SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 19-02-10, 03:07 PM   #1
scottjames

Default Fuel light query.

2001 curvey 650

does the fuel light flash then go solid or just flash?

This is the second time she's caught me out!!

Scott
Old 19-02-10, 03:09 PM   #2
Geodude
Mega Poster

Default Re: Fuel light query.

My 99 naked fuel light flashes until tank almost empty then goes solid

Electrical fault finding guide and Regulator rectifier test

Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.
Geodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-10, 03:19 PM   #3
Taipan

Mine flashes first and then goes solid. With my consumption (40-45mpg if lucky) its about 30 mile range in total with the last 10 on solid.
Taipan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-10, 06:03 PM   #4
pce13

mine just flashes then conks out no solid
Old 19-02-10, 06:04 PM   #5
phi-dan

Had similar trouble myself.

The fuel sensor has two thermistors (ntc) held at fixed heights in the tank. The current supplied to the thermistors causes them to warm up and reduce resistance, however, the fuel disipates the heat which keeps resistance high. Once the fuel level drops below the top thermistor, it heats up and drops resistance to 0 which triggers the flashing light on the dashboard. After the fuel drop below the second thermistor the light goes solid (note 1). However (and this is the part that caught me out) if the thermistors have degraded/broken, then they won't drop resistance enough to trigger the lights on their own, but together they can trigger the flashing light. You think you have 30ish miles to go, the bike cuts out after 10

The solution is to either replace the sensor unit, or to attempt a repair (note 2). On one of the Goldwing forums in America, there is a chap (http://www.duaneduncan.com/low%20fuel%20sensor.html, and also http://www.electronicspoint.com/ther...k-t123318.html) who has found that 1kOhm NTC thermistors will be adequate to replace the stock ones. I haven't tried this yet, but will do when I can get together an electrical parts order that comes to more then the postage costs!

Note 1: it doesn't matter which sensor is uncovered first, the light will flash with one thermistor uncovered then go steady with two (ooer).The test procedure in the Suzuki service manual involves dunking the sensor "upside down" into a container of fuel

Note 2: only attempt a repair if you are competent with electronics, as electricity and fuel can go bang (albeit highly unlikely in this application) and I have no desire to see you toast your bike

Last edited by phi-dan; 19-02-10 at 06:10 PM. Reason: added link
phi-dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-10, 06:49 PM   #6
scottjames

Cheers guys, so I think the concensus is tht it's meant to flash then go solid. However mine didn't, I pushed it and pushed it then after 15 miles with the light flashing it cut out. I mite have a spare sensor if not then I'm an apprentice at bae I'm sure my tutor could help me out.

Thank you

Scott
Old 19-02-10, 08:14 PM   #7
svrich

Mine is flash then solid. I can get a further 15 ish miles on a solid light but thats with a 55mpg average.
Old 19-02-10, 08:45 PM   #8
Grant66

Quote:
I'm an apprentice at bae
Was there a few weeks ago, there was a very nice bronze coloured pointy with twin exhausts in the car park (the one near reception). Is that yours?
Grant66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-10, 12:36 PM   #9
scottjames

nope not mine, ive got a black curvey. whch site was you at? scott
Old 28-02-10, 02:32 PM   #10
kevo115

is your bike a k3? if so it does not have the 2 stage sensor. just a solid light. it caught me out once.