SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 24-04-13, 08:39 AM   #1
Pricey12

Default Exhaust scratching swingarm?

I recently fitted a Delkevic carbon stubby to my curvy and overall am very happy with it. I've noticed though that I have a pretty deep gouge on my swingarm right next to the exhaust. It may well have been there before (maybe from a previous can?)and I just haven't seen it until now. I know some of the early Delkevic cans had issues with the link pipe not fitting properly on curvys causing the exhaust to rub, but that was a few years ago now. The fit is pretty snug between the swingarm and the exhaust, but there is a small gap. I've had a look at the exhaust itself next to the scratched part on the swingarm and there is no damage at all to it - I would imagine if it was catching enough to gouge the swingarm it would scratch the exhaust too. Have a look at the photo's and see what you think (gouge is in the first pic - sorry about the poor quality).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20130424_090700.jpg (116.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20130424_090520.jpg (124.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20130424_090506.jpg (114.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20130424_090402.jpg (112.8 KB, 0 views)
Old 24-04-13, 08:55 AM   #2
rictus01
Mega Poster

Default Re: Exhaust scratching swingarm?

That does look a bit close, do you have any lateral play in the swingarm at all ?

What I'd do is apply some paint to the swingarm, ride around for a few days and look again, it'll be obvious if it's a current issue or a past one.

Cheers Mark.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride!
rictus01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-13, 09:02 AM   #3
Pricey12

Quote:
Originally Posted by rictus01 View Post
That does look a bit close, do you have any lateral play in the swingarm at all ?

What I'd do is apply some paint to the swingarm, ride around for a few days and look again, it'll be obvious if it's a current issue or a past one.

Cheers Mark.
I don't think there's any play in the swingarm, but will check when I can get her on the paddock stand at the weekend. Good idea about the paint. Maybe I can use a bit of tippex or something instead as will be easier to get off

Seems strange that there is no damage to the can at all if it were scraping. Fingers crossed it's a historic issue.
Old 24-04-13, 06:16 PM   #4
maviczap
Mega Poster

I had similar problems with my old curvy set up, with a round Scorpion can and low level link pipe.

It was better with an oval Fuel can.

Even with my new high level exhaust, there's not much clearance between the link pipe & swingarm
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-13, 06:45 PM   #5
jmsvuk

Move your exhaust band around the can from the inside of the footpeg hanger to the outside that should give you enough clearance.
Old 25-04-13, 08:11 AM   #6
Pricey12

Got the bike on the paddock stand yesterday and no discernible lateral play in swingarm. I have a feeling the scratching is historic as it feels fairly smooth (I wet and dryed and polished the swingarm a while ago). Will keep an eye on it and see how it is in a week or so.
Thanks all.
Old 25-04-13, 10:23 AM   #7
Pricey12

Just had a thought. Could I use a couple of washers where the exhaust strap attaches to the hanger to space it out a bit? May be a nice cheap fix...
Old 25-04-13, 11:01 AM   #8
Owenski

You're hanger bracket is on the inside of the pillion hanger mount.
Loosen the bolts on the link pipe so you can rotate it, this will allow you to move the pipe to align further away from the swingarm. Then fix the hanger bracket to the outside of the hanger mount, problem solves zero pennies spent.
Old 25-04-13, 12:19 PM   #9
Pricey12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owenski View Post
You're hanger bracket is on the inside of the pillion hanger mount.
Loosen the bolts on the link pipe so you can rotate it, this will allow you to move the pipe to align further away from the swingarm. Then fix the hanger bracket to the outside of the hanger mount, problem solves zero pennies spent.
Will have a look at doing this. Link pipe and end can need to come off anyway to put some exhaust sealant on them. Thanks.
Old 26-04-13, 07:26 AM   #10
quik_d

Yep, bracket is on the wrong side, how loud is that exhaust?