SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 20-02-07, 09:13 AM   #1
Viney
Mega Poster

Default So then...Road pricing

Looks like it going to get pushed through in one way or another!!

But, if you had your way, and you HAD to do something about road pricing, or an alternitive to combat Climate change & Congestion (The 2 apprent reasons for it) What would you do/implement?
Viney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-07, 09:18 AM   #2
Tiger 55

Default Re: So then...Road pricing

A Supertrain.
If you give people great music, if you give them great coffee, they will Park and Ride, I know they will.
Old 20-02-07, 09:22 AM   #3
timwilky
Mega Poster

Make public transport, available, reliable, affordable.

I experienced the bus/train system in Switzerland. It was a pleasure to use. In the UK, they don't run. dirty, contain scroats etc.

If an integrated public transport system existed. I might be persuaded to abandon the car for trips in to town.

Good example. My wife as a nurse has to work weekends and her shift starts at 7.00. The first bus timetable here only leave the bus station on a sunday at 7:55. so how the hell are staff supposed to get to work?. Thats right use public transport!
Old 20-02-07, 09:23 AM   #4
keithd

thinking outside the box, and if i may bluesky this and run it up your flag pole - big tax concessions to work from home.
Old 20-02-07, 09:30 AM   #5
timwilky
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithd View Post
thinking outside the box, and if i may bluesky this and run it up your flag pole - big tax concessions to work from home.

I do work from home. In fact there now. But employers in the main do not like it. They forget that it saves on expensive office space, heating, lighting, furniture etc.

I get bull**** about networking, team building you are outside the loop etc. But what the heck, who is that they phone at 3am because of a problem in India. Thats right the guy who is already set up to work from his study and not required to drive into the office.

I think in the main it is an HR type problem. They are convinced we are all skivers who need a manager cracking the whip. The only real issue is insurance. What happens if I trip and bust my leg leaving this desk. Is it a work accident as I was working at the time or a domestic accident as I was at home etc.

Last edited by timwilky; 20-02-07 at 09:32 AM.
timwilky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-07, 09:32 AM   #6
Jabba

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithd View Post
That is the long-term answer but it requires a change in "management culture" and that they trust their staff.

The other answer is staggered school start times - the difference during the school hols is remarkable, although some of the difference may be journies not being made at all.
Old 20-02-07, 09:52 AM   #7
Ed

'To combat climate change' - oh purleeeeezzzzzzz

It's a pile of horse**** to tax everyone more.

More bikes. When did you last see a bike cause a traffic jam?
Old 20-02-07, 09:54 AM   #8
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

I agree with Tim sort out the mess that is our public transport system.

Also if people lived closer to work the could cycle or walk to work instead ( I know in an ideal world it would work )

I'm not discplined enough to work from home I dont get anything done as I get distracted far to easily.

Oh and to answer Ed's question. Out of Donnington or Thruxton on bike meet weekends its biking chaos

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-07, 09:58 AM   #9
Alpinestarhero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger 55 View Post
A Supertrain.
If you give people great music, if you give them great coffee, they will Park and Ride, I know they will.
Yes! Live bands on a train. Trains wouldnt run by their time, they'd run by their genre

"I think I'll take the Heavy Metal to work today"

Not sure about the coffee though, it gives me stomach cramps

Matt
Old 20-02-07, 10:00 AM   #10
Alpinestarhero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed View Post
'To combat climate change' - oh purleeeeezzzzzzz

It's a pile of horse**** to tax everyone more.

More bikes. When did you last see a bike cause a traffic jam?
I sorta did the other day, i stalled it moving between lanes of traffic...

hehe

Matt