SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 23-06-09, 03:42 PM   #1
Alex_Chambers

Default Unknown electrical fault?

Hello fellow SV'ers,

Riding my bike today, noticed all of a sudden I had lost speedo, rev counter, dash lights and indicators. Got back home and took off the seat to check fuses, of which one was blown. Replaced with the spare and problem was fixed (temporarily!). Thought best to check everything was running before setting off again, could see that speedo, rev counter and dash lights were working. Checked indicators left and right both working. Tried front brake, saw spark from fuse box, fuse was blown. Tried with a new fuse on rear brake, same outcome.

So to sum up with my minimal technical knowledge of my SV, it seems to blow a fuse whenever either brake is applied?! I have taken it to a garage who confirmed this but told me that it may take a while to diagnose the exact fault and therefore cost lots of money that I don't have!

Any suggestions or thoughts you have welcomed, but bare in mind I'm not that bright!

Cheers!

Alex
Old 23-06-09, 03:55 PM   #2
Bibio
Mega Poster

Default Re: Unknown electrical fault....?

chaffed/trapped wire in loom somewhere. i would start at the headstock part of the loom and see if there is any sign of chaffing. well at least you know its part of the brake switch circuit... good luck..
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-09, 05:53 PM   #3
dizzyblonde
Da Cake Boss
Mega Poster

Default Re: Unknown electrical fault?

check the block of wires under the left hand panel, that runs from over the headlights, particularly the red wire. Clean out the terminals and put them back in the block.

Hovis 13.8.75-3.10.09 Reeder 20.7.88-21.3.12
dizzyblonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-09, 06:08 PM   #4
rictus01
Mega Poster

Default Re: Unknown electrical fault?

given it's the brake light that's shorting, then the problem will be near to the rear light, probably where the loom goes around the frame behind the LH rear side panel.

Cheers Mark.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride!
rictus01 is offline   Reply With Quote