillant diagnostic display is brilliant.

A lot of mumbo jumbo from the experts about boilers, but they are just a flame and a pump at the end of the day....

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Last edited by SV650rules; 03-10-19 at 07:51 PM.
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-19, 08:00 PM   #13
dirtydog
Knob faced knobster
Mega Poster

That's a bit of a generalising statement and imo uncalled for. Yes there are plenty of heating/gas engineers that would sell their own granny but then there are people like that in every walk of life, dodgy garages, dodgy builders etc.

It sounds like you begrudge a tradesman earning a living? In regards to heating/boiler guys they do have overheads that they need to cover, annual gas safe fees, van running costs, public liability insurance etc etc

And as for the don't be afraid to have a go, madness! Yeah it's not like anything could possibly go wrong with messing with your boiler after watching a YouTube video or something

Last edited by dirtydog; 03-10-19 at 08:01 PM.
dirtydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-19, 09:27 PM   #14
SV650rules
Mega Poster

If you can fix a motorbike or car, why not a boiler ? Modern cars and bikes are much more complex than boilers, and if you fix your bike or car badly it can kill you.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
Old 04-10-19, 11:52 AM   #15
BoltonSte
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV650rules View Post
If you can fix a motorbike or car, why not a boiler ? .

That made me smile, like the Navy advert, if you can fix a skateboard, you can fix a destroyer.
Not being derogatory, just links in my head when anyone says that and makes me smile. I get where you are coming from in most cases I'll learn what's what and have a go.

In this case it's not that much of an option as the placing is erm challenging.

Thanks for all the replies, I'm just waiting on another couple of quotes, it's worrying how much knowledge (I guess experience) differs with the HE's who have come out.

Most have been, yup, can do that no problem, but you are limited to certain models because of the flue length.

The one last night "you are going to die, it's illegally done like this (it's been in 20 years and we've been there 13), how are the others saying they can do that? can it not go in another room?
Only for one to say to the other whose business it is (within earshot) we'll ask Y he's been doing this longer that you.
If you want to tank this cellar we used to be plasters.
Knock on the door within 10 minutes: I've just checked and apparently you can get a thing called a condensate pump that will handle the condensate and relief and get it into that big sump you have for the washing machine (I'd already mentioned this several times)
I know everyone starts somewhere, if it's not a job you can comfortably do, say so. Guess what, it's what I/our company does.
To me, to you, think I'll give these a miss.
BoltonSte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-19, 01:44 PM   #16
Bibio
Mega Poster

pay peanuts.. get monkeys. if any tradesman cant answer a question off the top of their head then they are chancers.. move on to the next one as there are plenty to be had. NEVER EVER give tradesman any money up front EVER, if a tradesman needs money up front then they are not running their business properly. if someone feels dodgy then they usually are. trust your instincts.

having said that not all tradesmen are dodgy and most are actually honest.

dont fek with gas boilers... they can be silent killers.. get a professional.

cant recommend Ideal boilers, noisy as fek. they are always on offer at the local trade centres. that tells you something.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-19, 07:59 PM   #17
johnnyrod
Mega Poster

Ours has a built-in condensate pump, it automatically pumps out when the float switch is lifted, and it can lift something like 3m or more. It's not Bosch, it's a subbed part used by them, so yes you can have a drain higher than the boiler. For this reason it has a check valve which has been a bit crap, but that's by the by. We also had a mare locating our boiler due to chimneys, boundaries etc. so we ended up with a floor-standing one which vents up the chimney. It has a vent duct that goes up to a terminus that replaces the chimney pot, and the space left over in the chimney draws the fresh air back down, it's a massive balanced flue.

Heating is not that straightforward, despite the fact there are a lot of monkeys out there selling their services. Also if you want efficiency, it needs a bit of work.
johnnyrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-19, 08:25 PM   #18
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Talking about efficiency, condensing boilers not much more efficient than older boilers unless they are allowed to condense, and to condense the return flow needs to be less than 55degC ( and really the cooler the better ) which means flow of about 65degC - just about enough to heat hot water to safe ( legionella free temperature ) - boilers in last few years have the ability to have a different flow temperature for heating and hot water which means you can set the flow to 70 for DHW and as cool as you like for central heating ( but to run cooler and transfer same amount of heat the radiators need to be oversized ) - efficiencies of over 95% achievable by running larger radiators ( or underfloor heating ) at lower temps.

If your radiators are too hot to hold your hand on them comfortably then you are wasting the biggest efficiency gain you can get from a condensing boiler - ie it is not condensing and recovering waste heat from burnt gasses.

To get best efficiency you do need fancy controls that monitor ambient temperature and modulate boiler temperature to suit, there are lots of very clever controls but you have to bear the payback period in mind, are they too expensive and will you ever get the money back in saved gas usage.