SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 07-12-21, 03:55 PM   #311
admin
John T
Mega Poster

Default Re: Electric Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckypants View Post
Follow the link in the article to Agile Streets (https://agilestreets.com/) and there is a map showing partner councils. Click on Shropshire to see where the chargers will be in your area.
Hmm. Abbey car park is quite large, 6 chargers is a good start I suppose.

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk
Old 07-12-21, 05:52 PM   #312
svenrico

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV650rules View Post
Are you even allowed to modify council property like that ? If the cable gets damaged the metalwork could become live.
You aren't allowed to modify an adopted footway. On new housing estates roads and footways usually come under a Section (forget what it is ) Agreement with the Highways authority. Not sure if the footway in front of our house comes under the County Council Highways or our town council .There is a grass verge between the footway and the County council estate road. I would be ok anyway because I have a private drive and garage at the back of the house.
An interesting situation though. Could it actually put some people off owning electric cars if they can't charge up at home ?!
svenrico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-21, 07:17 PM   #313
BoltonSte
Mega Poster

We have a mid terrace, 30ft front garden onto a main road and random parking at the rear, not enough spaces in an old bit of waste land. The highways view is that you can only leave and enter the main road in 1st gear. It's double yellows on our side (I have asked if their view will change based on the push for this).

I like the idea of elec, although at the moment it's not practical. No charging options at work, already commute an hour. Other than maybe the odd supermarket I haven't seen anywhere to charge. Charging overnight at home is where practicality comes in, the less disruptive it is, the more likely it will be adopted by the masses.
BoltonSte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-21, 07:26 PM   #314
Luckypants
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by svenrico View Post
You aren't allowed to modify an adopted footway. On new housing estates roads and footways usually come under a Section (forget what it is ) Agreement with the Highways authority. Not sure if the footway in front of our house comes under the County Council Highways or our town council .There is a grass verge between the footway and the County council estate road. I would be ok anyway because I have a private drive and garage at the back of the house.
An interesting situation though. Could it actually put some people off owning electric cars if they can't charge up at home ?!
It's the council who are putting those in. Helps to read the linked article.
Snow Plough Appreciation Society - Member #3

Luckypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-21, 09:17 PM   #315
svenrico

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckypants View Post
It's the council who are putting those in. Helps to read the linked article.
I was responding to SV650 rules query ,but how many councils are actually going to provide charging points to all houses that need them ?!
Old 12-12-21, 08:44 PM   #316
svenrico

There was a quite interesting programme on tv the other night looking at charging of electric vehicles . They said some dwellings (not all consumer units are suitable apparently ) with off road parking can have a charging box installed on an outside wall for about £1000. They quoted the particular car they had as requiring 28 hours for a full charge off an ordinary domestic socket, with the charging box reducing that time by two thirds. They said not all ev's have the same charging plug ,I assume that must be the plug that goes into the socket in the car and not the charging point !
As far as I remember I don't think they actually discussed the problems for dwellings that don't have off road parking.
On 5th gear something or other they tested 3 ev's and voted a Honda car the winner even though it only had a range of about 130 miles which doesn't seem much to me.
Old 12-12-21, 09:21 PM   #317
Bibio
Mega Poster

hotel owners are missing out. i cant find any hotels B&B etc.etc in mid north scotland that have charging points.

who is responsible for installing public charge points?
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-21, 09:41 PM   #318
svenrico

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
hotel owners are missing out. i cant find any hotels B&B etc.etc in mid north scotland that have charging points.

who is responsible for installing public charge points?
Whatever authority owns the land presumably - Town council, District council, County council as appropriate I assume.
ps don't know if there are any Planning requirements for ev charging points on new developments nowadays.
Old 12-12-21, 09:53 PM   #319
svenrico

'Remainder of the UK
While there is not a universal, or consistent approach to chargepoint provision, many local authorities have developed their own guidance which is often built on the London Plan model.
Tip: The approach of mandating proportions of active chargepoints can cause challenges with which bays should receive them, particularly on sites where bays would normally be allocated. For guidance we recommend you speak to our Built Environment team.
What EV charging requirements can we expect in the future?
Future National Policy
The government’s Road to Zero strategy expressed their intention that, in due course, a chargepoint is installed in every home with parking. They are currently consulting on what this would mean for the development industry and are considering their requirement. Options include mandating either active or passive chargepoints in each development, whilst appropriate proportions and the best holistic approach to the challenges are being investigated, with consultations are ongoing.'
ps the above is quoted from a government, I think it was, website, not my own comments.

Last edited by svenrico; 13-12-21 at 12:23 PM.
Old 12-12-21, 10:37 PM   #320
Bibio
Mega Poster

unless you have 3 phase at your house (no chance) then you are restricted to 7kw charging which takes hours and hours to charge.

if your out and about and need a fast charge 22kw+ your pretty much stuffed as they are very very few and far between. i can guarantee each maker will have their own network of charge points on their smart app so will guide you to it instead of the nearest...

motability will be the first to roll out massive amounts of EV's but to date i have not seen one single charging point at disabled parking bays.

so leccy vehicles are only good for glorified shopping trolleys.

going on longer drives you will be constantly paranoid.......

i looked into hybrid... its a worse joke than EV.

Tesla is the ONLY feasible EV due to its range 280 miles and that was over 5 years ago.

EV is a joke....
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote