SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 15-02-18, 09:18 PM   #11
Bibio
Mega Poster

Default Re: Wills & solicitors

if there is a will then it makes life much much easier. my mun never left a will and it was a complete nightmare.

TBH a layer is the best bet as they have bank accounts set up where the funds are deposited. you tell them where the banks are that you want the funds lifted from and they do the rest and insure that each party is settled at the end. that way there is no arguing or anomosity between family members saying that it was not done right etc.etc.

its not easy closing bank accouts of deceased even with the correct paperwork.

if you do decide to do it yourself remember that you will need copies of the will and probate to send to each bank.

if there are any utility bills outsanding you need to send them copies of will as well. have fun with that... i got a bill a year after the account was closed demanding settlement which the solicitor had already done.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-18, 09:24 PM   #12
Bibio
Mega Poster

ooohh one more thing.. have HMRC been told that your mum has passed away, you might need to pay back pension funds or be entitled to a tax rebate.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-18, 09:35 PM   #13
maviczap
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
ooohh one more thing.. have HMRC been told that your mum has passed away, you might need to pay back pension funds or be entitled to a tax rebate.
Already done Bibs, one of the first things I did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
if there is a will then it makes life much much easier. my mun never left a will and it was a complete nightmare.

TBH a layer is the best bet as they have bank accounts set up where the funds are deposited. you tell them where the banks are that you want the funds lifted from and they do the rest and insure that each party is settled at the end. that way there is no arguing or anomosity between family members saying that it was not done right etc.etc.

its not easy closing bank accouts of deceased even with the correct paperwork.

if you do decide to do it yourself remember that you will need copies of the will and probate to send to each bank.

if there are any utility bills outsanding you need to send them copies of will as well. have fun with that... i got a bill a year after the account was closed demanding settlement which the solicitor had already done.
No utilities to pay, she was in a care home, I'd closed all her utility accounts when she went into care.

But getting the lawyer to distribute the estate isn't a bad idea, I used one when we sold my mum's house to pay for her care
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-18, 02:35 PM   #14
johnnyrod
Mega Poster

Up to you, looks pretty simple to me, but I am hardly an expert! I'd better ask - what's the deal with the pension? I told the DWP and they gave one final payment (for the month my dad died) which seemed odd but it's what they do, they said. I am guessing I'm square with them as they seemed happy, didn't know if I was missing something.
johnnyrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-18, 03:30 PM   #15
maviczap
Mega Poster

Yeah isn't complicated at all.

Think the last pension payment will depend on when the person passed away in the month and when their pension was paid?
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-18, 09:59 PM   #16
johnnyrod
Mega Poster

Can't really remember TBH. I rang them up (I rang almost everyone on the Monday, I was pretty much running it all anyway) and that's what they told me. I was just wondering, having read the above, if there was something else they might want. It all seems fairly joined up, things like Tell Us Once, which is a nice surprise! Even the DWP were very helpful when he was still alive, I thought they'd be a nightmare, especially to let me act for him.
Thanks
johnnyrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-18, 07:41 AM   #17
NTECUK
Mega Poster

I just went to the bank and set up an account to be used to collect the money.
Just need your ID proofs and probate.
Only thing I needed to use the solicitor for was the oath.
£10. With the documents your need for the bank ect.

Last edited by NTECUK; 18-02-18 at 07:44 AM.
NTECUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-18, 11:41 AM   #18
Heorot

I agree about the DWP. I had a complex history with contributions: in Serps, out Serps and back in again. Also graduated pension contribution etc. I expected there to be problems getting it all sorted but no. One 20 minute phone call and it was all sorted with no hassle at all.

Honda 125 CG blown engine Gone to the great mechanic in the sky
Naked SV650 K3 in Silver
Heorot is offline   Reply With Quote