SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Track Days Post up here about trackdays

Old 15-06-11, 10:06 AM   #1
N8te rider

Default California Superbike School locations?

Hi all

wondered if anyone has done the Stowe circuit plus another, like Brands or Silverstone National? Is it a faster pace, better learning curve? Stowe was quite a small bumpy track but did the job

I'd like to do level 2 in August but not sure which track is best
Old 15-06-11, 11:01 AM   #2
metalhead19

Default Re: California Superbike School locations?

Not done a california superbike school event, but I can thoroughly recommend Brands as a circuit. Did a TD there few weeks back and thought it was a great little circuit. What it would be like on a CSS event i cannot say though.
Old 15-06-11, 11:12 AM   #3
Specialone

Would you recommend CSS ?

I've considered doing this a few times but it's a lot of wonga, I've got the Totw DVD and that seems really good.
Old 15-06-11, 11:26 AM   #4
N8te rider

I'd like to do level 2 now. Did level 1 in April and it was THE BEST MONEY IVE EVER SPENT. Felt like I got plugged into the matrix and downloaded superbike training. Never got my knee down, quick flicked/counter steer or had the balls to go flat out round track until I went to CSS. I think the DVD and books are good but don't come close to the real thing. Each lesson is broken down, taught then practiced immediately on track. 2 trackdays later I moved to inters. My biking confidence increased alot! Awesome school. Recommended

Last edited by N8te rider; 15-06-11 at 11:28 AM. Reason: edit
Old 15-06-11, 11:38 AM   #5
johnnyrod
Mega Poster

I did level 2 at the new circuit configuration at Silverstone, trying to rememebr the name, Stadium? For L2, Stowe would be useless. It's all about vision and you need a bit of variation in the scenery to practise it properly. I reckon Rockingham would be good too, not ridden Brands yet so don't know.

CSS works well even though it's expensive. I'm the type who needs the obvious pointing out to me, and as NR says, you just get it afterwards. It starts at what seems to be a noddy level, the very first lesson is throttle control, so half the room reckon they already know it, head out onto the track, and go on to prove they really didn't know it. Countersteering (aka quick turns) is another, about half the room (experienced road riders) swore blind it didn't exist. Anyway I'd say it's worth it, you get about 2-3 people per instructor and they really are good, it's a world away from books/DVDs and trying to figure it out yourself.
johnnyrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-11, 01:01 AM   #6
Balky001
Mega Poster

I'm not sure they do Rockingham anymore which is a shame as great variety but Brands would be my choice.

That said, I'm not a massive fan of CSS so I'd do another 2 day Motorrad course on Nurburgring!
http://www.aeaventures.com/
Old 19-06-11, 10:23 AM   #7
Nobbylad
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by specialone View Post
Would you recommend CSS ?

I've considered doing this a few times but it's a lot of wonga, got the Totw DVD and that seems really good.
I seem to remember you were going to send me a copy
Nobbylad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-11, 10:30 AM   #8
Specialone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobbylad View Post
I seem to remember you were going to send me a copy
Nobby sorry mate I completely forgot, as normal, memory like a tea strainer

In my defence, my laptop had to be wiped and o didn't have a back up of the DVD software and for the life of I can't remember what it was.

If anybody has any recommendations to what DVD copying /back up software to use, that would be great.
Old 19-06-11, 11:50 AM   #9
nakedblue650

Recently did L1&2 on the South circuit so can offer an opinion!
Quote:
but I can thoroughly recommend Brands as a circuit
Done Brands Indy twice and GP once, Indy I would only go back if it was cheap enough, GP if reasonably priced. Convinient to get to Brands but Siverstone makes it look like a park circuit.
Quote:
I think the DVD and books are good but don't come close to the real thing
ToTW2 DVD is essentially an advert for CSS and the book and, as stated, don't come close to the real thing. The book is good if you understand the basics from CSS.

CSS is immense if you can commit the time and money and have the sense to follow the drills. It WILL improve your riding, understanding of riding, cornering ability and confidence. On my days there there was a guy from BSB Superstocks and he openly fessed to having been doing it wrong!

Would I recommend it? Booked Level 3 for August already...........

HTH

nb650

p.s. if you wish to save an hour or so of your life don't bother with ToTW2 DVD - not much to see, go and do!

Last edited by nakedblue650; 19-06-11 at 11:51 AM.
Old 19-06-11, 07:20 PM   #10
Balky001
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakedblue650 View Post
On my days there there was a guy from BSB Superstocks and he openly fessed to having been doing it wrong!
I had Tom Luthi on my day ragging an R6 around Rockingham - he's just moved up to 250 after winning 125 GP title. Without a doubt there are a lot of professional riders who are CSS believers and I agree everyone would benefit from going on the course. I think my intructor was a bit duff when I did L1 and I don't agree with one or two elements but it was mostly wworthwhile. However, doing the Ring for 2 days on a closed track puts everything you've ever learnt together then improves it

Brands is a great track and technical, but suffers from only having one decent left on the Indy. GP is awesome.