SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 09-04-13, 09:23 AM   #1
BigV

Default Swingarm bobbin bolt stuck in swingarm

Hellooooooo fellow riders from across the sea Got a problem I hope someone can offer sound advice on...

As per pic below, the bobbin broke off but the bolt is still stuck in. As you can see...there is a tiny bit of it raised...just a little...but no enough to grip with something. Any idea how to get it out? I thought about using that super bonding cement...glue a bar onto it...leave it for 48hours and then unscrew it. If that super bonding cement can hold a connection with tons of pressure...surely that will work? Otherwise..any recommendations on how to get it out?

PS: Yeah the chain doesn't look great...I need to replace it

Old 09-04-13, 10:52 AM   #2
Owenski

Default Re: Swingarm bobbin bolt stuck in swingarm

Drill and Tap would be my bet when its that flush.
Old 09-04-13, 11:48 AM   #3
Ratty

I think the hole is M8 and goes all the way through ( I'm at work so can't look ). Bladder it with eas-it oil and leave overnight. Give the center a sharp tap with a hammer and drift, then drill it 6 mm from the other side. Hopefully the heat and rotation should just wind it out.

HTH Ratty
Old 09-04-13, 02:06 PM   #4
BigV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owenski View Post
Drill and Tap would be my bet when its that flush.
Thanks for this, will try it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratty View Post
I think the hole is M8 and goes all the way through ( I'm at work so can't look ). Bladder it with eas-it oil and leave overnight. Give the center a sharp tap with a hammer and drift, then drill it 6 mm from the other side. Hopefully the heat and rotation should just wind it out.

HTH Ratty
Yeah, it goes the whole way through. Never thought of this option, and that makes perfect sense, as the drill bit goes clockwise, so drilling from the other side might actually work if I can get enough lube on it. Brilliant.
Old 12-06-13, 11:52 AM   #5
BigV

The SV went in for a new chain and sprockets (as you can probably tell from the pic above it was needed)...and I asked them to try get that piece out. They couldnt get it out...seems the thread is a bit messed when the bobbin snapped off. A little worrying as this happened with the previous owner and I dont know under what circumstances it broke off. Bike shows no other sign it was dropped or in an accident...so how it snapped off...no idea.

Mechanic said there are people that can come to my place and remove it. Even so, risk of the thread on the swingarm being stuffed is high.

So I have 2 choices...get a paddock stand that connects to the other side of the swingarm, or take the bike in for a new swingarm (the one side is scratched badly too). I have a feeling a paddock stand for the one side only will be cheaper than buying a new swingarm and getting it fitted....
Old 12-06-13, 11:55 AM   #6
maviczap
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigV View Post
The SV went in for a new chain and sprockets (as you can probably tell from the pic above it was needed)...and I asked them to try get that piece out. They couldnt get it out...seems the thread is a bit messed when the bobbin snapped off. A little worrying as this happened with the previous owner and I dont know under what circumstances it broke off. Bike shows no other sign it was dropped or in an accident...so how it snapped off...no idea.

Mechanic said there are people that can come to my place and remove it. Even so, risk of the thread on the swingarm being stuffed is high.

So I have 2 choices...get a paddock stand that connects to the other side of the swingarm, or take the bike in for a new swingarm (the one side is scratched badly too). I have a feeling a paddock stand for the one side only will be cheaper than buying a new swingarm and getting it fitted....
Or get an ABBA stand, which doesn't use bobbins.

I know you're over the pond, but an ABBA stand is a worthwhile investment, would save you a lot of hassle.

http://www.abbastands.co.uk/
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-13, 12:04 PM   #7
wideguy

There are such things as left hand drill bits, designed to cut while turning counter clockwise. They're a good choice for drilling broken bolts like yours prior to using a screw extractor.
Many companies make screw extractors, some work better than others. I prefer those made by Snap-On.
Old 12-06-13, 12:24 PM   #8
BigV

Thanks guys for these alternatives