SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

View Poll Results: Is she right?
Yes, they should be banned, so should hats, beards etc 17 38.64%
No, what a load of crap 18 40.91%
Typical BBC... 9 20.45%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Old 13-05-05, 12:20 PM   #41
Flamin_Squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob S (Yella)
Have you ever been in a market when a gang of youths Hood up and crowed around a stall and start blatantly nicking and threatening anybody who interferes with a kickin.

I have.

My dad is a Market trader and is only ever robbed by hoodies or eastern europeans or eastern european hoodies. And this is regular even though that part of the market has CCTV coverage. They are immune to CCTV because of the hoods. Thats why Bluwater is banning them and I have to agree in principle. Thats not a total ban but in an indoor or public places and in groups then yes. BAN THEM.
If there's no security to stop them nicking stuff, who's stopping the hoodies going there in the first place though?

Just another example of a ban that would only restrict the rights of the law abiding but doing nothing to help cure the problem at hand.
Old 13-05-05, 12:22 PM   #42
Balky001
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamin_Squirrel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob S (Yella)
Have you ever been in a market when a gang of youths Hood up and crowed around a stall and start blatantly nicking and threatening anybody who interferes with a kickin.

I have.

My dad is a Market trader and is only ever robbed by hoodies or eastern europeans or eastern european hoodies. And this is regular even though that part of the market has CCTV coverage. They are immune to CCTV because of the hoods. Thats why Bluwater is banning them and I have to agree in principle. Thats not a total ban but in an indoor or public places and in groups then yes. BAN THEM.
If there's no security to stop them nicking stuff, who's stopping the hoodies going there in the first place though?

Just another example of a ban that would only restrict the rights of the law abiding but doing nothing to help cure the problem at hand.
That's a good point but look at the furore just banning hoodies has caused. If you advocate shooting them on site (if mis-behaving) I'm sure there would be even stonger feeling
Old 13-05-05, 12:24 PM   #43
Hohbein

even tho i seem to be disagreeing with most people, i think its a good idea to ban hoodies. its not just about the people concealing they're identity, its about making people feel safer in public places. i'm not a tiny guy, but when i see a gang of 30-40 people all wearing hoods it does intimidate me. i'm not saying im scared of them, i'm just cautious because i know they're up to no good. imagine how a 70 year old would feel?

i dont think it'll really make a huge difference however, but its a good start to sorting out the chav problem at the moment. the next step should be 'serious' curfews (how the hell is that spelt). say anyone under the age of 18 needs to be inside before 8pm, anyone seen outside after this time and found to be underage would receive a hefty fine, repeat offenders would face prison sentences.

i cant understand the kids of today, they seem to enjoy standing in the ****ing rain, freezing cold etc doing nothing but stare at people why the hell arent they inside playing they're playstations?! given the option when i was they're age i know what i'd have chosen!

sorry for the rant, but i deteste the youth of today, they're going to be the end of humanity as we know it. just picture these people bringing up children of they're own
Old 13-05-05, 12:33 PM   #44
Balky001
Mega Poster

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balky001
Quote:
Like I said, everyones in favour of restricting the freedoms of people that aren't them.

But as the saying goes, what goes around comes around. I just wish people would see that so it can be stoped
I see where you are coming from but fear of the consequences should not stop you making a decision you believe to be right. In this case, people are being restricted either way.
That's the same ludicrous argument used by the people who brought you the bans on smacking/guns/smoking/fox hunting.
OK Flamin. Not being afraid of consequnces and banning fox hunting - nope, haven't a clue what you are going on about.
Old 13-05-05, 12:35 PM   #45
Flamin_Squirrel

They may intimidate you, but then so might hordes of chavs wearing burberry. You're not intimidated by them because of what they're wearing, you're intimidated because you associate, and maybe quite rightly, what they're wearing with the kind of people they are.

Their clothing isn't really that relevent.

The thuggish chavs chosen atire could be a leatard and tutu for all it matters. If you got assaulted by a chav wearing a skimpy pink gettup every time you saw one, you'd begin to make the associate anyone wearing that with a trouble instead, and you'd be here demanding the banning of balerina lookalikes.

A rediculously over the top example, but I'm sure my point's been illustrated - ban hoodies and they'll just conform to wearing some other peice of iconic clothing and we'll be back where we started.
Old 13-05-05, 12:38 PM   #46
Flamin_Squirrel

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Like I said, everyones in favour of restricting the freedoms of people that aren't them.

But as the saying goes, what goes around comes around. I just wish people would see that so it can be stoped
I see where you are coming from but fear of the consequences should not stop you making a decision you believe to be right. In this case, people are being restricted either way.
That's the same ludicrous argument used by the people who brought you the bans on smacking/guns/smoking/fox hunting.
OK Flamin. Not being afraid of consequnces and banning fox hunting - nope, haven't a clue what you are going on about.
Maybe, but if you're dicussing the lack of dicipline of todays youth, you probably don't think the smaking ban was a good idea. That was brougt in because someone thought it was the 'right' thing to do.
Old 13-05-05, 12:39 PM   #47
Balky001
Mega Poster

Quote:
They may intimidate you, but then so might hordes of chavs wearing burberry. You're not intimidated by them because of what they're wearing, you're intimidated because you associate, and maybe quite rightly, what they're wearing with the kind of people they are.

Their clothing isn't really that relevent.

The thuggish chavs chosen atire could be a leatard and tutu for all it matters. If you got assaulted by a chav wearing a skimpy pink gettup every time you saw one, you'd begin to make the associate anyone wearing that with a trouble instead, and you'd be here demanding the banning of balerina lookalikes.

A rediculously over the top example, but I'm sure my point's been illustrated - ban hoodies and they'll just conform to wearing some other peice of iconic clothing and we'll be back where we started.
Have you seen those male ballet dancers - wouldn't want to meet one of those in a darkened alley late at night! You are right - ban them too
Old 13-05-05, 12:44 PM   #48
Balky001
Mega Poster

The smacking ban is a bad - I'm too much of an authoritarianto do away with smacking - couldn't you tell. Now shut it (JOKE!)
Old 13-05-05, 12:44 PM   #49
riktherider

hoodies are fine if you dont wear the hood up (unless it raining), caps are fine as long as you dont wear them so they point up to the sky, WEAR THEM NORMALLY!!!, ans thats all a load of poppy **** about hats and beards. probably some bald lady getting jealous!!!
Old 13-05-05, 01:04 PM   #50
Captain Nemo

Quote:
They may intimidate you, but then so might hordes of chavs wearing burberry. You're not intimidated by them because of what they're wearing, you're intimidated because you associate, and maybe quite rightly, what they're wearing with the kind of people they are." edit

eidt "ban hoodies and they'll just conform to wearing some other peice of iconic clothing and we'll be back where we started.
yes, but at least you'll be able to see their faces, eye contact and body language are very important, if someone cant look you in the eyes then you feel uncomfortable as if that person is hiding something. if you cant see someones facial expressions this is also a bad sign, a lot of the time the hoodie crew try to look like theyre upto no good, they want us to think that theyre a bit whoo a bit wahey.

so in itself this becomes intimidatory even if theyre really charity worker happy clappers ( no offence if your a charity worker happy clapper)

Bluewater may want to ban hoodies and caps as it interferes with their security system.
a lot of shopping centres use electronic facial recognition to spot known tee leafs, if they cant see your face you cant get a pull.

maybe traders are worried that theyre losing to much stock to unknown thieves