SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 30-03-23, 12:33 PM   #1
Peewee114

Default Spark plus

Hi I have an 08 k8 sv. I want to change the spark to iridium. How many would I need 2 or 4 as I heard somewhere that some models have 2 plugs per cylinder. Thanks in advance for your reply
Peewee114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-23, 11:40 AM   #2
NedSVS

Default Re: Spark plus

Looks like you need 4 plugs to me, going by the parts fiche:

https://www.fowlersparts.co.uk/parts...r-head-k8---l0
NedSVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-23, 12:14 PM   #3
Ruffy

From memory, I think K6 was the last of the two-plug head, so yours is most probably a four plug head.

But isn't the easiest way to find out for sure to take a look at the top of your engine and count the plug leads.

Sorry for this sounding a bit facetious but if you can't find 'em to count 'em with the bike in front of you then you might be better off paying someone else to change them.

BTW, why do you want to change to iridium specifically? 'Normal' types should also work fine. Are you having running trouble?
Ruffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-23, 03:43 PM   #4
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruffy View Post
But isn't the easiest way to find out for sure to take a look at the top of your engine and count the plug leads.

Yeah only need to count the ones on front cylinder and X2, I assume they put an equal number in each head

You need to be wary of fake Chinese NGK plugs with mild steel electrodes, Denso also widely faked, so it pays
to buy from a reputable place.

I have fitted Iridium plugs to cars and bikes and happy to leave them in 70,000 miles - the Iridium plug threads
have a special tri-valent coating so that they do not have a tendency to stick to the head material, which
is important when they are in service for a long time, and it works because I had no trouble removing them after
around 70k ( miles ) - considering with normal plugs i was fearful of breaking them after their much shorter useful life was over,

and copious use of penetrating oil, getting the engine hot ( aluminium expands more than steel ) and slowly turning

them back and forth ( quarter turn out, eight turn back ) - spark plug wall is very thin where thread meets main

body, and easily sheared - Oh 5h1t.....

https://youtu.be/vpH4O14EBxA

The plugs for SV650 should be 5Kohm IIRC ( the 'R' in the NGK number is for resistor - but check if your plug caps already have a resistor because 2 resistors kinda foul things up )

Sportsbike shop selling them £15 each, may be cheaper elsewhere ( although that ain't a bad price ), but at least you got the plug number

https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/mot...ent_prod/46521

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Last edited by SV650rules; 26-04-23 at 09:40 AM.
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-23, 02:42 PM   #5
embee
Mega Poster

A bit late, but FWIW ....

... agree about fake plugs around. Iridium etc plugs are fairly pricey items so plenty of scope for the unscrupulous to make dosh on fakes.
I usually use either https://www.gsparkplug.com/ or https://www.sparkplugs.co.uk/ depending on prices, both are very reputable suppliers.
I haven't checked either for your plugs. I'm happy to use either NGK or Denso.