SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 11-03-18, 09:48 PM   #1
maviczap
Mega Poster

Default Video file size issue

I'm editing a video, and I've added a video file in Mp4 format

In Windows, it shows the file size as 1.12gb, but when I add it into the video editing software, its using 4gb?

So its taking up all the space on a blank DVD, which be the final output. Its only 1hr 15minutes of footage, so should only take up the 1.12GB

I've tried converting to another format to reduce its size, but the its still using up 4gb after I've converted the file.

I'm puzzled
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-18, 10:21 PM   #2
DarrenSV650S
Mega Poster

Default Re: Video file size issue

What program? You can usually choose what compression you use for video and audio which will affect the file size
DarrenSV650S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-18, 11:45 PM   #3
Bibio
Mega Poster

i think i'm right on this but its been a loooooong time since i have done any video editing so...

if you are converting to dvd then the disc needs to finalise so will take all space to do so, if you dont finalise then it might not be readable in drives. the data will not be or it might be larger depending on how compressed the mp4 was. remember that mp4, iso and mkv are all 'containers' just like rar and zip. with exception of iso the other formats can be compressed so when you decompress them e.g. burning to dvd the file size is actually bigger. usually not the size your looking at though.

the editing software will also need ram to decompress and will show as a bigger file. your going from a compressed file to a 'raw' file. 4gig for 1hr 15min sounds about right for dvd. most of your newer dvd's are 'DL' and as such can store longer movies.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-18, 07:22 AM   #4
NTECUK
Mega Poster

I miss the included dvd program in 7.
What's the best for ten.
Win X got me out of a corner.
But then it's free and you obviously get better.
Old 12-03-18, 08:56 AM   #5
maviczap
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrenSV650S View Post
What program? You can usually choose what compression you use for video and audio which will affect the file size
So far

Win X HD converter

Freemaker Video converter

Both have converted stuff in the past and reduced the file size, but not this time?

I used Handbrake to burn the file to a DVD RW which reduced it to about 3gb, from the +4gb.

Even though the file size is shown as 1.12gb in windows, there's another 3gb that I can't see.

Currently in my DVD menu I've got about 3gb from 2 titles, which are about an hour each.

When I add this file to the list, even though its only 1.12, the capacity bar for the dvd jumps to nearly 7gb for the dual layer dvd?

You can tell its better quality footage, but why is it only showing 1.12gb?

I'm just trying VLC media player to convert it

Last edited by maviczap; 12-03-18 at 08:58 AM.
Old 12-03-18, 09:02 AM   #6
maviczap
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
i think i'm right on this but its been a loooooong time since i have done any video editing so...

if you are converting to dvd then the disc needs to finalise so will take all space to do so, if you dont finalise then it might not be readable in drives. the data will not be or it might be larger depending on how compressed the mp4 was. remember that mp4, iso and mkv are all 'containers' just like rar and zip. with exception of iso the other formats can be compressed so when you decompress them e.g. burning to dvd the file size is actually bigger. usually not the size your looking at though.

the editing software will also need ram to decompress and will show as a bigger file. your going from a compressed file to a 'raw' file. 4gig for 1hr 15min sounds about right for dvd. most of your newer dvd's are 'DL' and as such can store longer movies.
You're on the money I think, as I read something along these lines, I think the 3gb is in part of the container I can't see.

Not got to the finalising part yet, just adding the files to the menu.
Old 12-03-18, 01:45 PM   #7
Bibio
Mega Poster

is it the mp4 that is 1.2gig or the 'raw edited' file that is 1.2gig?

also dont use 'RW' discs you dont need to, in fact some older DVD standalone players dont recognise them. just use standard discs.

if the disc is not going to be played in an older standalone player then no need to convert to 'DVD structure'. most new dvd players of say 5 years should happily play mp4.

how many of these discs are you needing to make?

have you added a 'menu' to the mp4 file and is it working on the PC or have you edited in Raw, 'dvd structure' with menu?

i'm not fully up on creating dvd's these days as i'm working the opposite way. someone with more knowledge than me might be along to help
Old 12-03-18, 04:19 PM   #8
maviczap
Mega Poster

Well the VLC conversion didn't work very well.

However I did manage to convert the mp4 to to a DVD, which can be opened, and this then shows the Mp4 contained 3 chapters, all 1.4gb in size, so that explains why the file shows within my DVD editor as being at least 3gb.

So the MP4 file must contain the same, but the shell of the MP4 container only registers 1.12GB

Bib's I'm only using DVD RW to convert the file into a DVD, my blu ray player plays it no problem, the final disc will be DVD DL
Old 12-03-18, 05:33 PM   #9
Bibio
Mega Poster

when you are using your editing software to create the OSD for chapters and such are you working directly with the mp4?

most editing software these days can split your mp4 into sections or add 'metadata' index to tell the OSD where the 'chapters' are. ''''you can then save the whole project as'''' mp4 or mkv, etc.etc. once you have 'compiled' your mp4 or mkv with index and OSD then you just need to burn as 'data disc'. if your bluray/dvd player supports mp4/mkv playback then it will read the file from the disc. as long as everything is contained within the mp4 or mkv.

if your just doing this for yourself then no need to burn a disc and instead just put the 'compiled' mp4/mkv it on a thumb drive and plug into tv or bluray player usb port.

if you want to hand hard copies out to friends and family not knowing what hardware they have the yes you need to burn as 'dvd' if not then burn the compiled mp4 or mkv as 'data disc'.

as long as the finished product contains all the chapters and OSD it matters not what the 'container' (mp4 or mkv) is as long as that container supports playback of chapters etc.etc

its the converting to 'DVD' that is taking up the space as its decompiling the mp4 to 'raw'.

its the same as burning a CD using mp3's even though the mp3 is 1.2mb when its converted into 'WMA' it will be 10 times the size depending on the original mp3 bit size.

Last edited by Bibio; 12-03-18 at 05:39 PM.
Old 12-03-18, 07:22 PM   #10
Talking Heads

Back in the day when I used optical discs any time I created a DVD I just used the main title and binned all the menus and rubbish.
I used Devede to create the ISO then Brasero to write it.
There's a Devede for Windows but don't know if its any good.
The Linux version works a treat

https://devede.org/download/choose
Talking Heads is offline   Reply With Quote