SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 28-12-06, 08:06 PM   #21
Biker Biggles
Mega Poster

"Don't know what the problem is"
Time to revisit Orwell's Big Brother and re watch Enemy of the State.
Like most technology there's nothing inherently wrong with it,and it can do a lot of good,but it's what uses it is put to that is the problem.A high tech tracking system if used solely for road pricing is one thing,but you just know it would never stop there.
Old 28-12-06, 08:34 PM   #22
mysteryjimbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker Biggles
"Don't know what the problem is"
Time to revisit Orwell's Big Brother and re watch Enemy of the State.
Like most technology there's nothing inherently wrong with it,and it can do a lot of good,but it's what uses it is put to that is the problem.A high tech tracking system if used solely for road pricing is one thing,but you just know it would never stop there.
As i said. They can track mobile phones if they so wish. Hence complain about that if you've a problem. Are you being tracked by mobile?
Old 28-12-06, 09:00 PM   #23
Biker Biggles
Mega Poster

Mobile phones could be a problem,but are a bit of a red herring in this context.You can use an anonymous pay as you go phone,and, more important, they are not compulsory.Contrast that to a compulsory tracker in every vehicle and the impending ID cards(compulsory)that are mooted for the next decade and you have the framework for a total surveillance society.That's a problem to me,and IMHO,it's an incredibly complacent position to accept that as OK.
Old 28-12-06, 10:49 PM   #24
mysteryjimbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker Biggles
Mobile phones could be a problem,but are a bit of a red herring in this context.You can use an anonymous pay as you go phone,and, more important, they are not compulsory.Contrast that to a compulsory tracker in every vehicle and the impending ID cards(compulsory)that are mooted for the next decade and you have the framework for a total surveillance society.That's a problem to me,and IMHO,it's an incredibly complacent position to accept that as OK.
Its not compulsory to have a car either.

I see phones as a "necessity" as most people see cars. I've had one for 11 years. Several years before pay as you go came along. I could live without if i didnt want to be "tracked". I do live without a car and could live without a bike if i didnt want to be tracked.

Paranoia about tracking isnt going to stop it. It isnt intended for it and wont be used for it. If they wanted to track personal items you keep with you would be the way to go. Mobile phones and RFID should be causing a bigger stir. Your car isnt anywhere near you if you use public transport.

Conspiracy theorists all of ya. A load of rubbish

I'd also like to carry a single card with me, such as an id or drivers license. No more extra cards, credit cards, loyalty cards and all that crap. I'd like them all on one thank you.

EDIT: the reference to enemy of the state. His car wasnt being tracked, his clothes were (suggest RFID). Another suggestion could be the references in Demolition man to implanted chips causing people "show up in the grid" (ID Cards).
Old 29-12-06, 09:06 PM   #25
Biker Biggles
Mega Poster

We could go on for ever about the methodology,but the total surveillance society is coming rapidly here.That's what really concerns me.I suppose it boils down to how much you trust those who are given great power not to abuse it.Me?I don't trust them any further than I can throw them.
Old 30-12-06, 12:08 AM   #26
ArtyLady

I think all the problems would be solved if things went back to how they were a couple of hundred years ago, when no one commuted to work, they worked within the community they lived in and traded with each other.

well its a nice theory anyway

When I lost my licence due to ill health for 19 months, it made me think, that if I didnt already work from home I would have been stuffed. I did have to give up a part time job that I did alongside my business, 10 miles away as Im not good with public transport, so my only alternative would have been to have taken a job (not much in the way of choice though) in the town I live in which is within walking distance.

The upside is that I have discovered the joys of online grocery shopping
Old 30-12-06, 11:04 AM   #27
Jelster

They don't need to have the ability to track you so why do they want it ?? You could quite easily put toll booths on roads and tax the people that way, you could even find an independent company to do it too.

Taxing by the mile isn't fair, end of. People who live out of town sometimes have no option but to use private transport, and they didn't necessarily choose to live there either, they may have been brought up in the area.

If I have a meeting in Birmingham, and am "forced" to go by train, from where I live, I have to take a train to London, tube across town, and another train to get to Birmingham, then some other means to get to the meeting, a minimum of 3 hours. I can be there in 90 minutes by car, and I can be more productive as I don't lose a whol day for 1 meeting.

The theory may look good on paper, but in practice it just won't work....

Old 20-02-07, 10:30 PM   #28
skint

Default Re: Vehicle tracking/Road Pricing policy petition

Over 1.7m signatures! And all that signed will get an email from the PM...