SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 07-01-05, 08:27 PM   #1
Cloggsy

Default Forks & Rear shock info from Maxton Engineering

I got this info sheet from Maxton engineering after making an enquiry about fork springs (to have my front end 'Elmered' )

Thought the info might be interesting/of use to some of you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard - Maxton Engineering (info@maxton.demon.co.uk)
SUZUKI SV650

FRONT The forks are a non adjustable type of fork and also very soft, they dive alot under braking and bottom out very easily, the SV650 has one of the softest front ends we have ever pushed bescause it is so underdamped and undersprung. We revalve and respring the forks taking into account the rider's weight and what he is using the bike for. The cost of the conversion is £225 plus VAT. Seals are £20 plus VAT for the pair and Bushes if required are £20 plus VAT. We also supply a cartridge conversion, this involves replacing the original damper rod damping system with a modern cartridge system. The cartridge has pistons, shims and needle jets inside which is a modern way of metering the oil to give damping. The cartridge conversion also includes new fork tops with preload and rebound damping adjusters. This conversion makes the forks work like an GSXR600 fork yet it is spring and valved for the SV650, the riders weight and what they use the bike for. The cartridge conversion costs £340.00 plus V.A.T plus seals and bushes if required.

REAR The rear shock is a fairley cheap unit but is O.K for what most people use the bike for. The spring on it is on the hard side and the the unit also has alot of damping inside it making it kick off bumps, this makes the front feel softer than it actually is. We have tried fitting a softer spring to the unit but it only makes the bike handle worse, as you end up riding on the damping. We supply a Maxton replacement unit which is a fully adjustable, alloy bodied, high pressure gas unit that adjusts via shim stack system, it has a spring to suit your rider weight and to suit what type of riding you do. The unit costs £405.00 but we also make a remote reservoir unit that has a second compression adjuster which costs £480.00. ALL PRICES EXCLUDE V.A.T.

Fortunately, the springs (only) for what I need are £55 + VAT
Old 07-01-05, 08:53 PM   #2
BaggaZee

So, including VAT they reckon people will pay over 20% of the cost of the bike (front&back)?!

Not me. £55 sounds a bit more real-world.
Old 07-01-05, 09:43 PM   #3
northwind
Mega Poster

Racers will if they think it'll put them in first... The front fork work seems a good price for what they're doing, full cartrige parts for not much more than emulators... One for the people who want good front forks but don't want to muck about witha fork swap, which is nice.
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-05, 11:37 PM   #4
BaggaZee

OK, would you mind explaining what a full cartridge system is? (Clueless ). I presume that this is really only of use to people setting up everything differently for different tracks, is this the case?
From what I've seen, new springs and/or oil will generally do it for most people (on the to-do list). Is this so?

What have you done to your front-end?
Old 07-01-05, 11:43 PM   #5
Cloggsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaggaZee
What have you done to your front-end?
I haven't done anything yet... I'm gonna get my front end sorted though...

The never-ending to do list grows further
Old 08-01-05, 12:01 AM   #6
BaggaZee

Ditto. Really must stiffen everything up though, it's all still as stock & I'm 14 & a bit st.
Old 08-01-05, 12:27 AM   #7
Cloggsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaggaZee
I'm 14 & a bit st.
Don't worry mate, I'm 18 stone +
Old 08-01-05, 01:08 AM   #8
Carsick

bloody hell, I'm only 12st and I notice the problems with it. I dread to think what it's like for you guys.
Old 08-01-05, 10:55 AM   #9
Baldyman

Bloody hell Cloggsy, I'm 14 stone and my fronts are screwed right down and I'd still like them stiffer
Old 08-01-05, 12:00 PM   #10
Cloggsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldyman
Bloody hell Cloggsy, I'm 14 stone and my fronts are screwed right down and I'd still like them stiffer
I'm working on it My goal weight is 14 ½ stone

BTW, mine are screwed right in too