SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 20-02-18, 10:29 PM   #1
Bibio
Mega Poster

Default freesat

anybody on here using freesat?

looking at downgrading my virgin to just broadband so i can offset the price of a new tv with the saving. at the mo i'm paying £65 for virgin tv+broadband and if i take just broadband its £35 so saving £30 a month to put towards new tv.

so my question is.. whats it like for navigating the 'planner'. cant have it too confusing for Mrs Bibs, she cant get on with sky planner, been there tried that.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-18, 06:45 AM   #2
pookie

Default Re: freesat

Have a look at boxes that use freetime
https://www.simplifydigital.co.uk/pr...reetime-guide/

I use an ageing humax hdr 1000 but the software does get updated.
Now - 2010 Triton blue sv650s -Back to the future
pookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-18, 08:23 AM   #3
Blue Flame
Mega Poster

I have Freesat and view it with an old humax Foxsat box and the planner is fine and easy to navigate in my opinion (albeit a bit sluggish compared to SKY).

If your thinking of getting a new TV I think the LG's have a sat tuner built in which may be something for you to look at?

Previous >> K3 SV650S - Candy Copper;Lower Fairing Set;Fender Extender; Powerbronze Screen; HEL Braided Lines;
Blue Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-18, 10:30 AM   #4
Talking Heads

Ive been using a Humax Foxsat HDR for years and am very happy with it.
My technophobe wife finds it really easy to navigate and use.

You can plug in a big USB hard drive at the back to increase the storage and can also transfer recordings easily using the front USB.

If you're feeling adventurous you can re-flash it to enable additional networking features.

These days I mostly use Netflix and other streaming options via a Roku Streaming Stick.

No idea what the current Humax boxes are like, they've probably moved on a fair bit since I got mine.
Talking Heads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-18, 10:46 AM   #5
Blue Flame
Mega Poster

I am the same as far as my viewing habits are concerned with streaming taking up most of my viewing these days. Mainly Netflix and Amazon Prime with an occasional dip into NOW TV(SKY).

I also reflashed the Foxsat for the additional networking capabilities but tend not to use those features much nowadays.

Having said that the Foxsat is still the default for recording all the series that are on the mainstream channels (BBC, STV etc).

Previous >> K3 SV650S - Candy Copper;Lower Fairing Set;Fender Extender; Powerbronze Screen; HEL Braided Lines;
Blue Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-18, 02:15 PM   #6
Bibio
Mega Poster

looking around it seems that the foxsat hd keep a decent price second hand which is a good sign. might just go for one of those and give it a try..

looked into getting a card for the computer but by all accounts they are very clunky.
Old 21-02-18, 04:20 PM   #7
L3nny
Mega Poster

I don't know how much of an investment Freesat is but it's old technology and everything is now moving online so might be a waste of money. Soon you'll be able to get all sky channels without a dish.
Id recommend getting an Xbox one, you can use a universal remote, it's got a 4k blu ray drive, the apps are easy to use and regularly updated and if you fancy it, you can play games on it too.
Old 21-02-18, 04:26 PM   #8
Talking Heads

You raise an interesting point, if at some point in the future Sky stop using satellite altogether, will Freesat cease as well?
Talking Heads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-18, 05:01 PM   #9
SV650rules
Mega Poster

We have been using Freesat for many years, our Panasonic TV has a satellite input so only investment needed was a dish and a bit of cable (£40 dish from Maplin fitted by me) - but if you want ability to record stuff will need a set-top box - quality is good in our area and it has never failed (unlike Virgin V6 box which screws up every time internet fails or modem gets its knickers in a twist and needs a reboot - which is too often). Sky claim that offering TV over internet is just an option to get out to more customers, and satellites don't just fall out of the sky, so I guess freesat will be around for a while. Freesat is definitely much better than terrestial signal in our area.

Some areas don't have good internet connections and speed is not enough to stream TV, so it depends where you live - as Freesat may not have any plans to go online it is probably worth a dish and a bit of cable + cheap Humax
box. Humax box seems to have pretty good menu, we often get them in our holiday cottages and learning curve is not too daunting.

https://www.broadbandchoices.co.uk/g...reesat-youview

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Last edited by SV650rules; 21-02-18 at 05:05 PM.
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-18, 06:52 PM   #10
Bibio
Mega Poster

the problem with 'online content' is the apps as they are all developed along the same lines as smart phones which require 'touch technology' which is difficult to navigate if you only have one hand you can use and part of your brain missing. its one of the reasons i put an HTPC 'kodi' in the living room as i could code the GUI to what was needed for the wife to be able to navigate it easily via remote control.

we had to get rid of the sky box as the wife got confused using it.

everything i introduce into into my wife's 'media experience' has to be controlled via easy menu and remote control e.g. 'scroll and click'.

dont even get me started on voice command..........